Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Sat Sept 10 2011 12:26:42

Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes

I am writing you in regards to the recent changes of Bonanza.com. They have implemented a new "look" to the site along with quite a few other changes including redoing their browsing for buyers. Part of this new browsing search are options "For Him", "For Her" and "For Everyone". They have literally separated the sexes in these categories.

When doing this separation they have put search categories like food/cooking in the "For Her" shopping options and the handyman options in the "For Him" shopping options. When did we go back to the dark ages and the battle of the sexes or is the CEO of Bonanza just so ignorant that he thinks women do all the cooking and men do all the handywork? I'm appalled at this type of discrimination and yes, that's exactly what it is!

They have also changed quite a few other options on the site. Moving arrows that confuse a buyer on the home page, they have completely forgot to put the shopping button back in from the My Bonanza page so that if a person is on that page it's confusing to know how to even shop unless your mouse catches the right place on the page. The colors are horrible and hard on the eyes.

To top this off, they still haven't fixed past glitches on the site yet they implement more changes that are sure to set off even more glitches, and they do this right before the upcoming holiday season. I have a background in business management and these have to be some of the worst management decisions I have seen yet for a business that proclaims to want to grow to be the number one online shopping venue.
Thank you Ina for letting my voice my opinion on this.
Signed,
"Very disappointed"

Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
Comments (159) | Comments Off | Permalink

Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Shopatusm This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 10:01:54 2011

Why can't Bonanza fix the problems or glitches?

1. Checkout problems, it works sometimes and sometimes not.
2. Traits go missing after some people spent a lot of time adding them
3. Some people have lost all their listings and guess what? Once they're gone that is it.. Poof!
4. Search is horrible and the worst ever
5. Search for a seller and get an error with a pic of a childish stick figure unicorn
6. you pay for membership on a monthly basis they screw that up also. They will turn your membership off several days later after you paid. This was happening way too much!
7. Problems with pictures
8. The prices just change by themselves on your listings. It could go any way up or down.

If you complain about them... support tells you it's your fault!

The site is so full of glitches it is just unbelievable. Just check the forums and you will see someone complaining of one thing or another.

As far as gangs go, they attacked another member just the other night. Oh and it went on for god knows how long. Hours later they moved it to drama, then deleted it the next day. Where was support? The little group should have been suspended as well for how they ganged on that one member.

No one has to listen to any of us... just go to the forums it is all there for you to read!

Bonanza is so unstable they may just implode one day!
by: JSGeare
Tue Sep 20 10:47:07 2011
@shop: When ever any one of us has issues, we take little comfort from knowing that others do or do not have the same issues; we need to have OUR problems solved.

Looking at your list, I will agree that searching for members is flawed and unreliable. This means that returning buyers may not be able to locate a particular seller with whom they've done business before. I see that as a HUGE problem. I have urged management to put a high priority on resolving it, and urged others to do likewise.

As to your other complaints, I simply have not had them - ever. Certainly, if the problems you describe were experienced by all or most other users, Bonanza might not even exist simply because it was impossible to use.

I'm surprised to learn that support has told you, or anyone, that the problems you experience are your "fault." Perhaps that's your interpretation of what they mean, but if they actually said "your fault" then shame on them.

I'm on the forums fairly often, so don't know how I missed the gang attack, but it is very sad that anyone was attacked. Where we see this occurring, asking support to step in might be a good idea. Aside from that incident, the forums have been and now seem fairly calm.

I do hope all your issues are resolved to your satisfaction.
by: TipTopMgr

Tue Sep 20 12:05:31 2011
Although the member was asked about her membership in the thread the other night by other members, she also did not present her first post containing her link to this discussion here factually, which started the whole presentation of the link she placed off on the wrong foot to begin with. I don't understand why that has been overlooked here.

Is it okay to say ''this thread is about this link here'' knowing that the first person who started that thread started it on a totally different link and topic.

Or did the member feel by putting the link in that thread, since the thread had not gone poof that it would stay there longer. I have to ask that. She was not totally innocent there.

I cannot say what her reasoning was. That thread, however, was not right from the beginning. It should have been deleted from the very first time it was started, no matter who started the thread. I will say that.

Ongoing glitches are not okay...an isolated glitch here and there will happen though with any site. It happens to me on Ebay. It happened on another site where I was trying to set up, but the difference for me between that site when compared to Ebay or Bonanza is that it made it not worth it for me because there were not enough bigger positives to me in outweighing the glitches on that site.

I do imagine that the same thing can happen for people who try to sell on Bonanza....that there are some things on Bonanza that aren't considered enough positives to outweigh the glitches.

I don't have all the glitches mentioned above. The only glitch I have that was mentioned is the search. The glitches I have are something else but not enough to outweigh the positives for me (they are actually very small glitches)...except that search is a very big thing to me.

