Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed June 14 2017 21:45:41

EcommerceBytes Revs Up with New Publishing Platform

By: David and Ina Steiner

We've rolled out some changes today as we put a new "engine" into what we like to think of a classic. It's the same EcommerceBytes, with a slightly different look on the homepage and more horsepower.

We have moved the Newsflash and Update publishing platform to WordPress. We feel that this update will help us in a few ways:
  • To make our site load faster
  • To make the site layout responsive and mobile-friendly
  • And to fulfill a frequent request from our users: allow comments on the articles
At this point, we are not making any changes to the blogs. The layout of the blogs will change slightly to more closely match the main site, but that will happen a little down the road.

You can continue to comment on the EcommerceBytes Blog, AuctionBytes Blog, and Letters to the Editor blog using your existing credentials. The change to a new platform for our articles means you can create new WordPress credentials for our main site and leave comments for Newsflash and Update stories. If we find that readers aren't shy about commenting on the articles with new log-ins, we'll consider moving the blogs to the new platform as well, so they too are easier to read.

Like our readers, we don't like change for the sake of change, but making our website easier to read on mobile appliances is long overdue. Our legacy software has been in place since 1999 (yes, we've been at this for a while).

With this change, we can focus less on the technology of running a site, and more on the content we provide. You can continue to count on us to bring you news and information about selling online - our goal is simply to make it easier for you to read the content and weigh in with your thoughts. (You may have noticed our email newsletters are now easier to read on mobile devices too!)

We hope you'll be patient and let us know if you run into any bumps in the road. We'll be monitoring this blog for feedback and suggestions.

David & Ina

Perminate Link for EcommerceBytes Revs Up with New Publishing Platform   EcommerceBytes Revs Up with New Publishing Platform

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jun 14 23:07:20 2017

What refreshing, novel concepts!

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 14 23:32:56 2017

I am going to miss the old slide show. It made it easy to browse through the posts and decide what I want to read further. This scroll down the page for every post seems clunky.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Jun 15 00:14:34 2017

I agree with aim. The font size is larger with huge images so it makes it harder to get to the items I have interest in. It needs to be toned down a little.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jun 15 03:21:49 2017

I look forward to the new experience.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Thu Jun 15 06:44:22 2017

Appreciate the feedback so far everyone. @Bill & @Aim, how do you typically view the site - on desktop or mobile?

I had a hard time giving up that home page slider, myself. A lot of design and programming that went into it, and we were one of the early adopters of a home page slider, especially a tabbed slider. That being said, people either loved it or hated it.

There are other ways to get to the news you want to read, for example, if you are an Etsy seller, and want to focus on those articles, you simply click on the "Etsy" tag at the bottom of the articles, or home page abstracts, and the page will be populated with nothing but Etsy stories.

We haven't discounted making a formal home page (with a slider of some kind) but want to live with the scroll of latest stories right now.

The big images...I don't entirely disagree. Larger images are definitely better for search engines. Most news sites use a similar format - Title, large image, social media buttons, content - so we're trying to get a sense of what the layout does for SEO. We'll reassess after a bit.

I want to stress that the feedback posted here - good or bad - is important to us as we tweak the site to make it as user-friendly as possible.

D

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 15 06:53:35 2017

Congratulations!

And I for one appreciate what David and Ina do on a daily basis. THANK YOU!  I honestly don't know where I would get my news without the two of you and your team. You synthesize information that would take me countless hours of research (every day) to pull together. I hear it here days or weeks before I hear it on some of the ecommerce sites I sell on.

Keep up the GREAT work!

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 08:19:58 2017

David and Ina- you are the best!  Thank you for being so considerate towards your readers.

I don't know what we would do without your hard work and perseverance on our behalf.

Most of all, thanks for your commitment to free speech.  It is getting harder and harder these days to find an online venue that allows honest and open discussion about Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, et al, especially the down and dirty stuff that reveals the back room antics at these sites.

Your publications are invaluable to everyone who buys and sells online and I wish you the best in everything you do.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 15 09:03:47 2017

Desktop here 100% of the time!

Mobile screen is too small, even on my old Samsung Mega 6.3

This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage

Thu Jun 15 09:52:28 2017

Checked it out. Very nice!

Appreciate your hard work, David and Ina!!

We have been buying online since 1999, the year of your inception... Selling since only 2005 : )

Keep up the great work!!

by: buffalochick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 11:11:32 2017

I too liked the awesome convenient scrolling/tab setup. Extremely easy to find what you want to read without having to scroll, click, back... reminds me a another certain site. More clicks, more work.  I love your site, just don't love the changes.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 11:31:06 2017

I read almost always on a laptop, unless I click something from Facebook and then will open on my cell browser.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Thu Jun 15 12:37:20 2017

Like It!

Desktop Only for me, Hate anything that moves or jumps out.

Hate slow news days, have NEVER been able to find ANY other Enews site worth reading.

▲ Keep it UP! ▲

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 20:42:46 2017

I work from PC daily. Either one or the other. Not both. Most setups for total responsive between PC and smart phones end up with a lot of white space and scrolling for the PC user. Your new set up is not different.

I am only speaking of the tech side and visuals I see. I am not downgrading or insulting your news value which is now, and has been for years TOPNOTCH.....

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 20:46:55 2017

PS: I have four fairly active web sites on which I struggle with the same issues as you have here. I have not solved them to my satisfaction yet, so I do look upon your efforts with a bit of eagerness to see if you solve the conflict..... lol   Hope you do.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 21:08:42 2017

EBay- hire these people!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jun 16 00:00:22 2017

David,

I just use my desktop to read your news and insight. Been a user here since the beginning but my old email is now on my tablet. I will check out the new page on my tablet when I get a chance and let you know.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jun 16 00:04:37 2017

David,

I am viewing on my desktop and the font is really big. I enjoy the articles and the insight and have been doing that since the beginning. My email for this account is now on my tablet so I will take a look at it from there when I get a chance and let you know.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Fri Jun 16 09:03:47 2017

Thanks for the continuing feedback. I agree about the white space - since site responsiveness is rewarded in search, I've noticed that many site layouts have a similar look, which includes the larger areas of blank space, more required scrolling, etc.

When we started the site, the challenge was to put as much of the important content "above the fold" so that no, or little scrolling was required. Different time - but I will see if the layout can be tightened up a bit to decrease the blank areas.

Bill, the difference between the blogs and the main site is that the blogs used fixed size fonts, which makes them harder to read on mobile appliances. Have you tried using ctrl + and - to adjust the font size in your browser? It's not a perfect solution, as that will make the fonts in the blog even smaller.

D

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Jun 16 12:12:53 2017

"WordPress"
"faster"
Must be talking about a different WordPress.  Site never had speed issues for me before.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Fri Jun 16 15:08:42 2017

Quick update: The large images at the top of articles are no more. They are now smaller and right-justified within the content of the story. That accomplishes a couple of things - making the content look more in line with with the old format, bringing the body of the story up higher (so less scrolling) and still retaining it's responsive design.

D