Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 14 2014 07:02:28

eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Reports are flooding in that eBay is down, estimated to be the twelfth major outage eBay has experienced this year. The website IsItDownRighNow confirms problems with the site.

Wrote one EcommerceBytes reader: "Can't log into eBay. Not with any account on any browser. One comedy screen told me it was my browser settings."

Other readers reported the problem on Ecommerce EKG. "eBay main page will not load on Firefox or Google Chrome @ 6:50am EST. Can get to the community boards, but still can't get to or log into my eBay account."

And users reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards, such as a thread titled, "Anyone else having sign in issues to eBay itself?" where a user wrote: "It's suddenly either just spinning on the sign in page on FF and on IE it won't even bring up the sign in page."

It's been a tough year for eBay Marketplaces with a security breach in February and March and major site accessibility issues. On top of that, eBay's Chief Technology Officer Mark Carges has just stepped down to focus on a family matter.

Please let us know if you're having problems by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board and leaving a message in the comments below.

Update 9/14/14 10:39 pm EST: eBay is blaming the problem on "unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases," see Monday's Newsflash story for more on the latest from the VP of eBay's Global Platform & Infrastructure Group Sri Shivananda.

Perminate Link for eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year   eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

by: WhatWas This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:40:12 2014

I hope the site stays down for a whole week - let the stock collapse and hope that Donhole can experience the same surprises, stress, suffer losses, and be forced to quit ebay - just like the other sellers that have been leaving in droves.

Maybe if I hurry, I can find someone at the flee market willing to rent half their space today!

by: KarasKarats2012 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:41:13 2014

We've been trying for a couple hours, Chrome and IE.  We can browse as a guest on IE, but Chrome defaults to the sign-in page and it's not found.  Hope it's up soon!

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:41:37 2014

@XebayX

Looks like what ever it was is now resolved.  I still find the timing bizarre - a week plus, there was server maintenance in which users reported their accounts deleted, a few days ago the CTO steps down, and then this morning first people report redirects to Russian sites, then people unable to login for 6+ hours.

Smells like a duck to me

by: Neptune This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:42:48 2014

With all of the junk mail ebay sends to sellers, How about sending an announcement to let us know they have a technical problem and when they expect to be back on line.  People are downloading other browser and troubleshooting their own systems when there is nothing wrong on their end.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Sep 14 10:45:02 2014

eBay posted on its Announcement Board 11:29 EST: "We are aware that some users may experience problems when using the eBay Site. We are actively working on restoring the issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused."

by: Donna This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:45:21 2014

I just sold something although I have not been able to connect with ebay all morning. When I checked - it is back online for me at 10:36 am CST using Firefox.

by: journeywoman This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:47:04 2014

eBay back up in Michigan at 11:15 am - Down 6.5 hours this am.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Sun Sep 14 10:49:04 2014

Starting to see more accessbility to eBay now. Was able to log into my account, although when I went into a listing, received this message:

We are performing scheduled maintenance, and updating some of our best deals. Check back shortly!

by: lioness This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:49:55 2014

I;m going to be way down on an item ending in 50 minutes.  This is awful.  I can see the item on my tablet app, but cannot sign in

by: Mill This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:50:06 2014

I haven't been able to get into ebay since 5 am.  I received emails for auctions that were ending but links won't work.  Sign in page states page is unavailable or connection was broken.  I stopped trying to sign in when I read about people being redirected to Russia.

This is worse than the early days of ebay when their servers were constantly overwhelmed.  I believe this is a major world wide hack and they won't admit it.

by: lioness This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:51:19 2014

No good here in the UK.  Just get "connection reset" all the time.

by: WhatWas This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:56:25 2014

Just came back online 11:44am ET in NC - USA

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Sun Sep 14 10:58:39 2014

Took a few minutes but was able to log in, CA. Very slow navigating throughout. We use Chrome. More lost sales.

by: lioness This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:00:50 2014

OK, Im back in and just got another bid, so fingers crossed.

by: Ron This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:02:14 2014

What a mess eBay is.  My auctions end on Sunday evening and I felt that the sell ratio and prices realized were especially poor last week due to the recent problems that eBay was experiencing.  Now, with this, I don't know what to expect tonight.  I already ended two auctions early due to lack of interest - these were very good items, one of which I had sold other copies of for very good money.  I must admit that I've lost all confidence in eBay - I already wasn't enchanted, but it's become worse and worse with every action taken by eBay "management".  I think that the lesson here for big business is not to do things simply to boost short term stock value or as a defensive competitive move, but rather do what you do well.  eBay had a very clear business model before Donahoe and his team started to muck up the waters.  It's gotten to the point that it is a very confused place, trying to be Amazon, Walmart and just about any other large retailer, rather than eBay.  All that they are achieving is becoming a pale version of these other players, without the clear business model that these other businesses have.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Sun Sep 14 11:03:54 2014

Able to sign in and access my ebay and everything else here in Louisiana at 10:00 AM central time.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:05:05 2014

BACK UP.

11:50 AM EST Cleveland, OH

by: DJBrady This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:14:43 2014

Still having difficulty signing in, adding item to watch list, getting into our watchlists.

Ebay needs to keep tabs of their own defects...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Sep 14 11:19:09 2014

Another day, another eBay outage.

I made more money playing games on World  Winners site than I did on eBay.

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 11:30:54 2014

Still not fully back - get long delays in between some of the pages and getting more and more "Feature Unavailable" when trying to edit a listing

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]