We do have a really good person that has come on board to Bonanza. I'm not even sure when he arrived to tell you the truth, so maybe he is not so new and I just do not know this. He's been working hard on the requirements made by GPS and spends some time in the forums here and there answering questions and being helpful that way. I am hoping that he can get search going the way that it needs to.

I'm taking a much needed vacation away from the computer, so I probably will not be able to post anymore.

Like I said before, I do wish good luck with sales, too, wherever you are selling, truly!!

by: sells a lot

Tue Sep 20 15:48:18 2011
I sell on a lot of sites (6 venues and 2 independent websites) Bonanza being just one of them. While all of them have their share of problems, glitches, and quirks Bonanza is by far the most problematic to deal with. The constant changes are hard to keep up with and almost always there seems to be major glitches that follow. I do not see the same things happening at my other venues. Changes at other venues are mostly seamless even with the learning curve that goes along with it. It leads me to believe that Bonanza is not testing thoroughly enough before going live with the changes. I find that short sighted attitude troubling.

As for sales, one of my other venues has only been around for about a year and I see 4 times the sales volume there than I do on Bonanza. I don’t feed items to Google, have to do traits or attributes, there is no recropping of photos needed, and it costs me nothing to sell. Why is it doing better? One word: promotion (please note, I did NOT say advertising). The sellers on the site do promote some on their own but I have never seen the site owners pushing it to the extent that it is on Bonanza. The owners realize that promotion is their responsibility and can create targeted campaigns that actually do some good instead of efforts being scattered all over the place and really doing nothing. Now, to be fair since this site is new they have their fair share of glitches too. But they are pretty straightforward about admitting what they are and for the most part fix them quite quickly. Bonanza could certainly learn from that. Informed sellers are more productive and happy. And happy sellers stick around.

by: finally my chance

Tue Sep 20 19:40:26 2011
Pied Piper is right and JS is wrong about the "after all they SUCKERED enough."

Below is exactly how:

Silver $10 monthly
For new sellers
Get a pro member badge on your profile
Track customers with Google Analytics
Eligibility to be a featured booth
Control how Amazon reviews appear for your items
Customize the item sorting in your booth
Add booth panels to show special promotions to buyers
Automatically synchronize inventory from eBay on a daily basis
View and print inventory sheets for easy inventory tracking
Compared to non-members...
2x more page views on average
3x more sales on average

Gold $24 monthly
Best value
All Bonanza Silver features, plus:
Organize custom category hierarchies
See your items prominently featured on the home page
Get your items promoted in search
Get detailed information about where your sales are coming from
Promote your items with markdowns
Collect email addresses from buyers
Compared to non-members...
5x more page views on average
5x more sales on average

Platinum $50 monthly
For high-volume sellers
All Bonanza Gold features, plus:
First $200 per month in seller fees are waived.
Get support from a dedicated sales consultant
The same benefits as Gold Membership,
which compared to non-members...
5x more sales on average
5x more page views on average

Plus...
A bunch more money saved on fees

Source: http://www.bonanza.com/memberships

This distinctly says XX times more sales than non-members.

How much more deceptive can they get?

I had a paid membership from the start because I believed Bonz's sales pitch.

I kept that membership for several months (enough that sales should have increased enough to notice) waiting for the pay off that was described by Bonz, only for it to never materialize.

They do sucker people and the proof is right on their site, in plain sight.

And where else on the net do sellers pay for Google Analytics? I have never seen that on any other venue. Bonz is charging people for a service in which Bonz gets for free and that is free to sellers everywhere else.... What a rip off!

by: JSGeare
Tue Sep 20 20:30:46 2011
Actually, what it says is, XX times more than non-members ''ON AVERAGE.''

Which means of course that some will do better, some will do worse, but ON THE AVERAGE the member will do better than the non member.

Perhaps Bonz, like the auto manufacturers, should have added, ''Your mileage will vary.''

Evidently you took the membership pitch to mean that merely becoming a member would give you more sales. That's all you need to do; sign up, and get sales. Nothing more required. You don't even need to list anything at all; just receive checks in the mail.

But, OK, let's say you took it at the most optimistic reading: be a member - get more sales; period, end of paragraph. But to presume that others saw it the same way is a bit of a stretch; you assume, evidently, that everyone else thinks as you do. That's possible, I suppose, but lacking in evidence.

The suggestion that Bonz ''suckered people'' infers to me that there was a willful, conscious action on their part to draw people in, using a false premise. They did it, and they KNEW that they did it. But the only way to prove that is to demonstrate convincingly that the claim of 3X, or 5X can't be supported by the actual data. If you don't have the data, then this is something you can't demonstrate.

