Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 10 2017 14:54:00

eBay Kills Pinterest-Style Collections

eBay wonders why sellers get so frustrated - it just made another change that cost sellers their investment in time and energy. Those who followed its advice and created curated Pinterest-style galleries called Collections are learning that eBay is no longer displaying them. While users can still view their own collections, eBay is killing the feature as a social tool or promotional feature.

eBay is sending users the following email titled "How your collections are displayed is changing":

We noticed that you've created several collections and want to let you know about changes to how collections are displayed.

Starting this month, your collections will no longer be displayed on eBay's Homepage, Browse pages, or similar shopping pages as curated, social, or promotional material.

You can still create, view, and manage your collections, and if you've been using collections as an extension of your watch list, don't worry! We'll be studying how customers are using collections and plan to incorporate them into watch lists, allowing you to create your own private shopping list.

Discover features that can deliver an even better eBay experience.

- If you've used collections to inspire your shopping, check out our new Editor's Picks, which help you discover curated items from across eBay.

- If you're a seller who has used collections to promote your inventory, check out Promotions Manager, which can more effectively drive customers to your listings - available in Seller Hub.

As always, thank you for using eBay.

eBay's Devin Wenig announced the feature in 2013 to much fanfare along with news that the company would expand its eBay Now local delivery service, which went the way of the dodo bird.

"The world is changing, with the lines between online and offline commerce blurring and the expectations of buyers and sellers rising rapidly," Devin Wenig said in the announcement of Collections 4 years ago. "With eBay's latest steps, we are bringing together the best of what people need from a shopping experience - speed and convenience - with things people love about shopping, like discovery and inspiration."

We can imagine sellers are irked to learn of the demise of Collections as a promotional tool that eBay said could "attract eager buyers who can purchase items right from your collections." In its email, eBay recommends sellers use the Promotions Manager to drive customers to their listings - but that requires sellers to lower their prices.

We're not sure what buyers think of losing the social tool meant to showcase their style. One user pointed out, "You would think they'd actually "announce" this, not just rely on sending emails."

Perminate Link for eBay Kills Pinterest-Style Collections   eBay Kills Pinterest-Style Collections

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 10 15:52:04 2017

I liked it much better when they only did two updates a year. Fix your software bugs and then make things pretty

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 10 15:56:50 2017

ANOTHER eBay blunder....

brought to you by the people with NO ECOMMERCE experience and their measly %3 growth rate!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Sep 10 16:11:51 2017

I NEVER used that feature . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Sep 10 18:59:12 2017

Thank Heavens.
Now, go back to the pre- 2004 format and it's a home run.
I have a screen shot if they need one.

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 10 19:33:27 2017

Glad I never WASTED any time with this. Everyone is pinning this and that but rarely have I heard it result into a sale (only smiles and likes). The ''Editor's Picks'' I have been getting are things I have no interest in; never searched for; will never buy. Their IA is doing something wrong. How come the Promoted listings ALWAYS have the highest prices. If I have something for sale that has a Promoted listing; I will just list it a buck or two lower and get the sale. Now they have expanded it to one items; new/used; in all categories - lowest price almost always wins.  In four years we will read  how this is being discontinued. There are many promoted listing now because Ebay has made them ''free'' for many TSR and Stores - wait until they cost money and see how much they are used. I can't wait for the ''NEW'' search I am sure it will be a winner too. I use to find exactly what I wanted using ''wild cards''. This was a simpler search for me. Now I spend time trying to figure WHY an item came up in my search results that doesn't have a single word of my search in it. Just my2ΒΆ

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 11 00:45:13 2017

Apparently, at some point in their putting yet another new coat of paint on this barn, (many colors this time!), somebody noticed some of the last coat showing through.  So they have to be rid of that, and naturally, with as little expense and effort as possible.

Besides, nobody 'collects' commoddoties.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 11 07:04:45 2017

Monkey see, monkey do.  Another failed implementation by eBay.

Has anyone ever kept a list of the ideas that eBay have copied (or stolen) from a competitors and then dropped?

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 11 08:27:52 2017

Judging by the bone headed moves both markets keep making,it seems like they have the same group of morons for employees.

The truth is that neither company cares about the sellers who just happen to own all of the merchandise on their sites.  One day all the financial geniuses are going to wake up when they find out they can't sell half the stuff on their site because it's all junk.  Easier to buy at Walmart, Target, Kohls, Amazon, etc.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Sep 11 08:34:48 2017

ALSO : Real hand made items will become non existant in the not-so-distant future.
When my generation fades out, the only thing remaining will be kids glued to their gizmos. They can't make anything. Real work with the hands has been discouraged, demeaned, and relegated to the "unintelligent", according to the "teachings" of public "school".
Etsy would be wise to plan for their own demise.

by: VeryGoodVintage This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 11 09:42:07 2017

Here's what I want to know, what will happen to my ebay items from "collections" that I already pinned to pinterest? Will the photos and link to my ebay selling site disappear? I'm not tech savvy and only started a pinterest board to pin the items that I sell on ebay. I also use my collections to save the photos and descriptions of items that I list because with turbo listing gone and ebay losing my unsold items, I can refer back to collections to relist or cut and paste descriptions that I've already created. I also used collections to save items that I was interested in when my 200 item count in lists were exceeded. (which I relied on lately since ebay seems to be doing away with any "lists" other than the "watch" list. Another "ARRGH!") Also, when clicking on a sold item in a collection, suggested similar items pop up that ebay search would never be able to show me. FYI since your "collections" no longer appear in the "my ebay" drop down menu, you have to click on your own user name to see the collections that you have created.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Sep 11 10:11:58 2017

@Flying Childers

"There's been a lot of talk about a merger between Etsy and Ebay but judging from all the articles I'm reading, it looks like it may have already happened in secret."

IMPOSSIBLE

They are both PUBLICLY traded companies with each it's own stock. . .

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 11 12:15:57 2017

Wasn't it just a few short years ago that these dimwits were squawking about the miracles that their "curated" collections were going to bring about?

Moral of the story:  NEVER trust anyone who uses the word "curated."

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 11 13:40:33 2017

Didn't even know they had one

by: pennyemporium This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 11 19:50:49 2017

@Flying Childers

''There's been a lot of talk about a merger between Etsy and Ebay but judging from all the articles I'm reading, it looks like it may have already happened in secret.''

ENTIRELY possible!

just because they may be two seemingly separate companies, as @ebayTool says, that doesn't mean that Etsy can't ''re-try'' all the failed schemes that eBay has tried in the past!

as a buyer AND seller on eBay since jan 1999, i've seen a lot come and go, and managed to weather the storm by doing the proverbial ''dodge and weave'' whenever the powers that be turned the boat to a new path.

i'm now selling on Etsy, too, with this last change of management (josh?) they seemed to trot out the old eBay playbook.  EVERY change Etsy has made seems to be a copy (and with EXACTLY similar results) from the eBay playbook.  want to see how all those changes worked out?  just check eBay!!!

i simply don't understand why they (Etsy management) seem to think that failed eBay tricks will work for a ''handmade'' items site.... unless there's a larger plot at work here....

by: Freeeeeeeee This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 12 19:59:25 2017

@flying childers

One day etsy and ebay will wake up and start making their own sellable junk and do away with sellers comlpletely

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Sep 12 21:51:52 2017

Promoted Listings are the current iteration of Collections.