Thu June 29 2017 20:15:32

Etsy Surveys Sellers on New Services and Fees

Etsy sent a survey to sellers on Thursday asking them for their input on a range of issues. Included was a section asking for which expanded services sellers would be willing to pay extra fees, such as 24/7 support line.

Not surprisingly sellers were not thrilled about the idea of paying extra fees. Some said the services suggested should be included in the fees they already pay Etsy.

One seller said they would consider paying to use Etsy shipping for non-Etsy orders.

Another seller said it would be fair for Etsy to raise prices since they themselves have raised prices since they first began selling on the marketplace.

And another seller who received the survey was upset because all the questions were about her "creative business" and how she runs it - but she sells vintage goods, not handmade items. "Wish they would understand that it's "incredibly important" to us sellers of vintage goods that we stopped getting overlooked in Etsy's marketing and support."

What added services would you like to see Etsy offer, and for which of those would you be willing to pay extra fees?

Etsy Surveys Sellers on New Services and Fees   Etsy Surveys Sellers on New Services and Fees

by: futervest This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 29 20:29:57 2017

Final value fees only.  When you start adding extra fees the ones that don't pay for them get left behind. That's the way it is on every market venue. They get greedy start loosing sellers Next thing you know they follow eBay's footsteps.

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 30 07:07:26 2017

Etsy wants more $/fees. Fine sell more of my stuff and get more FVF. Search is pathetic

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Jun 30 10:03:33 2017

That's right to the point, isn't it?  Sellers want more sales.  End of story.  Most of the "services" that these venues try to push are literally worthless.

Every time I need something, I have to program it myself.

by: Whatev This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 30 22:42:01 2017

"Would you be willing to pay extra for actual customer service and the ability to contact your merchant (Etsy)?   Hahahah!  What a damned joke.  All the while collecting cash for forcing etsy pay.  If people were really thinking they would starve etsy out until they delivered what etsy sellers are paying for and have been for years.  Sadly, they will not, because they are bought into the collective company store, we owe etsy (because they are doing us a favor) mentality!  Pathetic!

by: Whatev This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 30 22:43:54 2017

Etsy paid millions for a new building and catered lunches several times a week in each of their locations.  You (etsy sellers and stock holders) paid for it!  Wake up!

by: Whatev This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 30 22:44:43 2017

They don't even have a damned telephone contact number!

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 1 15:30:01 2017

I am done paying them for make believe services like ads that don't work except for my competitors  who get a free ride from my ads.

The sellers do all the work and heavy lifting.  Etsy owns nothing.  They are brokers and lousy ones at that.

They are not providing anything, not even search or traffic, for all the money I pay them now.

Screw Etsy.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 1 21:02:15 2017

Etsy has a lot of problems, but my revenue from the site is still far ahead of last year. I should surpass my 2016 Etsy revenue next month, if not this month!

If they would fix search, go back to true relevancy in search results, stop rotating shops with blackouts AND stop testing on the live site, I'd consider paying a slightly higher FVF, say 5% (compared to the current 3.5%).

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sun Jul 2 10:22:11 2017

LOL the letter was simply a warning to let the sellers know what is coming SOON ..August is my guess... next Month! :-)

I do find it comical. We all knew this was the next step. I see a fee structure based around the pattern shop first. $15 required for everyone. Search? nothing has been done to search.. because they only intend to tweak it more so they can control who makes sales and who does not. The new Power players in the Stock is Chinese oriented investors... start with Tiger Global. Factory assisted will be king on Etsy.. all others will be the suckers that pay the bills and most will get nothing in return. We saw this coming.. August will be the announcement :-)

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sun Jul 2 10:24:10 2017

to add fees? expect:

7-9% FVF
all required to have pattern

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 2 11:07:19 2017

These middle men sites do not even do the one thing you are actually pay8ng them to do and that's get your product seen.

This is what basic fees cover and they have the nerve to start address programs to get your items seen in top of that?

The reason people wemt to etsy ebay etc is because of the millions of eyes and shoppers..not for any stupid programs.

The eyes may be there but the venues have no worry about actually showing those eyes your stuff..thus they fail at the most basic task.

They are utter failures.

