Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Thu May 17 2012 12:32:06

eBay Free Listing Day - Fail

By: Reader
Thank you for the "heads up" on the eBay free listing day yesterday. If it had not been for your site notice I don't think ANYONE would have known it was going on. I am a member of one of the longest and fairly well informed eBay Forums and NONE of us received notice of this event. I have two seller accounts and did not get notice on either one.

We have also collectively noticed a few disturbing things.

One is - no views. No listings are showing in Search after being posted (one I checked on I know had over 100 individual items listed by a very dedicated and experienced seller and - 21 items were showing on her account as being listed at 11 PM Eastern time. Items had been listed much earlier in the day.

Other sellers had problems with items coming up as being listed in the wrong category entirely.

Others had an interesting issue - items would be listed with no views and suddenly there were bids on them. One item I got a bid on was something that for a long while I have been selling versions of quite frequently. However for months now - thru the Easter season one of the best times to sell these religious items - I had NO SALES on these. Now out of no where I had a sale within the first seconds of listing. Not at all unhappy for a sale but just - odd.

I opined that I wondered if the sneaky brains at eBay were sitting there rubbing their hands together and saying "Oh My! We gave these sellers just exactly what they SAY they want - FREE LISTINGS! And NO ONE used them! See what ungrateful little wretches they are! Well we won't be doing THAT again any time soon!".

Just sayin'.

It does seem like too many people were affected by this failure to actually notify sellers for this to be coincidence. Conspiracy? Perhaps. You would THINK that eBay would WANT all its various sellers great and small to sell things otherwise they don't make any money do they. Or did I miss something here? That IS how you run a business, isn't it?

Please remove my name.

Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: eBay Free Listing Day - Fail

eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: Kelly This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 17 15:00:17 2012
I received an email notice about the sale on my hardly used eBay account. But on my ''main'' selling account that I've had for over 10 years and sold thousands of items with as recently as Monday? Nada.
This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu May 17 16:21:39 2012
Ditto on no notice sent to either my e-mail account or the woeful eBay Messages system.

Maybe the "message" was pushed down in the search order for "Best Message" er Match.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: fortunately This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 17 19:30:31 2012
I received a notice in my email  at 11:45 pm but since I don't check it every day and time was extremely late given time it posted on Ebay announcements at 4 pm. I received nothing in my Ebay messages which is what I depend on more.

Also, I got nothing in email or Ebay messages for the April 26 3-day fixed sale.

Only way I can keep informed is by checking Ebay announcement the night before I list anything.

My impression is that Ebay is doing it deliberately when I get nothing in my messages for 2 sales in a row.

Fortunately
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu May 17 22:44:04 2012
"Free" ... and worth every cent.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 17 23:45:17 2012
I had not received the notice on either accounts that I have. I also have noticed that my sales have drastically dropped, I mean drastically for the last 3 months and some times I can't find my listings in the search results. I am a top rated power seller so I would like to know why.
I also noticed I am not receiving the additional 5% discount as promised on top of the 20% as long as I qualify and follow their rules which I have been.
I don't take advantage of their so called free listing days because they still make plenty off of the final value fees. The only time I take advantage of their free days is when all fees are free.
I did notice a new option for the first time this evening to have an assistant to close non payment cases, which I took advantage of. Will be nice to not have to deal with them anymore.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: Bill This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 18 01:10:34 2012
No email notice at all but it does not matter since I am not listing auctions that much any more. No use giving stuff away to the bottom feeders.

Bill
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 18 02:18:36 2012
I received notice on both of my accounts.  I understand that not getting the email is concerning and it should be.  But what should be of far more concern is What the Heck is going on with the Search.

On one of my accounts I posted like 200 auctions.  A couple hours later I could only search and retrieve a handful of them.  Views were zero.  This is very unusual for the items I posted.  I've been at this a long time and Never have I had so many with no views.

