Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Thu Apr 19 2012 00:17:50

Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?

By: Reader
In your recent article about eBay running another test of ads in listings, you included a screen-capture that shows how a listing appears with a large display ad. In the example, the ad is promoting eBay's mobile smartphone app.

One thing that struck me about the screen-capture image was that small mobile devices (the small "netbook" notebook computers or tablet computers) may not be able to clearly display BOTH the seller's product image and the ad at the same time. With a narrow screen, it's likely that a buyer may need to scroll from side-to-side in order to view the listing.

I imagine that these ads will be "targeted" ads, and that they will probably be ads for items that are identical (or similar) to the product in the listing itself. No doubt, this will contribute to any confusion the buyer may have.

Ultimately, when the hasty buyer receives the item that they actually purchased... their disappointment (and/or anger) will likely be expressed in the form of negative feedback and low DSR scores.

Or, at minimum, the buyer will open a case and demand a refund. Open-cases still count against buyers, right?

And even if it all works out in the end... even if the buyer gets their refund... what becomes of the seller? Will they receive their item back safely? Will the seller still have to pay to re-list the item? Will the seller get a refund of the final value fees and PayPal transaction fees?

This whole thing just has "disaster" written all over it.
Sincerely,
A Loyal Reader

Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?

Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?   Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?
This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Apr 19 01:13:39 2012
eBay does not care that buyers may be confused with ad placement when viewed on mobile devices, nor are they concerned in the least that sellers may be negatively impacted.

eBay is getting paid for clicks on these ads, so the confusion created by the placement of those advertisements plays right into their hands. The more errant clicks the ads receive, the more revenue eBay will collect.

That sellers items may not sell is of no concern to eBay management.

The primary goal is to have sellers pay to place listings over and over again that will be infringed upon by eBay with ads that generate revenue for eBay.

Buyers will soon tire of searching for an item they want only to be bombarded with ads for items they have no interest in and do not want.

Eventually, buyers will be annoyed to the point that they stop buying on eBay. Then, and only then will management take notice of how their money grab destroyed their marketplace business.

Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?   Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?
by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 19 11:15:51 2012
"Considering the "above-the-fold" location of the ad, AND it's close proximity to the "buy-now" button (and also considering that many buyers can be hasty)... it seems very possible that some buyers may see the ad image, and click the "buy-now" button with the expectation that they are buying the product displayed in the ad image."

....and of course the seller will be blamed for the mix up because Ebay is NEVER wrong!
Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?   Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Apr 19 11:27:45 2012
The experience I had with a recent PITA customer convinces me that this could very well happen.

I did not have enough information from my customer to fulfill her order. I wanted my communication to be ''officially documented'' so I dutifully used the eBay message system to try an contact her.

After a couple of days of trying to communicate with my customer through the eBay message system (with no reply) I decided to bypass it and use the email address that appeared in her PP receipt.

''Please check your eBay messages'' I wrote to her. My message explained ''I need additional information to complete your order''.

Her reply let me know that she used a smartphone and she didn't fully read the listing, therefore didn't realize she could specify color and size options. She also admitted that eBay-mail was tedious to use and she preferred direct emails.

In the end, she was polite and cooperative, and we completed the transaction successfully. Still, her use of a smartphone was the reason she did not read the listing fully....and the reason she did not know additional input was needed from her....also the reason that she did not bother to respond to messages from me that were sent through the EMS....and ultimately it was the reason for a three-day delay in completing the transaction.

Had she not been patient and understanding, this could easily have spun out of control with even longer delays.

Yes, it was HER responsibility to fully read the listing....and it was HER responsibility for checking her messages. But guess who ultimately pays for it? (If you guessed ''the seller''....then you're correct.)

If there was a way for me to opt-out of selling to smartphone shoppers, I would.
Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?   Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 20 01:03:56 2012
We have used a "Smartphone" to purchase ONE thing that we had been keeping an eye on.  But that was before the new ads AND we had carefully looked at and read the listing on a regular old lap top.

Now I DO get email updates via smart phone for one of our accounts due to the seperate emails we need to have.  And my daughter---whose phone it is---DOES complain about the messages and then I have to go and log into the account and check them on line via lap top or Kindle.

I DO see the possibility that this will confuse and aggravate buyers and sellers alike.  And the buyers we DO have don't READ the listings ALREADY!

I have not seen any "real ads" ie competitors ads on my listings OR on ones I have viewed.  But I have no doubt I will soon.

Sheesh
Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?   Do eBay Ads Hinder Mobile Shoppers?
This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Fri Apr 20 06:34:32 2012
The mobile ebay app completely reformats the listing and does not show any ads.

Letters Blog Recent Posts