Amazon is a good examplease of getting good your stuff seen..I mean they have loads of problems but sales will rarely be an issue.

The conpany i work for EBay sales a year barely scratching 400k to 600k a year. Amazon sales 40 MILLION a year.

My personal experience..I rarely got etsy sales. It's pay to post there so I was paying to to not do anything.

I no longer deal with etsy.

by: Interesting Antiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 00:57:55 2017

There is a small start up site: Artyah.com The difference is the owners are ex ebay sellers and etsy, so they seem to hear the sellers.
Its very cheap to list and looks like they are working hard. I'll be listing and giving it a chance , way different from other start up sites.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 02:05:59 2017

We are also trying to help Etsy sellers come to eCRATER with their handmade goods. Some of us regular sellers are pushing this and hoping that we can get many new business on eCRATER, where we work together to make it the best site possible to sell on. I'm pretty sure the eCRATER team isn't getting catered lunches unless it is delivered pizza.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 08:57:41 2017

There are some interesting articles in SA about Etsy.   The comments from the financial people who buy and sell the stock, are worth reading.

They are all looking to make  a lot of money when Etsy sells the company.  They don't care about revenue or anything else.

There are people who stand to make a fortune from the sale of Etsy, Inc.   I'm sure many of them own stock already.

Nobody cares about the sellers and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 09:50:09 2017

Ever since this last glitch and lack of sales I have run across etsians saying in their forum that they would be willing to pay a shop subscription or extra fees to get more sales and better visibility. I had commented as a response that I would not support paying more as etsy makes it difficult to actually make a living selling on their platform. Why on earth would you want to pay more if you cannot make enough to support yourself; it would just make it even harder! I am sure there's some sellers that can make a living there but the majority cannot because etsy is so unpredictable; constantly testing and affecting sales. There's no way I want to be paying them more I already pay almost $600 a month in fees just for one shop and I have two shops, and still can't support myself. I get a good run of sales and then bam! everything's dead for who knows how long! No more sales coming in and yet etsy still expects you to be able to pay the $600...So, whatever I did make has to pay my bill with nothing extra because sales stopped. I feel etsy should reduce fees when they run their experiments and affect peoples sales. I feel etsy should NOT charge anything more as they already charge plenty; I don't need another eBay that charges you to death and takes almost your entire profit margin. I also feel they should provide better customer service and provide an actual phone number like a real business that we can call and get through too without an additional cost, since when does a business raise their prices to add better customer service? I thought that was just a given? How would my customers feel if I said I am going to charge you more to provide better customer service? Would I get more business? If etsy charges more it will just be because of greed and just looking for more reasons and excuses to try to make more money. I really wish they would stop all of their experiments and bring back the increased sales that I just had. I don't think etsy has earned a raise yet! But I sure have and I am still waiting!

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon Jul 3 10:21:22 2017

Reasons to charge more:

1- they can
2- to weed out the tiny sellers
3-to pay for Chad and his stupidity-millions in severance packages ($10+ million? to all fired
4-As wheels said.. to please the stock market and jump the stock price to at least double

any chance this price increase will not happen and very soon?

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon Jul 3 10:23:55 2017

the good news is... we can all go sell elsewhere

and realize we supported Etsy and the pigs that run it and did not revolt, unionize or do anything negative and watched them stomp us into the mud as they got richer off our pain.

by: Twiganne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 14:35:14 2017

Thanks for the heads up on the new seller channel Artyah. I set up an account and it looks like it will be great once it gets regular customers to the site.  Just like Etsy used to be but on .10 to list and still lower final value fees.  Unlike Bonanza and some of the others the pics upload great too.  Here's to success before they get greedy.  I hope they learned from Etsy's mistakes.

by: Interesting Antiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 15:59:39 2017

artyah, seems to have that nice old feeling of the early ebay and etsy. And the owners are VERY caring, having been  on ebay for years and etsy and getting disgusted with how sellers are treated.
Not only Etsy sellers but customers too are getting frustrated, I plan directing them to artyah.com

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 3 22:40:32 2017

Although these should all be included and the idea that Etsy is asking us for things we have begged for for years is disgusting, I would pay for 24/7 phone service but only from someone knowledgeable not just any answering service.