This is a serious problem.  You can go to the Ebay threads and see that lots of people have been affected.  Sales really started dropping the last week of April and have only continued to go down.  It's very odd.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: msquezal This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 18 07:40:49 2012
"List up to 5000 items FREE"
Yeah, right!
Me and what army?
It is the most laughable sale ever. I am a one man band, your typical small seller. I buy the merchandise, clean it, take the pictures, adjust the lighting, write the auction, and then post it. I have been selling on eBay since 2000 and even on a good day with a high energy level and the luck of the Irish on my side i could only post 8-10 auctions at best....and that's if the pictures were ready and my day was clear to sit and list! Yes, re-lists would be available to help boost that total but eBay never really did any favors the small seller by offering a "free" listing day. We just thought they did! I remember getting hysterical trying to push hard, work all day and night to save myself a few dollars at best. I never thought about the huge amount of extra auctions i would have to compete with if they were even given any visibility at all. Pathetic how Ebay hypnotized us into believing we were getting something "special" from them! Oh those were the days!
It seems that no one has learned that eBay does nothing for small sellers, and to believe that they are giving you something for nothing is simply a fairy tale. Now i just chuckle and delete the "free-day" email from my inbox. No fond memories left at all.....not a one!
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: gmcreager This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 18 08:26:57 2012
I also have two accounts, my little used personal account and my business account. The email from eBay about the ''free'' listing day was only sent to my personal account. Apparently they were trying to generate new sales from rarely used accounts but did not want large quantity sellers to take advantage of it. How typical!
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: Dazzle This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 18 09:14:41 2012
I can't remember when I utilized on of these "free" days on ebay - for me it's just a super overload of chinese items by singular sellers with 20 id's - all identical product right down to the picture and description. There's really little point in me expending the effortto list - I could be watching a good movie. As the op pointed out ebay can use it as a "see" point of reference but does it really matter anymore? Where's the business on ebay anyway? Can't tell by me. If business on ebay was so great they wouldn't need to be prostituting listings with advertising and charging sellers for the listing to boot. After so many years there I am moving away from ebay entirely - I'm a capitolist and I no longer work to fill the ebay coffers. Business needs to be a 2 way not one way street. I'm taking control of my business back and steering the ship myself so wether or not I got the auction notice makes no difference to me. They rarely worked for me to begin with and only brought out the low-ballers who want everything for nothing and the seller pays all the bills.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 18 10:21:17 2012
No, no notice at all.  The only way I knew was because of the post here.  Not that it mattered.  I listed one item and the ''free'' listing came out of my 50/month free instead of the free listings for that day.  What the heck?  Not that it matters.  I'll be surprised if I use up 10 of those 50 anyway.  I mean what's the point?  And I've been listing on Yardsellr as an alternative channel for the items I would normally place on eBay for a week now and I have to say the sales are nice.  Really nice.  Wish I had posted on there sooner.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
This user has validated their user name. by: DonC
Fri May 18 11:33:13 2012
I listed a few items via Auctiva. All posted one hour late approximately 8:44 PST.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 18 12:14:36 2012
I know it is popular to blame sellers from China and Diamond sellers for many of the main stream seller's problems.  But if you think about it more logically, it is not as much their problem / fault as many would like us to believe.  It's just that they are an easy target.  Don't get me wrong, I too am very annoyed of how much Ebay favors them, but that doesn't make them the reason for everything that goes wrong.

They don't sell in every category for one.  I mostly sell in two different categories.  One has absolutely no diamond sellers in it nor are there any sellers from China.  So why are my sales so bad, it can't be their fault.

Again, diamond sellers and sellers from China do not sell in all categories, therefore much of what has been said on this thread is not realistic.

As to sales when there are free listing days.  I personally have mixed results.  Most times, sales do just fine.  Maybe that is because so many feel it is a waste of time to post on free listings days as there is far more competition, I don't know.  I can only speak for myself.  I do just fine normally.

However, There currently is something wrong.  Something seriously wrong.  Huge delays in listings showing in the searches, searches not returning correct informations, and probably other problems as well.  I can tell you for sure that sales are significantly down across the board for me since the last week of April.  I have listings getting no views at all for the entire week they are posted.  None.  That just doesn't typically happen with so many of my listings.  In fact I've never seen it before.  Something is seriously wrong but of course Ebay is not fessing up.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 18 15:14:06 2012
Marie observes: ''They don't sell in every category for one.''

This is true, but at the same time, with their overwhelming presence in the categories that they DO list in... it changes the entire dynamic of eBay. In some cases, the site becomes unusable with page after page of dollar-store and other commodity items. And on another level, when buyers begin to associate eBay with this type of junk... and as a site where nothing is unique, then it also stands to reason that those buyers will wander off to other sites. eBay's reputation is irreparably tarnished in that regard.
eBay Free Listing Day - Fail   eBay Free Listing Day - Fail
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 18 15:17:39 2012
I sell items that are NOT the sort to be duplicated by mega sellers from anywhere so this is NOT how or why my particular items are going unseen!

So I agree with MARIE===something ELSE is going on  here that makes NO SENSE.

If people with essentially NO competition are really getting NO views---and NO sales---there is something that is costing BOTH FleeceBay AND sellers of ALL sizes money.

I have about 70 items listed right now some of which SHOULD under all the laws of probability at least have had some shopper drop by and LOOK.  But yet---nopers.  Even with reduced sales---and I do mean REDUCED!!!---I had lookers--or at least I was TOLD I had lookers---and I had questions.  Nada.  And I even tried to ASK a question of a seller and was given a message--on ALL of the persons listings---that I was NOT ALLOWED to ask a question.  How can you make sure that the item is what you WANT if you can't ask a question?  Is this ANOTHER barrier ebay is trying to place between the buyer and seller?

