728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Forums
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 14 2014 07:02:28

eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Reports are flooding in that eBay is down, estimated to be the twelfth major outage eBay has experienced this year. The website IsItDownRighNow confirms problems with the site.

Wrote one EcommerceBytes reader: "Can't log into eBay. Not with any account on any browser. One comedy screen told me it was my browser settings."

Other readers reported the problem on Ecommerce EKG. "eBay main page will not load on Firefox or Google Chrome @ 6:50am EST. Can get to the community boards, but still can't get to or log into my eBay account."

And users reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards, such as a thread titled, "Anyone else having sign in issues to eBay itself?" where a user wrote: "It's suddenly either just spinning on the sign in page on FF and on IE it won't even bring up the sign in page."

It's been a tough year for eBay Marketplaces with a security breach in February and March and major site accessibility issues. On top of that, eBay's Chief Technology Officer Mark Carges has just stepped down to focus on a family matter.

Please let us know if you're having problems by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board and leaving a message in the comments below.

Update 9/14/14 10:39 pm EST: eBay is blaming the problem on "unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases," see Monday's Newsflash story for more on the latest from the VP of eBay's Global Platform & Infrastructure Group Sri Shivananda.

Reading EcommerceBytes Blog: eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Perminate Link for eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year   eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year
by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 22:15:11 2014
Really? I mean really?: "...the hackers who got in originally found NUMEROUS backdoors..."

Yeah, that and/or created backdoors, trapdoors, sidedoors, screen doors, overhead doors,  aircraft hanger doors, batcave doors!... omg lmao! What would make anyone believe otherwise from the beginning? It's too obvious?

Someone else mentioned Monty Python's parrot sketch. Just guessing there was a  quest for shrubberies involved too.   Neeee! Neeeeee!

Oh and ebay, nice try on the thechno-babble. Spin again?
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 22:24:36 2014
@brokentoys19

ROTFLMAO!!!
Ignorance is bliss and the average eBay user may be fluent in social networking but doesn't really understand the inner workings of what makes all of this tick. You see the truth, I see it, many do but sadly, the vast majority will believe that explanation because it was written by the ''VP of Ebay's Global Platform and Infrastructure Group''. And with a title like that, well, that person must know what they are talking about.
This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Sep 14 22:41:34 2014
Paypal looks to have been hacked as well. Just two days ago I received an email (addressed to my full name) an ''ebay money request cancelled'' from member@paypal.com. It gave item numbers, item title, item unit value and an ebay user ID (d56forsale). Now get this - it was dated Aug 2, 2005. WTF?

Of course there was the link to open or copy & paste, which I did not do.

The phishing email was signed - Sincerely, Paypal along with all the other stuff about protecting your password.

The mega seller is ''not a registered user'' and has not sold anything for over 12 months. By the way I use to buy these collectible figurines years ago but never sold any.

I would just chalk this up to another phishing email if it were not for the 2005 date and items I may have or may not have purchased back then.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Sep 14 22:48:53 2014
Business schools don't teach their students how to sell, write code, manufacture storm windows, etc.

Business schools teach students strategies in multiple areas, management practices, and business ethics among other things.

The conservative US Supreme Court has ruled that a public corporation's first obligation is to their shareholders.

We've seen first hand how this edict has created more than a multitude of sins in corporate America.

What these sociopaths learn -- and don't forget b schools graduate the highest percentage of sociopaths than any other graduate program -- is how to manipulate stock prices, resource allocation, how to conceal and deceive through 'creative' accounting practices and propaganda, how to maximize profit by ANY MEANS NECESSARY to survive and advance, how to select family members of the three blind mice to serve on their BoDs, and to massage Wall Street analysts and media.

Once one of these sociopaths reaches the level of The Ho or The Devil they deal in broad strategies and practices to promote ebafia's and their own self interests NOT in creating improved selling environments.

If they want and need to know anything about selling then they hire sales and marketing specialists. If in fact ebay has ever done this they've obviously paid no attention to what these people told them.

There is distinctive ebay corporate culture, and it is one of self indulgence, ego centricity, and entitlement from top to bottom.

The results speak for themselves.

by: Eric Saeger This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 22:55:43 2014
"Unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases..."

Regular readers who know about systems have probably suspected eBay has been cheap with database hardware.  I've thought for a long while now that their cheapness is bringing about a reckoning.  Bet you anything Amazon's using super-duty stuff that's way better than eBay's.

If a particular "storage array" is twitchy, that explains "rolling blackouts."  I said as much on the Powerseller cheerleader board two years ago.  Mark my freakin words.
This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Sep 14 23:24:02 2014
...and all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again....

Ebay is looking for a bigger bandaid. Search isn't showing anything, must not be relevant. Oh, too bad, so sad ...ebay.
by: gennut3 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 23:25:46 2014
I lost an eSnipe bid on a book that I would have won because they (eSnipe) could not connect with eBay.  YUK
by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 23:29:42 2014
I got redirected to a site that wanted me to download an antivirus ware. I think that was sometime around noon Pacific time. I was locked out of Ebay for several hours this morning, although I did get in for a few minutes at a time, but when I tried to search, down it went again.
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 23:32:33 2014
@bitbybit

Though I have no crystal ball, am not a mindreader or a psychic, I don't believe PayPal itself was hacked. If it had been, our PayPal accounts would have already been depleted/and or drained of funds by now.

The info you described is all stored within eBay. I DO BELIEVE, all of our personal info, i.e., full name, address, phone number (whatever is on file with eBay), along with a portion if not all of our buying/selling history was copied and removed from within eBay and that information has been/is being sold on the darkweb. Worldwide!

