Mon June 21 2010 08:54:13

Number of eBay Buyers Leaving Feedback Is Falling

To the Editor:
Like so many others have noted on your website, my sales are also down. Way down. And in spite of the obvious frustration of having MUCH slower than normal sales, I've been able to get a small degree of comfort in the knowledge that I'm not alone, and that it's not "just me."

Something else that I've recently noticed is that the percentage of customers who leave feedback is falling. Is this happening to "just me" or have any of your readers also experienced the same thing?

Previously, about 85% of my customers would leave feedback. Now, the number of customers who take the time to follow-through has dropped to about 45%.

This really concerns me because sellers need as may positives as possible to help compensate for any negatives that might come along. The more positives I have under my belt, the less disruptive an isolated negative might be.

My products haven't changed. My service hasn't changed. My prices haven't changed. My customers get their feedback within hours of a completed transaction. Delivery confirmation shows that everyone's receiving their items within a few days. I've had no complaints and everyone seems happy. --- So what's changed?

Why the sudden drop in the percentage of feedback follow-through? I don't get it.

Best regards,
A Loyal Reader

Number of eBay Buyers Leaving Feedback Is Falling   Number of eBay Buyers Leaving Feedback Is Falling

This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Thu Jun 24 06:47:09 2010

I always give buyer fb after they pay - done it this way for 10+ years.

Total 10 year stats are 76% return FB.

Last 6 months indicate a 78% return FB.

Last month was a 78% returned FB.

So no, I haven't noticed any decline at all in buyer FB.

Personally, I'd like to see them return FB to what it used to be - as the last writer said, just opinions to be weighed by potential buyers.  It should have ZERO bearing on fees, best match, or selling status.

For those things, it should be based on objective criteria only, such as sell-thru rates and actual filed buyer complaints.  You know, real sales performance and real customer service.

This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Thu Jun 24 13:50:23 2010

I was curious about this one...so I started a poll on PSU:

by: birdie

Thu Jun 24 23:35:54 2010

So I hear Paypal holds funds until positive feedback is left for the seller.  What do they do now that so many do not leave feedback?

by: Larry

Mon Jun 28 22:27:30 2010

I have been selling on ebay for app. 8 years and really could care less about the feedback system with all the new changes. I personally will not leave feedback anymore. I have over 12,000 feedbacks from selling and buying, but do not agree with any of the new changes that starting taking affect after 2008 and have reduced my selling activity. The feedback system is so unfair and bia. We are located at the very bottom of texas, so when we ship an item it has to travel a lot farther than a centrally located package, costing us more and costing the buyer more. We post this in all our listings, but it does no good...buyers only see what they want to see.

This issue has been addressed with ebay for over 5 years and look where we are at......-------.

Try calling ebay for support-See how long it will take--then see what help you get after waiting for an extended period of time....I have wasted numerous hours to get nothing resolved with EBAY

I started selling on ebay part time in 2002 and and then went full time after spending app. $125.000 on new commercial property and inventory and did very well until they implemented the new feedback system and TOP RATED SELLER Deal.....then the tables turned..I was hooked and had to continue---I had no alternative. I finally got the courage to pull myself away from ebay and started my own website at www.txdashcovers.com .I feel so much more relaxed, do not have to take medications for high blood pressure and really have a great following of clintele...My customers are my true friends....They truely appreciate the high end personal customer service I provide and we in return provide them with a quality product

Ebay -- I no Longer need you and will be completely closing my store very soon and will once again enjoy life

Larry Sbrusch
                 www.txdashcovers.com

by: eric

Thu Jul 1 04:48:45 2010

I  buy  philatelic  stuff.....  I  do not  leave feedback as serves no purpose at all...

i had 100% feedback and few thousand
deals..
Not  shown up were 3 unpaid strikes which meant i was closed up and  had to start again on new ID

Ebay refused to understand why I was  refusing to pay for misdescribed lots  eg Swiss Service stamps valid only in  UN.Geneva which were described as Swiss postage...  They wanted me to pay or other guy to excuse me.. ie NO  THIRD WAY
Feedback complete waste of time and energy.

by: ebay nonsense

Mon Jul 12 20:38:58 2010

Leaving FB has become tedious and feels like an interogation of some sort.
Comment box, numerous DSR's (that are totally misleading) and NOW they've added another page where they want buyers to answer more questions.

WTH! If I wanted to participate in survey sites I'd be doing just that AND getting paid for it.

Ebay has lost it's collective mind when it comes to being buyer friendly.

JD needs to stop hiring his Bain and Co buddies (padding their wallets) to do this stupid FB PLUS intrusive survey and the stupid net promoter score crap.
It's destroying what used to be a good site AND it's a real PITA for people who just want to buy and sell.

by: T alex

Sat Jul 24 07:28:17 2010

Yes, and NOW ebay is going to use feedback+ cases that are opened to count against you so there are even more reasons not to discount you.
The new ebay case system is ridiculous-buyers don't contact us anymore, they just open a case!

-Had a case opened up by buyer complaining that Shipping a heavy printer (UPS) took 8 days. Oh, and I am in California and She is in PA!!!   Ridiculous. When are people going to wake up and go elsewhere

by: pierrelebel

Sun Aug 8 18:57:01 2010

A different experience here.  Selling on eBay for twelve years (rating 21,900+) and the ratio of feeback received/given has been consistent in the 80% to 82% range, year after year.  There is no noticiable difference this year.  My policy is simple and has not changed in twelve years: as a seller I leave positive feedback for buyers immediately upon receipt of payment.
It works for me! :-)

by: Laurel

Tue Mar 8 11:58:19 2011

I have been with ebay for years and I am leaving.  Oh I will buy occasionally now and then, but the $$ that I used to buy will be no more.  I will find other ways.  This is because when you have a problem nobody knows what is going on...it used to be that you could get a person, who's first language was english and it would be taken care of, now I am talking to people who don't understand, who read from a card, and keep repeating the same thing.  I...Am...Gone...

by: natalie

Sun Jan 1 19:10:10 2012

i JUST started selling on ebay i sold four items that are being shipped and i have no feedback i want them to leave me feedback so more buyers buy from me sence i ordered alot of whole sale i want people to know im legit. i dont know what eles to do to get them to leave a simple comment . how hard is it!!!!!

by: Marks This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 20 06:13:45 2013

thats the reason because some people leaving inappropriate feedbacks.

1 2 3