Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Feb 16 2013 22:12:31

Mobile Apps Help You Sell on the Go

Online sellers seem to work 24/7 and are increasingly turning to mobile phones and tablets to help them get things done and stay in touch with customers even on the go. In Sunday's EcommerceBytes Update newsletter, Greg Holden rounded up some mobile apps that can help simplify buying and selling on the go.

The list is just a starting point, and we hope you'll share your favorite apps that help you through the day.

The native apps and features alone make smartphones indispensable - the phone function, of course, and its contacts database which serves as a rolodex-in-your-pocket; the always-on web browser; the calendar; the camera (for stills and video); and the maps and navigation features. Apps are the icing on the cake.

While there are many shopping apps, companies are increasingly building apps to help sellers manage their store and listings from mobile devices. Greg mentioned a couple, including Shopify (two screenshots are pictured below), and BigCommerce told me this week that one is in the works for its service. Julia recently reviewed PoshMark, which lets fashionistas clean out their closets with a few clicks of their smartphones.

There are also many barcode scanners, coupon sites, receipt organizers and more. Search online for apps you may want or need, or head to the Apple App store for iOS devices or the Google Play store for Android devices and browse by category.

One that's on my list to download is the AntiqueWeek Travel Guide to Shops and Malls, which says it is "the most comprehensive travel guide for antiques enthusiasts,"  and gives you the ability to locate shops near you or across the country.

The USPS has some useful-looking apps - look up a ZIP code, schedule a next-day pickup, order supplies, calculate shipping prices, and more - though I haven't tried them yet.

Do you use a smartphone or tablet to help you run any part of your business? Share your favorites and tell us if you've grown to depend on these handy devices.

Perminate Link for Mobile Apps Help You Sell on the Go   Mobile Apps Help You Sell on the Go

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 16 22:32:13 2013

I, for 1, do not know a single seller that uses a "mobile app" to sell.
Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Feb 17 00:04:19 2013

Looking at my website's traffic report, I've had a few sales (less than 1%) that were completed on a smartphone.

I tested out my site using my smartphone, and it can be done... but it's not easy.

At this point, I'm not in the market for developing a site that is app-driven... however, my husband tells me that he can easily modify my site so that it's slightly reformatted whenever a smartphone is detected.

He explains that my site's 3-column format could be converted to a 2 column format when a smartphone is detected... this would make the text easier to read, the navigation menus easier to use, etc.

Basically, my site's 3rd column is a ''suggestive selling'' area... displaying other items in the category, or additional items that compliment the item currently being viewed. So, my husband thinks that he can simply tack that information at the bottom of the listing in a separate panel.

It's a small change, minimal effort, and for those infrequent smartphone shoppers, the site would be more conducive to shopping.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 17 07:57:08 2013

I have the USPS app. Got it with the hope it would be quicker & easier to order Priority Mail supplies with it, but they only offer flat rate and regional rate boxes.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Feb 17 11:24:50 2013

I use the USPS app - I NEVER use pick-up, so I use the app to coordinate dropping off shipments near my errands if I am out an about in a different area than usual.

eBay's app:

(buying)
Purchases are easy -  I like how they do the photos, IMO the format is pretty straightforward on how to find description, specifics, etc...  no problems with the buying end. As a seller I am familiar with the terminology - I don't know if a non-seller buyer would know the difference between '' item specifics'' and ''description''.

IMO,  the sellers who try to sell with their phones & devices, but limit the descriptions (or have nothing at all) are doing themselves a disservice. Take the time to describe the item or this buyer will pass on by.

(selling)
Easy to re-list, BUT if your item was on sale with markdown manager when it ended, that is what price it re-lists at. A glitch that needs to be worked on if it is still occurring. Relisting on my iPad is easiest. BUT, I have noticed when THAT iPad relisted item ends and I re-list it on my laptop, the listing description is in html format. Not being a techno-person, I don't know why it does that.

You can use the app to look up selling prices or research a brand when out. One thing to keep in mind if you are checking prices is that it pulls up only a partial search compared to what your result is if you search on your laptop.  The sold item prices may all show high selling prices on your phone, then when you get home the same search on your computer will pull up much larger result with a lot of lower prices mixed in with the high.

I realize the capacity & ability of phones & tablets pose some of these search result limitations.

Other Apps are Google, Craigslist, RedLaser,  ShopSavvy, and a sniper App.  I check email when I'm out.

Then there is the device's camera. Have an obscure item you are looking for or expect language barriers? Take a photo of item & you'll have it for comparison or to show the clerk.  I do this with Asian food brands, I can't always read the labels but I take a photo so I have it with me at the market.

See something that interests you while out - take a photo of it & research it further to make sure you really want it.

Yup, looks like I'm hooked.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Feb 17 11:31:44 2013

I'm not done....

I might add, the Google Map app so I don't get lost when obtaining merchandise to sell, the Zen app to lower my blood pressure when eBay rolls out new changes,  and the Prayer App to get through the Glitch of the Day.

Done.  I think....

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 17 14:26:39 2013

Aside from ebay which auction sites have mobile apps ?

by: Ronlewis99 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 18 00:36:34 2013

why doesn't Amazon have an app that allows sellers to list products?  Are they planning on offering that capability any time soon?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Feb 18 02:54:22 2013

Why would anyone other than the most casual seller, without a desktop computer, want to try to list anything on eBay via a mobile phone ... LOL

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: JordanMalik.com This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 18 08:29:57 2013

The recent articles on mobile apps missed BotlApp.com, it's the World's first "Be On The LookOut" app for eBay Sellers (and itt's free and Apple-approved). All info is at the link below.

-Jordan Malik

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 18 17:47:56 2013

Hmmmmmmmmmm?
Can you IMAGINE TRYING to crop a photo on a cell phone while standing in line at a post office??
I don't think so.......