I honestly expect to receive more strange phone calls and phishing emails as I too have experienced the EXACT type of email you described and have already received a few scam phone calls from Jamaica and here in the states.

In time, EVERY eBay user will too. Guaranteed!!! eBay SHOULD be held accountable for this but that probably won't ever happen.
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 23:44:46 2014
@Ming

Bullseye! The results are SCREAMING loud and clear right now.
This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Sep 14 23:54:12 2014
Thanks Really. Ever since my bank account was hacked into back in March, I have become even more guarded especially with my distrust in ebay. They can't secure the site yet they want to get into mining big data.
by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 23:59:00 2014
What a mess this place has become! I use to hold out hope, but every day seems to get worse.

One question, will eBay get ding for this? You know with all of this Dings I think they should be BAN !!!

lol
by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 00:14:45 2014
@RichieC  I agree, I'm the eternal optimist...been selling since 99, every time there's an update...I think "it can't get any worse" well it's gone beyond my expectations.
What is really dumbfounding is that those bozos on cnbc don't call them out on it.  Seems ebay is like apple.....they can do no wrong.
If all this got more publicity, and they interviewed some sellers I think it would get shareholders attention.
I agree, don't they get a "defect" no wait, when they screw up it's a "glitch".
Ridiculous.  I couldn't sign on to an account either this morning.
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 00:15:03 2014
Sorry to hear about the bank account. THAT should show you that truly no information is safe. I would recommend to ALL eBay users to change their password yet again. And to change their PayPal password. There's no such thing as being too safe. And concerning the passwords, make them as complex and long as possible!!!

Here's a link to an article on why you shouldn't use the WPS button on your wireless router, which isn't relevant to this discussion, EXCEPT for the fact that password length/strength is discussed by an expert and THAT info is alone is priceless for EVERYONE to know.

use-wps-on-your-wi-fi-network
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 00:18:01 2014
Sorry! here's the link again.

-use-wps-on-your-wi-fi-network
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 00:52:01 2014
@Fashionista

laurengrace contacted the eCommerce reporter for Bloomberg News and told him how eBay, I meant, John Donahoe & Co, are systematically expelling all small/medium American sellers from the eBay platform. He gave his email/phone info which she posted. Many of us contacted him. I called him and talked for 30 minutes! I then wrote a couple of long comments here calling all readers to rise up in revolution against the Evil Empire of this New eBay and contact this reporter. He said he would report our story.

Someone commented that though he may get all the facts together, he may be shot down from ''above'' and the story never make it to print. I am now more inclined to side with that view because though I have emailed Spencer Soper many times with much info, he doesn't respond anymore. I told him I believed eBay had been hacked on their anniversary, gave my technical background, and because I had no proof, he didn't want to hear it. So, chances are the media, which we already know are controlled, aren't going to air our side of the story.

Ironically, the hackers are our best friends right now because if they keep this barrage of ''technical issues'' explanations spewing forth from the mouths of eBay execs, the lid won't be kept shut much longer.
This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen
Mon Sep 15 01:17:52 2014
Well, I suppose now that Carges has gone, in the meantime Johnny Ho will step in and take care of any technical issues, as well as “PreyPal” … Ho, Ho, Ho …

"Even though people think I'm an expert at technological innovation, my own instinct for technology was frozen in place in 1982."—John Donahoe (26 Sep 2007) ...

Now, on the first part, who could have possibly thought that? On the second, a few of the only ingenuous words that Johnny Ho has ever spoken ... http://bit.ly/YvxFEg
by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 01:53:20 2014
Wow - are we finally seeing the demise of ebay? After all these years of people feeing and thinking the ship would go down without them - are they finally imploding onto themselves? Staff leaving - system no longer working - Chinese carp everywhere. holy smokes - it just might be happening. When was the first big evacuation? 2002? There are a lot of folks who never came back over the years - folks who like me still follow what's happening. Waiting. Waiting for the collapse. You can treat some of the people like crap some of the time but not all of the folks all of the time. It's sad really. they had a good thing for a long time. Just lost site of the plan. Took all the sellers for granted and never truly understood that they were the ones who built the site not the buyers. After all what does ebay have actually without sellers? We've all learned how to earn a living somewhere else. I don't know one single seller who depends on ebay for a living anymore.
This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Sep 15 05:13:38 2014
@Really, I mean Really - ''Someone commented that though he may get all the facts together, he may be shot down from ''above'' and the story never make it to print.''

I'm the one who made that comment on that thread.

I listen to or read news media a lot, the whole spectrum - MSM, and those with either a ''right'' or ''left'' slant. Most media has been corrupted for quite a while now. eBay is one story that few one ever do ''consumer'' reporting on. And there has been ample opportunity.

If you listen to ex-reporters, including well-known MSM reporters who have quit their jobs (or been fired) for ''real'' reporting of facts - Much reporting NEVER makes it to our ears and eyes unless it has been sanitized or fits an ''approved'' agenda from ''above''.

Just look at who OWNS main stream media. Didn't this reporter work for Bloomberg?

And...

I'm probably a somewhat average eBay user. I didn't grow up immersed in tech knowledge like many today.

My response to their statement was: ''Huh???''

My lack of tech knowledge does not mean that I think that statement is anything but male bovine excrement.
by: Really? I mean really? This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 15 05:44:40 2014
Kudos to you, Basset, cause you were right as rain!

I still wanted to believe in ''freedom of the Press'' but understand now those days have been left by the wayside.

It's only fitting I guess that the darkside of the web, where everything illegal and immoral can be had for a price will be who brings down the Evil Empire of the New eBay, aka John Donahoe & Co.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Atleast that truism is still valid.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]