Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Mar 31 2014 13:30:11

eBay Fails to Honor Coupons It Gave Buyers

eBay sent $10 coupons to shoppers over the past few days, but buyers say eBay is not honoring the coupons. (And no, it's not April Fool's Day just yet.) Buyers trying to redeem the coupons are frustrated that they are unable to redeem the coupons for their purchases. EcommerceBytes readers described the problem on the Ecommerce EKG board.

Some coupon holders discussing the problem on the eBay boards said they were deferring purchases until the coupon would work but, as one buyer said, were afraid someone else would purchase the item before they had a chance to: "I just got transferred to 3 different people in India, they are aware of the problem, but they are not guaranteeing it will be fixed in the next few hours. This stinks because I was purchasing a BIN with the coupon, but it wasn't working. Someone may end up getting the item, and I'll be out of luck."

In that case, the eBay customer service rep told her to contact the seller - despite the fact it would appear sellers would have no way to fix eBay's glitch. (This is a case of eBay CSR compounding problems for sellers - what are sellers supposed to tell these unhappy buyers?)

Other buyers were upset because they had purchased an item and were unable to redeem the coupon to help pay for the purchase: "Yes, I am having the same problem and a little peeved right now...considering I counted on it for the purchase I just made."

Another buyer said customer service told him "this may or may not get fixed.... waste more time by contacting your seller and ask them if you can have more time to pay and then keep trying every day to see if it will work, they are sorry but they can not give me another coupon code because..... GET THIS.... they are running out of funds to give out discounts!!!! Oh my God if I treated my customers like this...."

An EcommerceBytes reader described the problem in a letter to the editor, also reporting that an eBay customer service rep said eBay had run out of money to fund the coupon campaign:

Thought you would like this one. On 3/28, eBay sent me an email stating that I have a $10 coupon. Apparently I sold an item during a promo period and won the coupon. Great!!

Well, today, 3/31, I attempted to use the coupon on an eBay purchase and received an error message stating that the coupon was invalid. I then contacted an eBay Customer Service representative and told her about the issue. The answer I received was very interesting, to say the least.

Apparently Customer Service was made aware of the issue concerning these coupons on 3/29. The problem is that more people were opted into this promo than was originally thought, and the budget for these coupons has already been depleted.

Therefore the coupons will no longer work until the budget team can get more money into the coupon account. They are currently working on this, but don't know when the coupons will be reactivated. Meanwhile, my coupon expires on 04/06.  I was told to keep trying from time to time to see if it goes through.
Gotta love eBay and their 5-Star Service!!!
Bob

On Monday morning, an eBay moderator went into the discussion board and asked, "Can someone please send me an example of the coupon so I can help troubleshoot this?"

We've got a question in to eBay to find out the cause of the problem and whether eBay has plans to help pacify shoppers who had a bad buying experience as a result of its coupon redemption problem.
Reading EcommerceBytes Blog: eBay Fails to Honor Coupons It Gave Buyers

Perminate Link for eBay Fails to Honor Coupons It Gave Buyers   eBay Fails to Honor Coupons It Gave Buyers
This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Wed Apr 2 00:33:20 2014
Hey... eBay just sent me a REPLACEMENT COUPON according to an email I just got!!!  Guess I'll try it and see if it works!
This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Wed Apr 2 01:22:23 2014
The replacement coupon worked!!!  AMAZING!!!
by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 02:52:54 2014
(You earned that coupon Windsorbear and I am glad it finally worked brother).
MH
PS Ebay: Customers deserve BETTER.
by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 11:05:12 2014
who got coupons?!  I saw none!

I foresee sellers getting low FB for not "honoring" eBay's fraudulent coupon.

I foresee buyers renegging on purchases on which they'd expected the discount & abandoning the item instead of paying for it!

I foresee eBay execs blaming both parties and laughing all the way to the bank with the money from those who felt obligated to pay for their purchases in spite of the fact that the coupon was a farce!

I foresee these ass-claps patting each other on the back for tricking people into making unplanned purchases!

