Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Aug 7 2017 14:46:17

eBay Glitch Impacts Mobile Buyers and Sellers

eBay buyers and sellers who enjoy using the classic version of the site on their mobile devices are frantic after they've been unable to access it since about August 2nd.

Wrote one seller on this thread: "What happened to classic site? Impossible to do anything from phone now. Can't manage anything regarding my eBay business from my phone.  This is devastating for me. I used to be able to get on classic site to manage my store, etc.  now I can't. What happened? I'm dead in the water!"

On another thread, a seller wrote:

"Now, when I click the link for Classic Site, I just get an error message, "Page Not Found." It's incredibly frustrating, especially in regards to the All Selling page. I can no longer see at a glance how many page views my items have had, nor other pertinent information, without clicking on the item. And that opens an entirely new can of worms, in that what I can see of my listing is basically a blurb and a photo. Without clicking on an arrow, there are no details, etc. No wonder sales are down and buyers are giving up on finding what they want and going elsewhere."

Finally a moderator posted an acknowledgement on one of the threads about the problem on August 7, but stating it might take a few weeks to return the classic version to working order. "Thanks for the reports. The classic site link will be working properly over the next couple of weeks."

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Impacts Mobile Buyers and Sellers   eBay Glitch Impacts Mobile Buyers and Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Mon Aug 7 15:09:58 2017

What an embarrassment Ebay is. So much for the TV commercials they are currently running. Color Ebay DEAD.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 7 15:58:01 2017

Ta Da Just A new day in Fleeceland......

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Aug 7 16:28:37 2017

Erase Ebay and START OVER.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Aug 7 19:35:21 2017

Every eBay CSR must have a sign on their desk that reads: "If there's a problem, tell them to clear the cookies."

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 8 12:22:05 2017

Not sure about mobile, but last night I couldn't even buy 2 items  thru my laptop, gave up after about an hour.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Aug 8 12:38:38 2017

The classic site link has been broken for months.  It just loops back to the mobile feed view.  Before that, you had to keep hitting it because it never stuck from page  to page.  Now I just check the "request desktop" option in Chrome's  context menu.

But, again, working in IT, this level of incompetence is an epidemic, even more so when your IT is little more than a jobs program for visa holders.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Aug 8 12:41:22 2017

And none of this idiocy with the mobile/desktop switch not working would've even beem an issue if the mobile site actually worked properly.  That's what you get, though, when you set the bar so low and put up with them dropping below it anyway.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 9 10:57:26 2017

Just FYI, in downdetector.com someone posted a comment that EB is aware that there is a glitch with the mobile listings and it should be cleared up by 8/7.
Anywho, I'm trying to find new outlets and found these two sites interesting:  Deal dash and Top hatter.  There's also the EBTH (everything but the house) an estate buying.  Anybody know about these sites?
Anywho, I sent some clothing to swap.com and within 2 weeks I sold a sweater that I couldn't sell on Ebay.  Very impressive.  I'm also going to start going to local consignments.  I can't depend on Ebay anymore.
Also on downdetector.com some commenters are saying that their invoice amounts have dropped 90%.  from $1200 to 200.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 9 11:27:19 2017

"A reader wrote to EcommerceBytes Sunday night saying "a call to eBay CS only got a suggestion to clear cookies and cache, do not access eBay from a bookmark and to try another browser or two." The eBay customer service rep "seemed oblivious" when he told the rep that it was a system-wide problem with a growing number of threads on the discussion boards."

THIS is sadly typical of call to the overseas eBay "service" department. The representatives there often do not know what is happening on the site, are unaware of changes and the pile of glitches eBay is juggling at any given time, and just default to the pointless "clear your cookies" or "rearrange your whole on-line life by switching to a new browser" advice, which if you bother to follow them, will simply waste your time.

Over the last three of four years EBay has been one of the mostly poorly run service companies in the world. No exaggeration there. Outside of Sallie Mae, AT&T and maybe Delta Airlines, EBay bottoms out the list.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 9 11:50:39 2017

@JQ no wonder Carl icahn wanted to separate PP from Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Aug 9 13:39:42 2017

@Chicago48 - You want to stay far away from Deal Dash. That's one of those sites that charges you for every bid. On Deal Dash, it's 60 cents per bid, and it only raises the bid by 1 cent every time you bid. Basically all those penny auction sites are scams.