Bottom line: if this is your experience with Bonz, be prepared for more of the same, elsewhere.

I do wish you well.
Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: pugs This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 21:01:00 2011
no, it isn't quieter for the reasons you say and again, you do not know all of what you are talking about.. not trying to be rude, but you often do not try to understand and do not accept that you do not know everything that goes on or that has happened... you are just too busy being an expert on whatever it is

and I see have an answer for everything and sure you will this

many are quiet for fear of retaliation.. when people are suspended for asking a nice, simple, polite question concerning the site .. and yes, I have proof.. many do.. people are just not posting.. so, it's quiet.. swift? yes, they are swift to take down anything that could possibly point our faults with the site

but, it is not quite as to the nastiness .. and that was proven by the post previously discussed here ... people can still get away with a lot and they get little punishment and it is not removed fast.. because they are the suck ups, the over the top cheerleaders and the ones that come to attack a few of us

hell, we even get in trouble for our offsite blogs.. it's all in who you are as to how swift

but the quiet on the forum in not for the reasons you speculate

I will stop at that before I become too unprofessional and tell you what I really would like to .. not that it would matter anyway.. you would just write me a book back of meaningless, inaccurate things that .. just like bonz.. smoke and mirrors.. if I type enough I'll it will look like something it is not
by: finally my chance

Tue Sep 20 21:14:30 2011
Spin it however you want... those statements are outright lies and they know that the presentation is deceptive. They are skirting the fringe of legalities - that's all.

Those kinds of statements are likely part of the reason that the site posts no stats or info to verify their "XX times" claims, because it is a lie.

Why does it seem that you feel the need to defend the site to every post here? Are they paying you or have you been dreaming of working for them and you see your spin here as a means to that job? Weird!
Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Pied Piper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 21:31:57 2011
@finally my chance
gsgeare likes to BLOW SMOKE, as long as it dosen't, blow in his face.

He'll debate with everyone, as to whether, the cup is ''half full or half empty''.

@js .... as a member of this planet Earth, YOU can't be, half right and half wrong.

You continue to VACILLATE with your Egregiousness.
Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Pied Piper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 21:43:02 2011
@finally my chance
You said in part..... ''Are they paying you or have you been dreaming of working for them and you see your spin here as a means to that job? Weird''!

You may have NAILED IT.
His Spin, is to always, speak in THE THIRD PERSON.
Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Pied Piper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 21:53:47 2011
@pugs
jsgeare, is just being jsgeare. YES, you and we, all know, what  retort to expect from him.

He has extreme difficulty, fitting in, within Society.
Such a Pity !!

by: Pied Piper

Tue Sep 20 22:09:15 2011

CHECK THIS OUT.
If this link fails, its because the THIRD REICH poofed it.

AW, what the heck !
Here's a copy & Paste.

Posted by Sheenys-Shack, Muskogee, OK, Vintage Collectibles & More. 980 total posts
Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Pied Piper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 22:10:54 2011
OOPS ... the post of mine above ... did not post in its entirety
Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: pugs This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 22:11:13 2011
js would be a great candidate for a bonz employee

smoke and mirrors.. throw enough stuff out there and it will distract from the truth and the real issues

many of us have had real experiences with site issues .. serious site issues, and that effects business...they do not get fixed.. but the seller gets blamed when it is a site issue.. people are silenced from speaking out about issues

these things are true, if others choose to accept it, believe it or not so be it.. but no amount of smoke, mirrors or "expert" opinion changes the facts or the truth
by: Pied Piper

Tue Sep 20 22:15:22 2011
CHECK THIS OUT.
If this link fails, its because the THIRD REICH poofed it.

AW, what the heck !
Here's a copy & Paste.

Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Pied Piper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 22:24:34 2011
OOPS OOPS, AGAIN ... the post of mine above ... did not post in its entirety.

This software BUG, brought to you, through the courtsey ofBlah-nanza.

by: finally my chance

Tue Sep 20 22:30:44 2011
Here it is:

Editing Invoice Problems (The Post That Went POOF!)

That post started six months ago with three posts, then there were 22 posts about 1 month ago. Then there was a post 20 hours ago, 1 at 7 hours ago, 2 at 6 hours ago; then BonanzaMark’s reply at 36 minutes ago. His remarks follow:

“http://www.bonanza.com/invoices/review/(transaction ID goes here)

The above link (make sure to put your unique transaction ID at the end) will take you to the review/edit/approve invoice page for your transaction (in the case where the “review invoice” link is not there)"

This was followed by a reply from one of the previous posters, and all of a sudden it was POOFED.

I did not see anything that should have caused this post to disappear. And if you know me, you know what I’m talking about.

