Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 14 2014 07:02:28

eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Reports are flooding in that eBay is down, estimated to be the twelfth major outage eBay has experienced this year. The website IsItDownRighNow confirms problems with the site.

Wrote one EcommerceBytes reader: "Can't log into eBay. Not with any account on any browser. One comedy screen told me it was my browser settings."

Other readers reported the problem on Ecommerce EKG. "eBay main page will not load on Firefox or Google Chrome @ 6:50am EST. Can get to the community boards, but still can't get to or log into my eBay account."

And users reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards, such as a thread titled, "Anyone else having sign in issues to eBay itself?" where a user wrote: "It's suddenly either just spinning on the sign in page on FF and on IE it won't even bring up the sign in page."

It's been a tough year for eBay Marketplaces with a security breach in February and March and major site accessibility issues. On top of that, eBay's Chief Technology Officer Mark Carges has just stepped down to focus on a family matter.

Please let us know if you're having problems by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board and leaving a message in the comments below.

Update 9/14/14 10:39 pm EST: eBay is blaming the problem on "unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases," see Monday's Newsflash story for more on the latest from the VP of eBay's Global Platform & Infrastructure Group Sri Shivananda.

Perminate Link for eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year   eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:34:34 2014

LOL at the artwork of ebay in flames behind JD...he just needs a fiddle in his hands!

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:50:56 2014

It's a big, chaotic, complicated website, there is gonna be downtime.  They fixed it in an hour or so.  This is to be expected.

by: Kaz This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:57:10 2014

Steevo...........
you are kidding right ?
An hour or so ??, what kind of timepiece do you use ??
A sundial on a cloudy day ??
Amazon is a big, complicated website, it's just not chaotic and is rarely ever down.
Read the title of this piece, it's the 12th such outage so far this year.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Sep 14 12:10:32 2014

This morning I could go to eBay's home page, but when I tried to go to My eBay Summary I would get the message "connection reset" (Firefox). All seems to be working again 10:00 a.m. PDT.

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 12:24:30 2014

My question is: If eBay is determined to exterminate any seller that they deem has ''provided a less than positive experience for a buyer, and caused them to be less likely to use eBay in the future'', how will they compensate sellers for the untold number of buyers that are not likely to return because they couldn't log in today or any of the other 11 times this year that the site was down?
My sales and page views are down by 80% since the new seller standards went into place, despite the fact that I have 100% positive Feedback, 5 Star DSRs across the board, zero defects, and my BIN prices (price and shipping lowest) are lower than any of my competitors.
I guess the bills can all wait, LOL. For the 1st time in my long eBay history, I will have to pull funds out to meet my obligations since my expenses now exceed my income despite being very frugal.
Very disappointing to say the very least.

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 12:30:05 2014

To clarify, it is likely that a portion of buyers will not return due to the perception that personal data may be at risk and the perception that any site malfunction may be the result of hacking, true or not.

by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 12:52:25 2014

I've had serious problems too.  I just got a notice there was a bid on one of my items that I SOLD on there yesterday. I guess it will affect my DSRs if the system relisted this item. I do not know, as I have very little visibility. Makes one wonder if the hackers have taken over? Well, among other ideas I will not share.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Sep 14 12:54:57 2014

Meanwhile, my sales continue to be strong on eCrater.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 12:56:14 2014

Had three auctions that I wanted to bid on and win this morning.

Could not bid on any of them.  They all ended below my bid at low amounts.
Sellers are getting killed by these outages.

by: alwayselegant This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 12:58:01 2014

Tried to log in all morning, starting at 9:00 am EST. Reset modem and was finally able to log in after 5 hours, around 1:15 pm. Why, Ebay, WHY?????

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Sun Sep 14 13:09:52 2014

I have not been inconvenienced at all with this outage. Why? because i am a restricted ex-seller, so no worries for me. I am not allowed to sell on ebay, though always free to buy, if the site is ever up long enough for me to make a purchase.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bad Hair Day

Sun Sep 14 13:11:03 2014

One of these days someone is going to pull open the curtains and find that it's the ''Wizard Of Oz'' back there running the whole show!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Sun Sep 14 13:21:16 2014

Just tried the link to ask seller a question with the option OTHER and it said seller unable to respond. I also tried all the other options and got the same thing. Seller is not on vacation mode. It is still glitchy. Dang, I just wanted to see if they would combine shipping as I'm ready to buy now. But knowing ebay, they wouldn't be able to respond back to me anyway. Way to go Ebay. Its not enough you are driving sellers away, now you are messing up BAD with the buyers. Been on ebay since 1999 and have NEVER ever seen such a train wreck. Get it together or just close up shop. Ebay you have 0 stars and you are defective!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Sep 14 13:29:23 2014

Not a day old and this story has 113 comments already ... Carry on Johnny Ho; you're doing a great job ...

Retail Payments (and Apple/PayPal)—The Reality ... http://bit.ly/1nSA1Zl

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Sep 14 13:36:39 2014

Ah, who needs to log in these days anyway; eBay has pink slipped many merchants, and the buyers appear to be staying away in droves; so, what's the point? It's about time they removed the life support from the now putrefying old whale; doesn't Johnny Ho yet recognise that his Marketplace is dead?

Reminds me of the old Monty Python "dead parrot" sketch ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Sun Sep 14 13:43:40 2014

Maybe the guy who resigned took the USB start-up drive with him.

Do you think things will be better by Cyber Monday?

Remember when eBay was bragging, because they were letting the computers run in warmer rooms? The air conditioning temp went up and maybe the servers are too.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Sep 14 14:03:50 2014

Really, how can this be anything but another hack with users being re directed to Russia when they attempt to sign in?

We're one hack closer to John Donahoe's departure.

Spassiba, comrades!

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 14:05:12 2014

Started at 5:30 CST to list..noticed there were issues so I tried Google Chrome Browser thinking it was my Internet Explorer and no go.  Sunday is my best selling day.  Hate to miss all those sales.  I am sure buyers are not happy either.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Sep 14 14:25:58 2014

I wonder who's next at eBay to resign because of "family matters."

by: Filadelfos This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 14:46:32 2014

If you manually log out of eBay & then go & manually log back in, you'll be able to do whatever it was you were planning on doing. How many buyers will figure this out?  I'm betting it's a very small percentage, and thus I'm calling it an outage.

If you surf around eBay and click on something that requires you to login, or re-authenticate your already logged-in session (add a listing, edit a listing, add to watch list, buy an item, markdown manager, etc.), you get the ''page cannot be displayed'' error.  This will also happen if you've been to eBay recently & it's pulling a cookie session, not just when using an already logged-in window.

Since you can work-around this by manually logging in & out, I'm going to assume that it's yet another instance of them updating a URL & not propogating the change properly... and not putting in 301 redirects either.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]