Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 14 2014 07:02:28

eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Reports are flooding in that eBay is down, estimated to be the twelfth major outage eBay has experienced this year. The website IsItDownRighNow confirms problems with the site.

Wrote one EcommerceBytes reader: "Can't log into eBay. Not with any account on any browser. One comedy screen told me it was my browser settings."

Other readers reported the problem on Ecommerce EKG. "eBay main page will not load on Firefox or Google Chrome @ 6:50am EST. Can get to the community boards, but still can't get to or log into my eBay account."

And users reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards, such as a thread titled, "Anyone else having sign in issues to eBay itself?" where a user wrote: "It's suddenly either just spinning on the sign in page on FF and on IE it won't even bring up the sign in page."

It's been a tough year for eBay Marketplaces with a security breach in February and March and major site accessibility issues. On top of that, eBay's Chief Technology Officer Mark Carges has just stepped down to focus on a family matter.

Please let us know if you're having problems by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board and leaving a message in the comments below.

Update 9/14/14 10:39 pm EST: eBay is blaming the problem on "unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases," see Monday's Newsflash story for more on the latest from the VP of eBay's Global Platform & Infrastructure Group Sri Shivananda.

Perminate Link for eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year   eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 06:04:38 2014

Basset, you are wise and well read, obviously, so I submit that by NOT being immersed in the constantly changing technology field, you can count your blessings. The tech terminology of today is obsolete tomorrow and trying to stay current at any given time is a full time job. In the blink of an eye, it's all useless information. You are one of the fortunate ones. :D

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 15 06:19:44 2014

Was vacationing on a beach in North Carolina, and was unable to log into eBay.  White screen.

Looked through 9 pages of Ina's post, and I see no eBay cheerleaders.

eBay's Board of Directors are just as asleep at the wheel has Dizzy "Thinking Day" D-hue is.

The ex-CTO and the CEO of Amazon must have had a nice chuckle over their morning cups of coffee.

by: Leesantiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 06:27:31 2014

Tried to put some listings up last night.  Kept getting prompted to sign in, while Ebay lost the work I had done.

I did finally manage to put up 2 listings, but it took a good 45 minutes plus - way, way, longer than it should have; needless to say.  I gave up after the second one.

Hoping things are improved today, and am wondering how much I lost on the items that I had ending yesterday.

Lee

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Sep 15 07:26:10 2014

Thanks, Really.
eBay seems to be taking themselves down on their own. Unfortunately, it affects many decent people - many posters on this blog and many that have never been here are collateral damage.

After the ''anniversary eBay outage'' I stopped doing auction format on all accounts. One non-store account does not have many listings - so I just paid the fee to list them as fixed price.

So - on a good day:  if my items are visible, if eBay is up and running, if the buying process is working, and if someone wants the item - they can buy it.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 07:59:34 2014

@pace306

THIS is the important post of the day.

When mutual funds dump the stock, it should tell you something.

And I always wanted a comprehensive list of previous jobs of these CLOWNS.

I think we all guessed they had no experience, but

WOW

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Mon Sep 15 08:05:54 2014

@Really,I mean really?
I tried to call Spencer at Bloomberg News also and he didnt seem nearly as enthusuastic as when i first contacted him. Said he was still interested in the article but that he was tied up and would return my call. did not return my call.

by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 08:16:42 2014

I was unable to log into "My Ebay" with Mozilla, but I could log in with Chrome. I thought it was a problem with an automatic update to Mozilla the evening before, so I tried all of the recommended fixes for the "redirect" error, but nothing worked. Today everything is back to normal. My sales for the weekend however are about half as usual.

by: semper fi This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 08:17:49 2014

People, read your ''NEW USER AGREEMENT''. ebay is NOT responsible for ANYTHING, ANY LONGER, AND NEVER WILL BE, EXCEPT FOR THIS; ''WE WILL CONTINUE, TO TAKE YOUR MONEY, DRIVE YOUR SALES INTO THE MUCK, RE-DIRECT BUYERS TO OTHER SITES FOR OUR PAID ADVERTISERS, AND BE SURE YOU ARE AS DIS-SATISFIED AS WE CAN MAKE YOU''! Sincerely, THE TEAM

PS: You may close your account by simply clicking on this link.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 15 08:22:04 2014

Spencer at Bloomberg has caved in. Someone get Michael Moore on the phone.  He doesn't cave in..

by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 08:35:40 2014

@laurengrace, Basset tried gently to tell us from the getgo that our efforts would be fruitless. I didn't want to believe it but the proof is in the pudding. We tried! Lesson learned. I won't travel that road again.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 08:43:43 2014

Someone forgot to put the horns on JD  OR did someone Photoshop them out?