I foresee these ass-claps being allowed to run this site into the ground while they continue scamming both sellers and buyers!
by: racecarguy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 11:26:09 2014
Just got my replacement coupon. Hope it works.
by: racecarguy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 11:30:17 2014
Well, it didn't work.

It went through on eBay, but PayPal rejected the payment. Error code: 70266 10004

I'll try again. Good through date is extended to 4/10.
by: Ocee This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 18:24:18 2014
When you put the coupon story next to the Spring Seller Update, I think it is fair to ask this question:

If eBay sold product (as Amazon does), could they come close to meeting the standards that they are setting for sellers? Based on their history, I don't think they could come close.

Rather than ''do as I say'', how about some ''show me'' for a change.
by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 00:10:01 2014
Crazy. If they can't handle the simple programming of a lousy coupon code, what else isn't working properly?
by: Cassie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 00:30:21 2014
eBay needs to clear they matter with coupon fiasco again the still per permit illegal sales of coupons as per The Coupon Information Corporation -coupon fraud can cost them $200,000 penalty up maximum $5 million... 3-5 years prison or max 17 years and over viewed by regulations:
Federal Trade Commissions
Federal Bureau Investigation
Internal Revenue Service
U.S. Postal Service

I don't understand all the sales they permit manufacturer coupons they're not charged enabling their are listings going back years surly they've hit the $5 million mark for years unless they've been fraud and not admit user accounts compromised  ....as found various fake buyer accounts!
And all the Target Store Coupons sold if were CEO Target would sue eBay in consideration their losses data breech .....everyone knows they're free but restricted one per household those agreements are as contracts surely violation retail, trades and sales agreements (local, state & federal) if any fake sold ---ahem, confused accessory federal penalties hit twice or more if sales occur once (sale and mail potential third charges if duplicates....heck know high school dropout single mom's know more about coupons are any their staff mildly educated past Sponge Bob Square Pants??? It seems every action they're taking is costing them money, money and seem as toddlers over run the parent ''sellers'' that are running the show.......eh I feel as flashback all the corporations 100 year+ old on my resume all extinct over loss 1 minute solutions that still tank our economy.

I'm alarmed the U.S 30 years ago when I first entered work this past February dominated Top 100 Global Corporations & or Foreign entities with U.S. Nationality by 80% and turned over more new businesses especially developed several new technologies then any nation.

Today, We've fallen the global sector under 12% and new business really under 7%, and Technology index today 2% all U.S.A. the rest import or abroad. Though corporations then was 60% and small business 40% now the shift small is 64%, Corporate accounts 23% and the rest free 8% lance semi retired small mid firms established 30+ rears wanting to retire or sell with no buyers.. already lost 4% as owners died with no buyers or securing continued operations. The only great paying jobs last offered me was all overseas 10 years ago moving with my old employers abroad till they merged, liquidated in bits or Petered out existence. Is anyone concerned their will be an adequate job market or business opportunity growth?

Average all new foreign entering or foreign entity leave in 8-10 years around time patents expire but still marketable liquid exit strategy unless large corporation such as Toyota?

It seems that eBay is mad rush leave U.S. with Alibaba futures strategy outpacing (our top 3 eBay, Amazon & etsy)independent ...Omg the treat new sellers as royalty have a long held tango account they're courting start-ups and business
by: BubbleRobin This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 10:40:15 2014
We got a coupon and successfully used it - no problem.  But a customer tried to use his coupon to  purchase something from us.  We got a very angry e-mail berating us for not "accepting" his eBay coupon.  This buyer wanted to cancel his order and said he would never purchase from us again because "we" tried to trick him.  He did eventually pay for his order but this little eBay "snafu" took up a lot of our time and likely cost us a customer.  Not good, eBay.
This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Apr 3 14:12:42 2014
" eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore told EcommerceBytes on Wednesday, "Some customers may have experienced difficulty redeeming an eBay Coupon that was issued to them in past few days."

Another prime example of a corporation not say $*** if it had a mouthful.
This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen
Thu Apr 3 16:36:00 2014
Needless to say, you can always tell when an eBay or "PreyPal" spokesperson is being disingenuous—their lips are moving ... http://bit.ly/YvxFEg
1 2 3