728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Mon May 30 2011 22:43:58

Google Limits Etsy's Merchant Product Feeds

Thank you for your very informative article on May 8th, "What You Need to Know about Google Product-Feed Changes." In the section on how Etsy is responding to those changes, you mentioned that it is a Google Marketplace partner and has secured a site-wide exemption from UPIs.

I opened an Etsy shop last week, assuming that the feeds of all Etsy sellers would be sent to Google Marketplace, but this is not the case. Only sellers whose shops are already syndicated are included in automatic uploads to Google Shopping. New sellers must await syndication and in the meantime, their feeds are not sent to Google Marketplace.

According to Etsy, the waiting list for syndication is one year. Here is how their tech support explained it to me:

"You have to be registered for Google Syndication however, we are not currently offering that. The Google Product Search program is still in beta. Google has limitations regarding the amount of shops that can be included in the program. Unfortunately, while the program is in the development stages, not all sellers can be accommodated. Sellers are syndicated automatically and at random. Eventually this service will be available to everyone, but please consider this feature "under construction." We hope to improve and expand this service very soon. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience!"

Any reporting you could do in the future on Etsy's syndication process would be appreciated.
Best wishes,
Pam

Note from the editor: I spoke to Etsy spokesperson Adam Brown, who confirmed that Etsy is unable to send all feeds to Google. "That is correct, and although we wish it were not the case, that is the way things stand at the moment. I don't have anything more to add beyond what it says on the help page."
Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: Google Limits Etsy's Merchant Product Feeds

Google Limits Etsy's Merchant Product Feeds   Google Limits Etsy's Merchant Product Feeds
by: Watching the Wheels

Tue May 31 05:07:56 2011
Hi Pam.

If it's any conselation, the uploads from Etsy are VERY ineffectual. The site NEVER saw the logic behind creating a means for the sellers to be able to add the official Google Attributes. I did get in, at the onset and have found the uploads, Etsy style, to be buggy and glitch laden from the get go. I gave up trying to get Etsy to respond. The entirety of the constant flow of problems was creating little more than downtime and aggravation for me.

Etsy focuses on window dressing and schmooze. Past that, they don't seem capable of producing quality tech to truly help get the online customer base connected to sellers.

You might want to consider looking into eithr eCrater or Bonanza. Both of these sites have batch editing functions to allow sellers to customise their items for the uploads via the ability to tailor the official Google attributes, per item.

In order to do well within Etsy, it helps if you can achieve "cupcake" status. <-- This will at least get you some of the very coveted prime time space on the front page and an occasional spot within Etsy finds.

Decent tech functionality, ... I don't see it happening. EVER.
by: El at Tantalizing Stitches This user has validated their user name.
Tue May 31 07:54:50 2011
I have to agree with "Watching the Wheels" on the most part. Etsy did release a useful change in the listing process but the fact that they didn't even try to get out the google attributes by the google deadline just shows how backwards they are. Apparently their is a google board member on the etsy board and they still couldn't get etsy to do this.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue May 31 08:27:09 2011
cupcake status?
by: Good Grief

Tue May 31 08:27:29 2011
Could someone please explain what "cupcake" status is?

TIA
by: Been on Etsy Over a Year

Tue May 31 08:52:32 2011
This issue has always been a major contention with Etsy sellers. I've been there over a year, requested the Google Shopping feed and was, again, denied. The reason given was that Google only allows "a few at a time" and it is a "random" choice of sellers that get added. "Cupcake status"? I would LOVE to know what that means.

No worries though because I've found a way to get on GS just fine. Joined Addoway and got on GS from Day ONE. Not really sure how Etsy is a preferred site with Google if Google is limiting Etsy's feeds and is simultaneously allowing other "less-favored" sites to upload all sellers to GS.?

Addoway has a bulk importer from Etsy also so it was painless to import.

