Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Dec 2 2012 21:59:09

Are Online Sellers Using Mobile Devices to Shop?

There's a lot of mobile shopping going on this holiday season. PayPal saw a 166 percent increase in number of customers shopping with mobile devices on Cyber Monday 2012 compared to last year. IBM Smarter Commerce found that over 18 percent of consumers used a mobile device to visit a retailer on Cyber Monday.

While mobile shopping includes the equivalent of "window shopping" - looking but not buying, more people are actually purchasing physical goods on their smartphones and tablets this holiday season.

Many merchants have optimized their sites for mobile shoppers and have launched mobile apps, but we wondered if people who sell online are shopping via mobile devices.

We've put together a survey to learn more about the mobile-shopping habits of sellers. Let us know if you own a smartphone, tablet or e-book reader; and if you do, tell us if you use it to buy and sell online.

Please take a few moments to take the EcommerceBytes Survey on Mobile Shopping, and we'll share the results in a future issue.
Reading EcommerceBytes Blog: Are Online Sellers Using Mobile Devices to Shop?

Perminate Link for Are Online Sellers Using Mobile Devices to Shop?   Are Online Sellers Using Mobile Devices to Shop?
by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 2 23:57:07 2012
I would buy on a tablet but not a smart phone the photos really are not big enough to see defects in used items
I also wonder if that has led to some low DSR's as it takes longer to view all photo's and see shipping cost
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Dec 3 00:06:49 2012
I would never make a purchase using my smart phone. I have a hard enough time typing a text message; I can just imagine accidentally ordering 50 of something because I hit the wrong keys. I am planning to get a tablet in 2013 and might consider that for making purchases. But I much prefer my computer with a standard keyboard that I have more control over.
This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Dec 3 08:32:37 2012
I have used my phone to make a purchase or two without problem.

I've used it in selling to end an item while I was away for the day. I had received an email about a problem in my listing description, I was able to end it so that I could revise it later. At the time, it seemed kind of hard to find, but ''end item'' is there.

Once, at a busy airport I tried to relist ended items from my phone, but that was a few years ago. It seemed too hard and insecure, so I stopped after a couple.

One thing I noticed recently when relisting an item from my phone, item was on sale when it ended, relisted it from my phone, it re-listed it at the sale price, not the regular price.
by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 3 10:07:59 2012
I own no mobile devices for shopping.
by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 3 13:38:23 2012
I've used my tablet to relist auctions but never bought anything with it.
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 02:14:54 2012
Laptop
Tablet
Smart phone

Line 'em up and pretend you are buying the SAME item on all three (plus whatever other device you might have hanging about the place)

There are serious differences between the views; the amount and kind of info that is available and can be SEEN;  the available search features; and the ability to key in the needed info.

I was SHOCKED when we lined up an android phone; a Kindle Fire and my ancient but functional laptop (that I do ALL of my listing and 99% of my buying on).  The info was COMPLETELY different on all three.  Gave me a whole new understanding of WHY people using these esp the smart phones are MISSING key pieces of info----they are simply NOT VISIBLE.  And since some of these mostly younger buyers might never have SEEN what ebay or Amazon etc even LOOKS like on a laptop they won't KNOW what they SHOULD be looking for or HOW to find it--and ebay for one is NOT going to HELP them--they are way too busy chasing any kind of "Sale" even if the item is reported as a SNAD because the hapless buyer couldn't GET the info they NEEDED to make a proper purchase.

And this BENEFITS EBAY in oh so many ways---they are padding the sales numbers with this system to make Wall Street feel that they are growing and sheshul.  "A sale is a sale is a sale" is ebays NEW mantra---even when it ISN'T a completed or a retained sale AT ALL.

The Emperor really does NOT have any clothes.
by: bitbybit This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 04:19:18 2012
Paypal is Wall Streets little darling. JD could care less about the marketplace other than shuffling the numbers around. Oh he does love his mobile which is attached to him at all times.

I really don't see how anyone can make purchases using a mobile device unless they absolutely know what they are looking for and go straight away to it. Too small in my opinion and not good for browsing, selling or researching.

Now a tablet I can see being used for shopping but much rather use a laptop to actually know what I am buying.
by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 16:09:11 2012
Nope, not enough info on a ''smartphone'' and ebay cannot get it together- EVER.
Please buyers do view our full listings on a regular computer before you bid! They want us to WRITE FULL AND COMPLETE DESCRIPTIONS, THEN THEY DEVELOP A PROCESS WHERE THAT DESCRIPTION IS NOT SHOWN-
Frigging genuius that JD is!
This site is OVER and this ''stock'' will take a HUGE NOSEDIVE right after the holidays.
There have simply been too many glitches to do a good business this year and if the diamonds and ebay reports a GAIN we KNOW that small sellers have beyond a doubt been SCREWED.
They KNEW that this was going to be a terrible season for EXPOSURE and that, along with a big screwing that is in our NEAR future, is why they sent out the opt out of class action notices.
I wrote Ina weeks ago, reminding her that ebay ALWAYS SCREWS US SMALL SELLERS a week or so before Christmas so HOLD ON EVERYBODY. For Christmas we sellers always get 1 specific load of CRAP from JD and the plan must be SO BAD this year that they thought it would be wise to have all sellers sign their rights away- a rumor says that whatever it is will be tempered with removing the dsrs ''as we now know them'' so there must be a BIG NEGATIVE coming in policy to offset that change. It is their way and wise sellers have come to EXPECT it- great ''partners'' this sham company is!
Thanks for the MULTITUDES of UNSOLDS JD!
Mass Howler
by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 18:07:49 2012
Actually, FORCED 30 day returns is PROBABLY the trade-off, or that AND something worse.
We will see.