Tue June 20 2017 22:07:27

New Post Office Kiosks Provide Proof of Shipping

Getting packages scanned is vital to online sellers who need proof for customers showing their item is on the way.

We reported last year that the USPS was testing a new system designed to make it easier for sellers to get an initial scan on packages entering the mail stream. It's an important issue for sellers who feel pressure to let marketplaces like eBay as well as buyers know the moment their packages enter the mail stream.

The USPS published more information this week. "The Automated Parcel Drop (APD) is a self-service machine that allows customers to mail pre-paid and merchandise return parcels. Customers scan the package's pre-paid label barcode at the APD, deposit the package through its door and collect a paper receipt with acceptance scan date, time and tracking information."

The Postal Service said the APD kiosks accept parcels with PC Postage online labels including eBay and Click-N-Ship, merchandise return labels, and self-service kiosk labels.

The machines are being tested in five retail lobbies in California, Florida, New York, North Dakota and Virginia.

While it seems using SCAN forms with pickup would be more efficient for volume shippers, the kiosks could be ideal for sellers who must bring packages to the PO.

New Post Office Kiosks Provide Proof of Shipping   New Post Office Kiosks Provide Proof of Shipping

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 10:22:14 2017

Very cool I like it

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 10:34:11 2017

This is a good idea.  The only concern I would have is are these similar to the current bin type metal drop-box (wherein you put the package in and close the bin and it drops into the postal bin on the other side).  With this type of bin/drop, I have had issues where items get crushed by heavier items falling on top of my already deposited items.  Really no way to prevent this as packages vary in weight.  Maybe if the insert on the new method was on to some type of conveyor that moved the inserted package to a safer ''drop'' zone so as to not get crushed by heavier packages deposited?  Thinking out loud, but anything that can speed up the scanning process is a plus with me.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 11:07:59 2017

Good if it becomes available system wide. But, the existing Kiosks will do just about everything including paying PO Box rent but not accept prepaid labeled, scan ready packages. It would seen to be more feasible to do the programing changes to the existing wide spread kiosks.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 14:30:00 2017

That would be great for me as a low-volume seller.

Won't be subject to the mood of the clerk you happen to get that day, whether or not they feel like printing a receipt - or worse yet, scanning it while you're there!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jun 21 22:02:42 2017

Major improvement for sellers with difficult Post Offices!

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Jun 22 00:32:53 2017

What took so long? Until it hits my state I will continue to drop my high value parcels off at FedEx (much faster and streamlined efficiency unlike any USPS post office I have visited).

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 07:06:32 2017

"While it seems using SCAN forms with pickup would be more efficient for volume shippers...."

The issue with scan forms is that they are only an internal device to ensure the customers indicated quantity of items is picked up on the date ordered. There is no 'tie' to the variant barcodes on each of the included pieces; those still need to be scanned 'for acceptance' individually.  Ideally, the carrier should do that at pickup as well, however route mail volume and time allotments to complete it that day may postpone that for large volume pickups from one stop.

by: Simplyselling This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 07:38:03 2017

I would not use it. I bring In two to three USPS buckets a day an avg of 50-75 pieces. No way I'm standing there scanning anything. The post offices in our area have large bins for pre paid mail. We rarely have a problem with shipments. I don't do pickup either since they would come in the middle of the day before we are ready. Many times if we are done in time I'll drop them off at my local UPS store where I rent a box/address.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 22 08:08:03 2017

It's definitely an improvement, but still a trip to the post office.

Additionally USPS workers who pick-up packages or work at counters should do their jobs and scan every package they pick up. I won't hold my breath on that one.

by: meldog007 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 10:31:16 2017

Does anyone know where the California kiosks are located?

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 14:09:51 2017

Great convenience for sellers who live in large metropolitan areas (AKA: north side of Chicago) with long lines and indifferent customer service at the local post offices.

As for me, I am blessed with a small to medium size community with a post office serviced by knowledgeable, efficient and friendly postal clerks.  Although, this post office recently reduced closing time from 5:30PM to 4:30PM.  Tough on customers who work till 5PM.

My daily visits (now not quite daily visits as eBay sales are in the toilet) are an opportunity to leave my Internet cave of an office and have a minute or two of face time with a friendly postal clerk.  Dropping off prepaid packages to a machine would be efficient but not so friendly.

by: Tracktronics This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 16:02:25 2017

Finally, I remember asking about this two years ago. Can't wait till there's one in my area. :)

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 22 20:23:23 2017

My local carrier picks up my packages daily from my front porch.

But this is long over due. . .

by: Pippy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 21:58:32 2017

Love the idea.  Could be open 24 hours.  I already use the barrel drop for items that I have pre-labeled.  Nice to have the confirmation of mailing.  Wonder if it would forward a shipping note to buyer?  😉

by: StickAForkInIT This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 09:02:55 2017

No Pippy, the APD machines are not connected to the internet.

by: StickAForkInIT This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 09:04:23 2017

I have a friend in CA, who went to the Post Office which has this ADP station.   He said that it worked very efficiently.   It only took 15 seconds to scan a package, get the receipt, and get the item into the slot.

by: StickAForkInIT This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 09:04:42 2017

Another advantage of this APD kiosk system is that a seller can get an acceptance scan after normal Post Office hours.  As long as the scan occurs before midnight PST, the seller will meet their handling time obligation.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 27 03:54:25 2017