Etsy is no longer holding the Google Synch over my head. If buyers are looking on GS they will be finding my Addoway listing instead.
by: WalkingAntique

Tue May 31 11:29:15 2011
The use of Google attributes has been pretty confusing to me, but I'm not sure why they'd be important on Etsy or any other site where Google has granted sellers' feeds a blanket UPI exemption.  Do attributes help in Marketplace search, even for product feeds that are exempt from listing UPIs?

What confuses me most about Etsy is that some sellers seem to have hundreds, even thousands of buyers views for their items.  Is the traffic there that good?

I've been on Bonanzle for a few years now.  It's a great site, very friendly, but traffic is slow.  I'm hoping that it picks up, now that I have my Google feed working properly and my UPI exemption.

Having said that, I'd love to know whether Marketplace search is really driving 50% of total buyer traffic, as some sellers think.
by: Independent
Tue May 31 12:25:43 2011
I posted two product feeds to Google's merchant center and never got any API impressions, nor did anyone actually explain why that was the case. I tried to make the feeds as compliant as possible. But after six months of posting updated feeds and no responses, I pulled out completely and listed with Bonanza instead. But it looks like any attempt to get seen at all on Google is like swimming up a rapids, and I for one don't care if Google tries to function as anything other than a site search engine, because selling products through Google is impossible. Anyone who wants to buy products, visit my site instead. At least that is still listed without any impediment.
by: Mitzi
Tue May 31 12:35:32 2011
I think what the poster meant by "cupcake status" is that some shops get a lot of attention from Etsy itself - they appear on the front page and in Etsy Finds emails and blog posts more often than than most shops. They are Etsy favorites, in other words. Sellers who have nothing but praise for Etsy and their decisions are sometimes referred to as cupcakes also.

I agree about tech functionality being a very low priority with Etsy, it's a sad state of affairs actually. Their new listing page is an improvement, and I'm hoping it is a stepping stone to other improvements coming down the line...
by: Watching the Wheels

Wed Jun 1 05:48:09 2011
Cupcakes are the site pets. These sellers receiv an inordinant amount of exposure via inclusion within Etsy Finds, Front page time and as choices within the skewed Taste Test and within suggested shops.

The new listing process might be quicker, but it will penalise supply and vintage sellers, due to the bizarro and limited choices presented by Etsy. Under the old system, I could at least write in tags that would be compatible with Google searches by utilising industry standard terminolgy, as opposed to the Etsycentric choices used to define a given items catagory.

Etsy continues to wander around, oblivious to reality. The only times that they is an occasional reversal of, yet another beyond comprehension maneuver, is when there is enough pressure by powers greatr than them.

Personally, I don't believe that they received a blanket approval from Google regarding the products. What's in it for Google?

eCrater is also a "First Round Partner". Sellers had to file for the Google exemptions. Etsy lies.
by: A.aster
Wed Jun 1 08:04:18 2011
Google product feeds are getting stricter and thats the way to go. If they do not impose strict quality measures, they may not be able to say no to those billions of products submitted daily, most without basic information.
Sellers have to match its requirements.
I sell on http://instantfinder.com/ where its being done automatically. Though electronic products and books must have those ISBN or UPI numbers.
by: WalkingAntique

Wed Jun 1 12:58:39 2011
@Watching The Wheels -- re '' I could at least write in tags that would be compatible with Google searches by utilising industry standard terminolgy..''

I thought you could enter your own tags on Etsy... couldn't they be matched to industry standard terminology?  Also, are you equating tags with Google Attributes?
by: Watching the Wheels

Wed Jun 1 15:58:04 2011
@Walking Antiques:

Etsy tags and the official Google Attributes are differnt things. Within Etsy and under THE OLD listing procedures, the first 3 tags were used to establish the Google Attribute "product_type". I have no idea how or what is being used to do this under the new listing process.