I just can't quite figure out---what.

Or---why.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 18 15:36:15 2012
@Annie

While most times I do agree with you, we differ on this subject.  Yes Diamond Sellers & sellers from China are issues sometimes, they are NOT the cause or major cause of the current problems as previously explained in this thread.  It's far deeper than that.

Besides, in the many categories that they do NOT sell in and don't appear in the searches, then how can they be held responsible for the problems, it makes no sense.  I know most don't like them, but that certainly doesn't equal being responsible.

@ comet

YES YES YES.  I'm telling you, something happened starting the last week of April.  I've been at this for over a decade and I have NEVER had the vast majority of 200+ auctions get ZERO traffic in a week.  I did some test searches and most didn't even come up in the searches.  This is a HUGE problem.

Now some of the things that I think are going on is that Ebay is overwhelmed and I don't mean just with the free listings.  I think those are a way to try and make up for the lack of sales to sellers.  I convinced it has something to do with these new ads they are putting into our listings.

I think that they are playing with them and tweeking them so much that they are using too much of Ebay's resources both hardware and software.  It's having a chain reactions.

There have been plenty of times I've been on Ebay in the past few weeks and it has been slower than slow.  It's terrible.

Odd thing with those ads.  There was a little thing you could click on around the ad to give your comment to Ebay.  I did that and voice my opinion that they don't belong in space that I rent / pay for.  And to add insult to injury, they are using a PRIME area that should be for my product.  If they have to advertise is should be lower on the listing and not in Prime space.  Well a couple days later, all the ads disappeared off my listing.  I noticed that most other sellers still had them on their listings, but mine were gone.  Now I notice that they are gone on most listings or at least listings I've looked at for other sellers.

Not sure what's going on, but something sure is and Ebay isn't saying and it's costing me, you and everyone money.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 18 17:21:51 2012
Oh no, Marie... I also don't think that those sellers are responsible for what's happening now. I'm just saying that they contribute to the eBay's cluttered disarray... which in turn discourages and drives away a portion of buyers. --- THEN when something else happens (like what we're experiencing now) the overall effects of of the problem are amplified due to the apparent dwindling supply of buyers. It's a cumulative effect that just builds on itself. Taken alone, each thing might be tolerable... but in combination with each other, the outcome is unbearable and devastating to those who can least afford to weather-out the storm. (Actually, that's not a very good metaphor considering that in this case, we're not dealing with a storm, but instead, the ''calm'' of having no traffic.)
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 18 19:37:38 2012
@Annie

You are absolutely correct.  However I don't think the problem is no traffic.  I think the traffic is there, they get frustrated with the search function or can't find what they are looking for because the searches aren't working correctly so they move on and go elsewhere.

AS to sales, if I look at how many transactions I had in January [which was slightly lower than normal] and compare that with subsequent months I find the following information.

February was up 6%
March down 22%
April down 45%
May [1st half] down 52%

That is really bad, at least for me.  whatever the problem is, it is hugely affecting my sales and I'm sure many others.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 18 20:26:33 2012
Only 52%? Lucky you. ~ I know it's not a competition... but mine are hovering at 25% of normal. (And I'm sorry to hear your dismal numbers.)

I've got over 100 items listed (a lot for me) and half of them have zero views. This is strange because most of the time, whenever I upload a listing with TurboLister... each listing seemed to appear with 1-view automatically. For the longest time I thought that was eBay's way of patting-sellers-on-the-head so that they won't worry when the first pageview doesn't arrive quickly enough.

Now... nothin. Nada. Zip.

We small ''artsy-crafty'' OOAK and flea-market sellers have been moved to the back of the bus. Segregated and isolated. This time it's not simply a matter of others being given preferential treatment... we small sellers are now being punished, or treated as though we're carrying plague.... quarantined.

If we die, then eBay will justify it by claiming that our business model wasn't ''healthy enough'' to play with the big-boys. If we survive, we'll be too weak to compete effectively.

It sounds like a good plan... but frankly I don't think they're smart enough to come up with that.

This is just pure incompetence and indifference. No testing, no research. Every decision they make is based on attempting to do a Kreskin impersonation. Just a shot in the dark, and they hope to hit their target... but they end up hitting small sellers squarely in the chest every time.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 18 20:32:12 2012
@Annie

It's not just the small sellers though.  I'm not a small seller.  Not a large seller either, but somewhat above what we would probably consider a small seller.  I think this problem is pretty widespread which would mean that Ebay is experiencing a noticable loss in fees earned.

Letters Blog Recent Posts