All I can see is this is more ammunition for that other long-winded argument over at auctionbytes, brought on by Bonanza themselves. And guess which side it will favor over there.

Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes   Seller Disappointed by Bonanza Changes
by: Pied Piper This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 21 09:44:37 2011
HEIL Blah-nanza .....

Certainly one, can almost hear, the chanting of the ''Brown Shirts''.

Either you speak their (MY) way, or ''its the highway''.

This topic (175152)has been removed. Its title was ''Editing Invoice Problems ... The Post that Went Poof''.

Blah-nanza, is getting weaker and weaker, with each passing day.
Continue sending these Dictators, your hard earned money, for memberships .... Thus, this makes YOU no better than THEM.

by: JSGeare
Wed Sep 21 10:28:15 2011
@Pugs: You appear to support my contention that speaking one's mind does not always mean we speak the truth, even when we sincerely believe we do. I personally think you are honest. But this doesn't mean I believe what you say is true.

Example: You have said, "it isn't quieter for the reasons you say . . ." and, ". . . the quiet on the forum in not for the reasons you speculate." Yet I offered no reasons, nor any speculation (if I did, please disabuse me). You, on the other hand, HAVE offered a reason: "many are quiet for fear of retaliation." That makes complete sense to me. Like drag racing on a public street, we worry that if the cops don't catch us, someone might report us. Therefore we don't speed (too much, anyway).

You've also written, "I see you have an answer for everything" and ". . . you often do not try to understand and do not accept that you do not know everything that goes on or that has happened. . ."

Yet, I have actually written:

"I'm on the forums fairly often, so don't know how I missed the gang attack. . ."

"I really have no clue how any of this portrays a management directive . . ."

"I can't know how many sellers do well, and how many do not. Nor can I know that alternatives to Bonanza do better or worse."

"In the absence of verifiable data, we can't know if the membership fee income is a Golden Goose, or just a turkey."

". . . some people believe that Bonz has failed or is failing, or that items listed, numbers of members and/or sales are falling. I personally don't know, and can't know, what the metrics are."

"What, then, is the 'truth?' I honestly don't know; but what I do know is that I should be wary of any claims which are lacking strong evidence to support them."

The above are all clear statements of my ignorance; that I "don't know." This offers little support for your argument that I think I know everything.

But all of this is a "war of words." I believe that you are really expressing your reaction to me, and doing so very directly and honestly at the level of your feelings and instincts, rather than legalistic "facts." I COME ACROSS to you and to others in the ways you describe. Just two words might get to the point more exactly; I am a "pompous ass." I'll drink to that, and pay for the next round. Should be a big crowd, owing to the warm comments I see from others.
by: JSGeare
Wed Sep 21 12:03:41 2011
@Finally, Pied, etc.:

My ''spin'' on the claimed sales metrics is the same spin I apply to the conventional wisdom that college graduates have higher incomes, on average, then folks who don't graduate from college. I suppose that's true. But it does not mean that merely graduating from college will result in a higher income. My guess is that those who hold memberships include many who have done well enough to pay for it. I clearly understand you believe that whole thing is in the nature of a fraud. And in the end, you might be exactly right. Meanwhile, my opinion is not unreasonable; certainly no more so then to say the whole thing is a lie.

Once again, I am not employed by or compensated by Bonz in any way. I do not report to them what is said here or elsewhere outside of Bonz. When I see a clear case of fraud or spam on the forums, I DO report it. I don't think I have ever tagged a forum topic. I have on a few occasions suggested reclassification, including taking some topics OUT of Drama. I am not, by nature, a ''tattle-tale,'' nor given to form ''alliances'' or ganging up on people here, or anywhere. I am not a spy for Bonz or for anyone. I have never received an offer, and have never made an offer to gather or pass along information about other people to Bonanza management or anyone else. And I have never done so voluntarily.

There is a possible very bad outcome to any rumors about the implied clandestine actvity. If it gets too much traction among a wider sphere of people, it could, in my opinion as a layman, become injurious, and actionable, IF IT IS NOT TRUE. As it now stands, I regard the remarks about my role and actvity vis-a-vis Bonanza as being just plain silly. They seem unlikely to have any material impact on me. But, if more widely accepted as true, the impact on my presumed conspirator could be much greater, and quite costly. The written word, especially on the Internet, is very difficult to retract or withdraw. I offer this opinion only for myself; everything I have said should be understood by any reader or represented to others as being anything more than my opinion as a layman.

The other remarks about me; blowing smoke, writing style, misfit in society, etc. Comes with the territory; no problem.

But there is one accusation I have enjoyed very much: ''VACILLATE with your Egregiousness.'' Perfect! I'm adding that one to my list of favorite accusations.

Comments Off