Supply and vintage sellers need to qualify these catagories PRIOR to being able to progress the new listing procedures. Etsy's choices for us DO NOT JIVE with traditional key words within these product line choices. I also believe that even the lone attribute "product_type wound up fouled when the new listing procedure was implemented. Etsy doesn't do "FOLLOW THROUGH", well.

I sell vintage and am also a collector. People are going to enter search terms, prtty much in the manner used by Ebay when doing their catagory breakdowns. Someone looking for old china patterns are going to START with "pottery and glass", then work their way to pottery, then china, then company name, pattern, etc.

Etsy offers "serving", as a top level start point.

Quite a few areas of collecting have a start point of collectible, with various areas such as linens, sports memorabilia, old stinking soda bottles have established breakdowns that are now industry standard and essentially set be what Ebay did.

IF you list on either Bonanza or eCrater, these taxonomies are essentially maintained. Etsy doesn't see the need, even though the vintage goods have a much stronger potential than the handmade to help bring shoppers to the site. Why do you think this catagory was included within the original game plan? Vintage within Etsy, serves as a traffic driver, first and foremost. There are an ever growing means of diverting a given customer and even within any given shop, a customer has a 1 shot opportunity to search the shop. Once the search button has been put to use the overall search diverts right back to the defaulted handmade search.

Circles divert traffic, the taste test was put together with A SELECT GROUP OF SHOPS AND IS SKEWED.

Lastly, based upon the writing within the Etsy walls, my guess is that the site will begin a shift towards a Fair Trade propaganda platform, which is a euphamistic way of exploiting the third world, and creating yet another hoop of competition for any seller, not living in a hut.

by: JewelryOnTheRocks This user has validated their user name.
Thu Jun 2 14:58:01 2011
Hi Ina, to answer your question about "cupcakes" a historical reference may be helpful. In January of 2007 Etsy lost their payment processor and did not resume billing until August. The new payment processor double billed at least half of the members, causing checking accounts and credit card accounts to go into the red worldwide. House notes, car notes, insurance payments, grocery purchases, etc, were bouncing like the proverbial red rubber ball. In typical Etsy fashion the admin claimed for at least a week that it didn't happen, and threw a "virtual cupcake party" as a distraction.

The nickname came about because there were people in the forums whose stance was, or seemed to be, that Etsy had every right to ignore the problem.
This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Thu Jun 2 18:04:45 2011
My Artfire items showed up on Google almost from day 1. Those folks seem to be doing something right and actually listen to the sellers. Nothing I listed on Etsy have ever shown up on Google (or on the home page). Makes it easy for me to decide which is a better use of my limited time.
by: craftbite

Sun Jun 12 08:01:30 2011
Enjoyed the story behind the Etsy-Google relationship (not good)and history of ''cupcakes'' but the syndication issues at Etsy have many more layers of intrigue based on 7 years of heavy handed editorial manipulation of favored products and sellers on the site.  Even if Etsy broke the bonds with their antiquated site architecture, they have 7 years of historical editorial content that provides free advertising and promotion to less than 1% of all listed (open and never sell) stores. Every new tweek and forced social networking ''tool'' added to the site since Jan. 2011 has only reinforced this editorial bent.
The chasm between Etsy the company and Etsy the sellers has never been wider than displayed in the newly revamped Forums where censorship (and ''punishment'' of sellers) has never been more evident.
What Etsy does not know is all of their own making.
Every time you pay a listing fee, you vote in favor of Etsy.  Please remember that when you can't sell anything that's actually handmade  above cost on Etsy.
by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 16 16:18:01 2012
For the last 8 months or so, I've been getting an almost-daily email from Google saying that my product feed couldn't be uploaded. Didn't have a CLUE what they were talking about since I'd not asked them to upload anything.

I've sold on Etsy for 6 years and I've been syndicated since when they first started doing that. And my shop STILL claims to be syndicated. But I'm still getting these messages. This morning I finally had time to poke around on Google and figured out that it's the Etsy feed which Google isn't uploading. But I don't have a clue why? Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)