728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Forums
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 14 2014 07:02:28

eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Reports are flooding in that eBay is down, estimated to be the twelfth major outage eBay has experienced this year. The website IsItDownRighNow confirms problems with the site.

Wrote one EcommerceBytes reader: "Can't log into eBay. Not with any account on any browser. One comedy screen told me it was my browser settings."

Other readers reported the problem on Ecommerce EKG. "eBay main page will not load on Firefox or Google Chrome @ 6:50am EST. Can get to the community boards, but still can't get to or log into my eBay account."

And users reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards, such as a thread titled, "Anyone else having sign in issues to eBay itself?" where a user wrote: "It's suddenly either just spinning on the sign in page on FF and on IE it won't even bring up the sign in page."

It's been a tough year for eBay Marketplaces with a security breach in February and March and major site accessibility issues. On top of that, eBay's Chief Technology Officer Mark Carges has just stepped down to focus on a family matter.

Please let us know if you're having problems by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board and leaving a message in the comments below.

Update 9/14/14 10:39 pm EST: eBay is blaming the problem on "unexpected power issues with storage arrays linked to some of our databases," see Monday's Newsflash story for more on the latest from the VP of eBay's Global Platform & Infrastructure Group Sri Shivananda.

Reading EcommerceBytes Blog: eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year

Perminate Link for eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year   eBay Down: Twelfth Outage of the Year
by: Kaz This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:17:26 2014
Anyone else remembering the recent "unannounced" change to the ebaY outage policy, no more than a few weeks ago?
Maybe ebaY know the site is failing and will continue to be unreliable.

by: AuntyQ This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:21:50 2014
eBay is down here (Firefox and Chrome).  I cannot list or revise listings with Turbolister.

Can we please give eBay a defect for site stability?
by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:24:34 2014
FINALLY got through to Customer Dis-service"

It's GLOBAL this time. Although I had a customer in Indiana ask a question....
This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Sep 14 09:26:18 2014
10:15am EST -

Tried to check ''glitch'' account's status, got ''connection was reset'' message in trying to get on eBay.com.   So, didn't even make it to the eBay site.

I'm on east coast, as people wake up it will probably get worse as people keep checking.
by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:30:23 2014
@ Ephemera Dealer
I get that banner on about a third of my listings. It started about 2 months ago. Somehow, another glitch changed the package type for the listings it happened on to ''Letter'' I started revising a few to the correct it, but since there is no way to search for it, and it happens randomly, I gave up and now I ignore it.
This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Sun Sep 14 09:31:06 2014
Cannot bid, search, get to my ebay, watch anything, etc. Pitiful.... Fire these morons. Sellers, I'm so sorry this keeps happening. I and others want to buy, but no go.
by: Ephemera Dealer This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:33:58 2014
XebayX, ah, thanks for that info, I do appreciate it. I ignored it and the label printed just fine. Spending my time working on Etsy items today.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Sep 14 09:34:36 2014
eBay issued tweet at 10:05 am EST:

"We are investigating reports that eBay is intermittently unavailable or slow and we apologize for any inconvenience caused."

Still nothing on the Announcement Board, and no reply to my phone and email inquiries to PR.
by: CatherineMcClarey This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:36:06 2014
Ephemera Dealer, I had already set my maximum bid on that one auction at the highest price I wanted to pay for the item, so I had wanted to look for similar auctions instead.
 Normally, I can at least get to the eBay home page or view a specific auction without having to sign in again first, but I kept getting sent to the sign-in page regardless of the link into the eBay site I was trying.  Just checked again (at about 9:15AM CDT), and now I'm not even getting the eBay sign-in page -- just a Firefox ''connection reset'' error message, which immediately reloads when I click the ''try again'' button (earlier, Firefox had attempted to re-access eBay for several minutes before loading either the eBay sign-in page or another ''connection reset'' message).
by: erratic*attic This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:36:08 2014
I can still get to the community page, but can't log in.

I went to the ''Announcements'' page...gee whiz, not a thing about the world wide outage. As Gomer Pyle used to say ''surprise, surprise''
by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:36:33 2014
An update.

I am able to get to myEbay through i.e. and I am able to relist of schedule through the links on the right of my unsold items.

I am, however, unable to view any items, i.e. if I go to my listed item that has closed to try and relist from there, I get the login page and then that will fail.

From my other computer I can see listings that I have bookmarked, which gives impression the site is up, but I can also see I am not logged in.  If I try and add to my watch list, bid, make offer, etc., anything that requires a sign in, that immediately failed.

Looking to me that eBay was seriously hacked, they have taken the user accounts OFFLINE and depending on what your cached login state is, some people will be able to search, view items, etc., even like me be able to relist from their MyEbay page, but if you need to login, that system is completely offline and potentially seriously compromised

seriously.  Be Cautious.  Looks like a major hack affecting users accounts.
by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:37:05 2014
I was also able to ''back in''. The issue showed up for me when I was on the sign in page. I was able to hit the back button and I'm still logged in to navigate freely. How many buyers stay logged in all of the time like most sellers do? Probably not as many. My worst sales month in my long eBay history.
by: Kaz This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:38:14 2014
Ina, is there no regulatory body that oversees webcommerce to provide consumer protection?
It seems to me that the service ebay currently offers it's paying customers (sellers) falls way short of the user agreement.
by: rawr_rowan This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:38:46 2014
Well I tried to log on to see if someone had contacted me about a costume piece I am commissioning from someone, and well... I got the "No Data Received" page. I WAS NOT EVEN REDIRECTED!

I cant sign in, and I am going to be out of internet for 3 weeks as I will be on a trip. I litterally wont be able to access the internet for those 3 weeks.

I initially tried to get on this morning at 6:15AM (California time), and still cant get on.
So what, now the seller has to think "oh, ok, this person is not interested..." And NOT make my costume? I am an actor at a Renaissance Faire, and that costume was JUST FOR the faire, now I am in danger of being yanked from my position all because EBay cant get their crap together?

I mean does this stem from the IPhone 6 hawkers? if so... thanks guys for screwing it up for the rest of us.
by: erratic*attic This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:41:17 2014
@ Ina...thank you so much for keeping us informed.
I'm sure you would have liked to do something else on your Sunday morning, but here you are, and I appreciate it. :)
by: viewer67 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:41:32 2014
About an hour ago, I clicked my tab to view my active listings page on ebay and I got redirected to sign in.  I have this page bookmarked for years and never never does it redirected me to anything.  I didn't log in since my guess is someone wants my username and password.  Mecosta, MI.
by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:41:40 2014
@XebayX - try doing ANYTHING that requires you to login  - I can see listings, search, etc but the minute I try to do anything that requires a login, dead in the water.
by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:45:22 2014
Evidently not enough people of screaming about this or plain don't know where to go or whom to ask about this current outage.

Ebay doesn't seem to be especially accountable for anything they do.  My guess is that if enough of their favored big box sellers lose money because of this, THEN they'll take an interest.

Of course, if you are NOT such seller (or buyer for that matter), you will probably never know what the really caused today's mess.  I sincerely hope it's not another hack but it wouldn't surprise me.

The only way eBay will ever change is if it ever gets real competitor and everyone leaves eBay in droves.  People complain but they don't leave.
by: erratic*attic This user has validated their user name.
Sun Sep 14 09:46:40 2014
gomer pyle surprise surprise surprise
by: Mamashmotek This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 14 09:53:49 2014
Can't sign in. Or all auction posts have lost descriptions.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  [Next Page]