Thu Aug 31 2017 11:23:04

Etsy Kicks Off Its First Labor Day Sale

Etsy is trying something new - it's holding its first Labor Day Sale that kicked off today and runs through Monday - you can visit the temporary sale page and browse items that are discounted between 10% and 60% off. You can also search and filter items on the page by category and price point.

Etsy is driving traffic to the special Sale page through marketing emails, site banners, social media, and a banner on its homepage. Here's the message at the top of the page:

Shop our first-ever sale for Labor Day.
Feel good about saving. Feel even better about supporting Etsy sellers.
See listings for terms and end dates

In addition to a gallery of listings on sale, Etsy shows a few seller spotlights and a message that says, "Finally, a sale without waving inflatable tube people."

Earlier this month Etsy explained how sellers could participate using some new promotional features making it easier for them to put items on sale.

This is a good way for Etsy - and sellers - to test the new features and marketing approach to work out any kinks before the holiday shopping season, when Etsy is likely to try these kinds of sales again.

Keep us apprised of how the marketing campaign is going for you, and if you will be participating in future sales on Etsy.

Etsy Kicks Off Its First Labor Day Sale   Etsy Kicks Off Its First Labor Day Sale

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Aug 31 15:17:05 2017

I haven't raised prices since 2008, so I won't be participating....

This user has validated their user name. by: Castoman

Thu Aug 31 15:58:01 2017

I'd think about doing a discount on my items during certain times like these IF they had a way when you click to see SALES page to be able to search just those that were on SALE.  I went to the sale page and did a search and it just returned everything as normal.  Seemed to me like you could only BROWSE the stuff on sale.....very hard to find something you're looking for that way.  I may have overlooked something (wouldn't be the first time).

by: Writings on the Wall This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 1 00:17:17 2017

Well, the Etsy forums are a-buzz because sellers are trying to turn off their sales promotion for all kinds of reasons. I guess it's not working as intended (surprise!). They are reporting that they can't turn the promotion off (as they had been able to so previously).  The suspicion is that Etsy turned the "end sale" button off!

by: Writings on the Wall This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 1 13:10:32 2017

Actually, when I visit any website, and there is a sale on some items, I always assume it's items that don't sell well ("the left-overs") so I don't even look there.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Sep 3 07:38:47 2017

3 views an hour average.
No Sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Sep 3 11:51:51 2017

ETSY : The Stats are completely USELESS, USELESS, USELESS, ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
NOTHING MAKES ANY SENSE ! ! ! ! !

by: dmg61 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 3 21:51:38 2017

I sell supplies (gemstones, gem beads) on Etsy and I don't do sales. I give good customers a discount code. But never general sales.

I have still had a couple of sales this weekend regardless. I don't think much is changing.......But if the hype brings me new customers without a discount...well happy me.

by: ck This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 00:01:50 2017

I have had lots of sales during the Etsy promotion (about double the average) and I am offering a 10% discount. I can't say for sure if it is because of the Etsy sale but I am not complaining!

by: Etsy Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 00:39:51 2017

Not one view, even though my bill was paid ahead of the 1st.
I swear that Etsy turns off servers every so often, because I get views like crazy for three or four days, then nothing for at least a week ( and usually ten days ), then many views again, then nothing and on and on.
Trying to read the stats means nothing when there is nothing to see.
They said no more experiments and then they want us to do a Labor Day sale? pfft!

by: betsys.bijoux This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 01:00:42 2017

The sale was a debacle for vintage sellers - the category wasn't even listed.  Then the first ten pages were clumps from the same sellers despite the large number of shops participating.  There also is no search feature so the look for vintage brooches a customer would have to scroll hundreds of pages of misc, just made, non-vintage jewelry.  Oh - there were special boxes spotlighting chosen sellers, none of whom had any sales of discounts.

Then the nitty-gritty - it is not a dynamic service.  If you add anything to the sale the only way to get it to show with the sales price is the end the current sale and start a new one.  I swear, high school programmers could have done better.  My advice - get the Etsy on Sale app and use it - a mush better, independent service.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 01:13:22 2017

my items are handmade. by hand. by me. How am I supposed to drop prices by 60%? Deep discount sales only work for people who are just reselling cheaply made mass produced goods.

by: Transferware Odds and Ends This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 07:14:24 2017

A big Joke as most of their ideas. First off Id like to say, I tried the Etsy on Sale, the first day it came out, a number of my listings were missing the sale price, a buyer told me, I had to go in and discount physically for her., I then shut the whole sale off, (thank god I was able to) and put my own sale on thru a Third Party Site, that puts things on sale for you thru Etsy, (for a small fee, or credits that you buy) I had a ton of credits left from when I bought into it several years back, Cheap, I might add.....so why not use them now. This provide my buyers with my sales in my shop and it works without any problems. (think Ill run my sale thru Christmas)
SECONDLY, when you use "Etsys", Sales and Coupons section, you cant add any New Listings to the Sale???, how stupid, so what are you supposed to do, wait until the sale is over to add new items? They never thought this through, rather, Lets just throw something out their to shut up all the winers., well us winer's have a reason to whine, with Continuing NO Sales and Lame ideas being thrown out there.......................
LASTLY: They only Promoted the Sale thru Facebook, Twitter and Emails, Not everyone subscribes to Etsy, DUH?, so how is that gonna bring in New buyers???Social Media, A Joke, Seriously, No One buys from Facebook, I've promoted to facebook for years and not one sale from it., just noisey people looking, Its the cheapest way out, THEY NEED TO SPEND SOME MONEY ON ADVERTISING THRU GOGGLE AND TV, HELLO!!
It will never change, the Greedy get rich and the poor get poorer.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 08:13:47 2017

TOE- you are so right.  The app I think you refer to is Etsy On Sale or EOS.  It is extremely cheap and their HUMAN support is fantastic.

With EOS you have complete control over your sale.  You can start and stop literally at whatever hour of the day you want to.  You can pick what items you want or do your whole store.  YOu can name your sale whatever you want and basically, Etsy has no control over it.

If there are any problems, the EOS people will get back to you right away and help you fix them.

I highly recommend EOS, not just for holidays but for all year round.  Also- you decide the terms of your sale, whether fixed discount or percentage.  It's very very easy to do, even for me.

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 09:45:27 2017

As usual, ill-thought-out ... I don't know where they're getting their 'brainers' or their 'techs' but NOTHING ever does what its supposed to do.

Rarely benefits anyone except the Etsy employees to prove they're doing something.

Garbage stuff for sale that you can buy in a hundred different places --- scripted lettering on everything and NOT VINTAGE.

No search function - who in the hell is going to scroll this that stuff to find anything.

Honestly, they need to hire some seasoned e-commerce people to thing things through and to execute.

Amateur hour AGAIN

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 09:46:29 2017

omgosh - so many typos and no edit function - sorry about that

by: just passign through This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 17:17:57 2017

I remain amazed that all etsy employees from the CEO on down are not COMPLETELY EMBARRASSED with the fact that they simply can't roll out anything that isn't a total disaster...ffs

The bugs forum is constantly busy with issues that should never happen in the first place.

Honestly, they clearly think being inept is a virtue.

It is beyond understanding. They need to fire everyone and start over. What a bunch of incompetent nitwits.