728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Forums
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 14 2014 07:02:28

eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Reports are flooding in that eBay is down, estimated to be the twelfth major outage eBay has experienced this year. The website IsItDownRighNow confirms problems with the site.

Wrote one EcommerceBytes reader: "Can't log into eBay. Not with any account on any browser. One comedy screen told me it was my browser settings."

Other readers reported the problem on Ecommerce EKG. "eBay main page will not load on Firefox or Google Chrome @ 6:50am EST. Can get to the community boards, but still can't get to or log into my eBay account."

And users reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards, such as a thread titled, "Anyone else having sign in issues to eBay itself?" where a user wrote: "It's suddenly either just spinning on the sign in page on FF and on IE it won't even bring up the sign in page."

It's been a tough year for eBay Marketplaces with a security breach in February and March and major site accessibility issues. On top of that, eBay's Chief Technology Officer Mark Carges has just stepped down to focus on a family matter.

Please let us know if you're having problems by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board and leaving a message in the comments below.

Update 9/14/14 10:39 pm EST: eBay is blaming the problem on "unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases," see Monday's Newsflash story for more on the latest from the VP of eBay's Global Platform & Infrastructure Group Sri Shivananda.

Reading EcommerceBytes Blog: eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Perminate Link for eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year   eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year
This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Sep 14 09:54:44 2014
Very strange is I can log on to ecommercebytes.com  went to google to type in news eBay and it came up about being down on tamebay.com also but I cannot get on to tamebay with any browser either, can get in fine here and anywhere on the web but eBay and tamebay
This user has validated their user name. by: mcfiver

Sun Sep 14 09:59:20 2014
It's 10:47 AM here in Michigan...and while I'm able to access my Selling Manager page, most everything else is down. Have not been redirected but am asked to log in, which I declined to do. Perhaps Mr. Donahoe should take his daily pause soon and reflect on letting us sellers know the nature of this problem and how soon they expect it to be resolved.
by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:59:21 2014
ANOTHER WARNING that eBay may have been hacked -

Like I said, I am able to schedule/list my unsold items, but if I go in the edit, when I get the review page I see at the top:

"The email address you entered isn't associated with an active PayPal account, so although you're able to complete this listing, you can't receive funds. Make sure the email address is correct and matches your active PayPal account. Or, set up a PayPal account soon with this email address."

The address I use has not changed in 10+ years.  More confirmation that there is a SERIOUS issue in eBays Identity Management System, and they have taken it off line and have cut links between eBay and PayPal - looks like standard data containment measures in the case of a hacking/data breech
by: McBob This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:00:33 2014
If I'm not mistaken, despite being a trillion dollar company, Ebay maintains no technical staff whatsoever on weekends. Previous weekend outages have taken literally eons to fix as a result. I expect this one to be no different.
by: Mamashmotek This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:03:53 2014
Getting "Safari cannot open the page because network connection was lost"
But it's not lost!!!
by: Mamashmotek This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:05:00 2014
Why hasn't ebay notified anyone or posting an announcement online???????
by: chloeintx This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:07:42 2014
What are we who rely on this for an income do?  Is E-Bay going to buy some stuff from sellers to make up for the money us sellers are losing due to this issue?  This is horrible. I had one sale yesterday morning but then couldn't print a shipping label. Very irritating to say the least.  I think that there is some tinkering with searches going on like JD had done years ago that messed things up for a lot of sellers.  I wonder how many sellers are going to leave now?  I guess this outage will cause another major exodus of sellers that are fed up with this stuff.  If I can't list I can't sell, if buyers can buy we all lose money.
It seems like when the defect rating system went in effect is when this all started. If you have to move sellers up and down in search results I can only imagine how this kind of tinkering is going to affect the servers.  Talk about rolling servers.
by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.
Sun Sep 14 10:10:24 2014
@frustrated, yes, it is possible to Google how owns eBay stock and how many shares of it they own. All top ebay execs also have to file with the SEC when they sell any of their stocks, and that becomes public record and can also be Googled.
This user has validated their user name. by: 360

Sun Sep 14 10:10:47 2014
I finally got through to CSR on my FIFTH attempt and got a person who said that eBay has closed down the ability to log into the site. When I asked if it had been hacked, the CSR said it was LIKELY a response to an exploit. VERRRRRRY interesting! So if eBay found that someone had been redirecting users to a phishing site when they log in, they SHUT DOWN the log-in page to keep people's accounts from being stolen.

MAN, I can't wait to hear how they spin this!!
by: WhatWas This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:17:14 2014
This appears to be more serious than just the site being down. The front end seems to work, the back end -  database access is no longer connected. i.e. info for account login, realtime info, status, buying, shipping is not working.

I am not an expert, but know I am about to loose $1000 today - Thanks Donhole!  Seriously today would be a great day to take a thinking day! to craft your resignation Letter!
by: Russ This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:22:20 2014
Perhaps too many sellers removing listings before the slaughter...

Unable to access eBay at all from my PC or tablet...messages.

Checked on my cell phone for my ''sold'' items to monitor shipping progress and now all that displays is ''Unsold''....leave the value with the highest number!!

My last item on eBay ended yesterday with no sale, of course.

Off to other pastures...just too risky at eBay for me, a ''small'' seller...oh, that's right...I'm no longer wanted...so want to be wanted...

Suppose they can sign this ''outage'' ....

From Russia, With Love
by: tawhite This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:23:02 2014
I was listing w/o problems from 1-4amET. But have been unable sign in since 9:30am.