Say I have a turquoise widget that you want. I have it listed for $1. You place a bid, get charged 60 cents, and now the price for my widget is $1.01. Someone else places a bid, and now the price is $1.02. You place another bid, get charged another 60 cents, and now the price is $1.03. So you've already spent $1.20, more than the starting price, and you haven't won.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Aug 9 13:58:12 2017

@Chicago48 - I'd never heard of Tophatter so I decided to do some research. They are worse than eBay when it comes to fees.

1. There is a Success Fee when an item is won and paid for.
2. There is a Commission on the final sale price plus shipping.
3. There is a Processing Fee for processing each order.

And nowhere on the site is the actual amount of what those fees are. The only thing I could find was if you do a BIN, you are charged 10% for being "an unscheduled item" (whatever the heck that means).

I read a complaint letter online where a guy had $204.00 in sales for the month and was charged $140.00 in fees!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 9 14:15:06 2017

@Sparrow - thanks.  I was watching Tophatter and watching the YT videos, and was ready to go for it with the jewelry, but I'll back off.  Taking my stuff to local consignments.
But checkout Swap.com.  I sent a bag of stuff (1st round) and w/n 2 weeks a sweater sold.  They offered to buy my other stuff, which I accepted because it was worn, I wasn't wearing it....no loss.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Aug 9 16:08:17 2017

@Chicago48 - I looked at Swap.com and I don't think it's for me. Besides paying an Inbound Fee and a Surcharge, it appears they want you to take the credit option, instead of cash, to buy on the site. And in looking at a few things, it seems like a lot of stuff in the categories I searched has been obtained from the dollar stores.

I'm still doing great on eCrater where I don't have to pay some made-up fee to kill my profit.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 9 16:30:28 2017

You have to love the non-chalance of the ebay respondents....''it should be up in a few weeks''.

I have said it before....if their paycheck was delayed ''a few weeks'' until this was fixed, they would move mountains to fix it.  No big deal if it is other peoples money.

Really amazing...

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 9 18:28:50 2017

eBay can hardly serve a web page to users, it is no wonder shopping carts don't work, this is not just on the mobile end, they have the same problems serving pages to regular desktop users, eBay needs to replace top management across the top of the company, all of them.

by: Wag more bark less This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 10 09:01:21 2017

I sell used clothing and I have been doing great on Poshmark. For the little time I spent working on my Posh closet last month, I had more sales than my ebay store which I have been working on for years. I once had an average of 150 sales a month on ebay and now I'm down to about 25 sales a month. On Posh, each person is responsible for following and sharing other sellers listings to your followers and those sellers most likely do the same and share your listings with their followers. I have been sharing like crazy and have had a pretty good response of people sharing back. The key to effective sharing is to share listings belonging to other strong sharing sellers and sellers who have lots of followers. This way, your listings get seen by more buyers who are following those sellers. You also share your own listings to your followers. The commission is 20%, the buyer pays all shipping for items under 5 lbs, there are no fees to transfer money to your bank, and the biggie - No Refunds. Sales under $15 are a flat fee of $2.95. It is well worth a look if you sell in either mens or womens, clothes, shoes, make up or jewelry. It may not be for everyone but I have enjoyed it and selling has been fun again.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 10 10:47:08 2017

I've posted a workaround for this fix to a couple of eBay discussion groups, and I've had confirmation that it works:

1) Using mobile mode, pull up any individual listing for viewing.
2) Scroll to the bottom of that listing, and select the link to Classic View there.
3) That will work to put the listing into Classic View. Now go forward to your My eBay page from there (i.e. no Back button), and things should be back to normal at that point.

by: wheredidebaygo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 10 10:49:45 2017

My DH was a software engineer in Silicon Valley for 30 years, now retired. Word is no SE worth his/her salt wants eBay on their resume. Bottom of the barrel.

by: uppercutknives This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 10 11:12:21 2017

I see people panicking because they can't run their business on a 4" phone screen.  My suggestion is to set up a computer to run your business on and use the phone for a quick check on orders, shipping, etc.  Don't rely on just a 4" screen to run your business. What if your phone was lost or stolen?  Have a back up plan.