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Mon Sep 15 08:45:15 2014

@Really,I mean Really and @Rexford
I will still go down that road. Some reporter somewhere IS going to listen and Will report this. Rexford, you may be right about Michael Moore.If you can just get to him, i think he would run with this.

by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 08:52:56 2014

He is probably the only person on the planet who would run with this. Yeah, I agree with ya'll on that. But will he? He just divorced a few months ago.

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 09:15:27 2014

I tried unsuccessfully several times on Sunday to do some price comparisons via eBay.  No go, trying to get to ebay.com.  Wasn't re-directed or anything like that. It just wouldn't connect at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Mon Sep 15 09:53:02 2014

Ask Seller a Question link must really messed up. I tried on two separate auctions to ask questions and I got a message seller don't answer questions. I went ahead and bought one of the items and when I paid through PayPal, I left a message on the PayPal checkout page to the seller that I wanted to ask a question but was blocked from doing so. After checkout, I received a message from the seller that they never put any sort of block from potential buyers asking questions and they would contact Ebay immediately to see what is going on. They told me I was the second buyer this morning having this issue. Way to go Ebay! Now they are the ones to tell us to contact the seller if buyers have a question. Just one more thing to hinder sellers from making a sale. Ebay is dying a slow death buy its own hand.

by: Cyclestripper This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 10:37:45 2014

IMHO,technical problems such as this have been common in the JD administration due to the attitude inherent to slamming in constant changes to the live system. Dumb thing to do.

by: MovinOn This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 10:50:46 2014

ebay programming is outsourced to India because it is cheaper. 'nuff said.

by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 11:15:27 2014

@Basset
I did some research and understand more fully your position now on multiple fronts.

1) The Council on Foreign Relations. The consolidated dominant control over all forms of media they have and how public U.S. opinion is now dictated by their sanitized broadcasts.

2) Being an American, and brought up in a Southern home where patriotism, morals, manners, charm, politeness, sir, man, please and thank you were ingrained into my every fiber, I've always believed America was the greatest country in the world and would take personally any afront to this great land. Hence, my defiance and willingness to rise in revolution against the Tyrant this New eBay which threatened the livelihoods of countless many Americans.

Little did I realize how globally affecting the seemingly pending imminent implosion of eBay will be. I read yesterdays posts on another forum similar to this one from eBayers in Spain, France, Australia, Isreal, Luxembourg and if not for the subtle lexical nuances in their English, I wouldn't have known they were in lands oceans away because their concerns, fears, rants and raves are absolutely no different than ours here in the U.S.

Quite realistically, potentially millions of people across the globe who have depended upon eBay as a source of income, partial or primary, are being adversely affected or literally decimated by these, to quote Ming, ''sociopaths'' at eBay's helm.

Wrapping my mind around that concept is almost too overwhelming to comprehend.

And to me, what's even worse is there are people out there who know all this, have the power/wealth/status to intervene and stop this depravity, this collateral damage, yet stand idly by with their hands crossed or have just turned their backs on the situation entirely. Really? I mean really?

The world truly has gone to hell in a handbasket.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Mon Sep 15 11:26:17 2014

Could this be the work of Chinese hackers at work taking Ebay down to make way for other big selling site out of China?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Sep 15 11:33:11 2014

I feel like a real wet blanket, media wise:

Michael Moore is busy working out a settlement on over something like 9 properties and several million net worth for divorce purposes.

He is apparently taking the wife to task because property value, size and location caused media reports to make sport of his poor/working class-defender image as portrayed in his movies. (see the Detroit News article by Francis X Donnelly from July 24, 2014)

Where is lithium when you need it!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]