There is a small flag on the eBay Customer Support page that says ''website issues''. When you click Read more, there's a canned message about ''technical difficulties'' affecting ''key areas'' of eBay, and a note that eBay hopes to resolve it soon.

No redirects.
by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:24:57 2014
Did eBay suffer huge data breaches over the last week?

Today in the early morning, users were reporting that they were being asked to login, and were being redirected to a Russian site.  This is unconfirmed, but saw many postings regarding this.

For the last 6 hours, it looks like eBay's Identity system is OFFLINE.

Many users can search, browse, view items, but noone seems to be able to bid, make offers, watch, etc.  If your account was cached, or you were logged in before the breach you seem to be o.k., those who NEED to login are met with page not available.

My seller account is one of those that is still technically "online" and I am able to relist or schedule items, but actions requiring me to login fail.

Also noted if I edit my listing, when I go to my review page, it tells me the PayPal address listed for payment is not valid or active - even though that PayPal address has been fine for 15 years.

My thoughts.  Over the last week eBay was hacked and late last night / early this morning, there was a massive data breech and hack in which accounts were compromised, ebay pages changed and phishing account information started to occur.  Ebay became aware of this, and completely took their login system offline and cut the cord between eBay and PayPal to try and isolate the data breech.  By doing this, it is DECEPTIVE where to many it looks like eBay is up, when in fact a massive data breach has occurred.  Many people can still browse or search but cannot bid, etc.

Please also note, eBay had massive failure on September 3rd.  This was reportedly caused by some "Server Maintenance"

Then on September 11th, it was announced that Mark Carges, eBay's CTO was leaving to attend to "family matters"

Seems more like a white wash, that the May Hack was perhaps more serious, when Carges stepped down the original hackers thought they were detected and decided to take action while their hacks that had been undiscovered were still the same.

Seriously.

Sept 3rd - Unannounced "Server Maintenance" issue where many users accounts appeared to be deleted - Hint Hint - sounds like a system restore from back up.

Sept 11th - CTO Announced leaving for Personal Reasons.

Sept 14th - link between eBay and PayPal cut and users unable to login to ebay.

There are no coincidences, only the appearance of coincidences
by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:27:10 2014
What ebay SHOULD do is extend all auctions that end during this outage by 24 hours. Though not a perfect solution, it's still far better than allowing them to end w/out bidders having the ability to actually bid.
by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:27:45 2014
@ Maui5150
eBay and PayPal use xml files to associate your email to your accounts. Any time a server is down, the xml file cannot make the association. This happens on a pretty frequent basis even when the site is ''up'' (like when PayPal Multi Order Shipping won't import orders correctly). It's BS that it happens at all, but I don't think it is an indication, by itself, that the site has been hacked.
Personally, I won't be editing any listings or making any changes while parts of the site are down. It is just too risky because any non functioning server will likely cause an error in my listings, or make them invisible. I'll be patient. It's all I can do to minimize the damage.
by: Woden2 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:34:45 2014
Well, eBay has been down for quite some time here in California. On Firefox, I am only occasionally able to see eBay, but cannot log on, place a bid, etc. On Internet Explorer, it is easier to get on to the site, but again, no bidding allowed, etc. I also cannot post a message on the community boards.
   My sniping service (Gixen) also cannot help.  I loaded a snipe yesterday for a camera lens for $621.00.  The item sold for $522.00, and I know that it normally (even without my bid) would have sold for substantially more. So - seller's are losing out here.  Mind you, I did see bids trickling in when I was monitoring it in real time, so some people, somewhere, are able to get in - but not many.  Moreover, at the 5-9 second mark before the close of the auction (typically when people using snipe engines bid), I saw no change.  So, I would guess that most folks are locked out.
 I have to confess to irritation that eBay did not even acknowledge an issue until very late, and then it used the blandest, least informative and most minimizing language possible.  Here it is:
We’re actively investigating a technical issue that is impacting eBay for some users. We understand that this issue has also resulted in some customers having difficulty contacting our customer service teams.  We are working to fix the issue now and apologize for any inconvenience. - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/#sthash.PWWzC7SZ.dpuf

Does not say a damn thing, does it.  Pretty pathetic, eBay!

by: yesmikan This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:37:04 2014
Several functions seem to be working for me again now. I can bring up item listings and order histories.
This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Sun Sep 14 10:37:19 2014
David Steiner you made my morning with your art.

I now have a new screen saver on my lap top.

I wish that you would sell limited prints.
by: LongCoolLady This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:38:30 2014
I had my "My eBay" page open from a previous session in FireFox and I can move around within my stuff but can't get anywhere else on the site.

Very frustrating and expensive with dozens of auctions ending this morning.
by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 10:39:51 2014
Put the hamster back on the wheel- LOL- a HOOT!

Put a new rubber band on the flim-flam thing!

Put a new battery in and tighten the cover up!

Is it GROUNDED?

Did you re-boot it?

Slap it hard with your hand JD, that might get it back on.

Hit the circuit breaker and turn it back on, that might make it work.

Is there a phone number on it JD? Maybe there is a 1-800 number on the BACK of it it and you can call and get it back on.

Maybe if Mark Carges is not busy with his "family member" (or mad) you can call him at home and he can help you get it back on.

And my favorite: JD, maybe YOU NEED TO RESET YOUR BROWSER.

Mass Howler
PS: Everything APPEARS to be working on our end, we have no idea why YOU have no sales ebay.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]