Thu June 15 2017 16:40:36

Etsy Misjudged Psychological Effect of Seller Stats

Etsy seriously misjudged the psychological impact of taking away the old Stats feature and replacing it with a new version. As we reported in last week's 411, Etsy revamped its Stats feature, but sellers are giving it a thumb's down.

Not only do sellers say it is less helpful and less timely than the previous version - they say it's discouraging.

It's clear from the comments that many sellers had been addicted to checking their Etsy Shop Stats - it was the first thing they checked each morning, and they checked it throughout the day. Now, the new version is impacting their attitude towards their Etsy shops, and many say they are disheartened.

Here are some comments left by sellers:

"Total disconnect. No updates for 5,5 hours so my shop feels totally dead. No idea what is going on in there."

"I loved seeing who was poking around my shop while I was sleeping, now get up to nothing."

"I don't find it exciting either I used to love seeing where the views were coming from and when it was a new country I used to imagine who it was and why they found my items interesting. It's all very business-like now, which I suppose is the point but the thrill I used to get checking my shop has definitely gone, maybe it will come back when I get used to this way of doing."

"I used to check my store throughout the day & it just made me feel good to see interest from people."

"I've reached the conclusion that Etsy does not understand at all those who are visual scanners. Granted we are likely in the minority but I think many who are creative are visual scanners. So this set of changes would likely be a real turn off to those who are creatives and visual in how they read and remember information. If you are, you understand what I'm saying."

It's clear from reading the feedback about the new Stats that it doesn't satisfy the creative nature of sellers drawn to operating a shop selling handmade or vintage goods.

Studies have found that checking email or social sites can release dopamine, "a neurochemical known as the "reward molecule" that's released after certain human actions or behaviors, such as exercising, or setting and achieving a goal."

Etsy management can choose to ignore the feedback, but it seems science backs up what sellers are saying.

Etsy Misjudged Psychological Effect of Seller Stats   Etsy Misjudged Psychological Effect of Seller Stats

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Thu Jun 15 16:50:11 2017

Etsy management is on heavy doses of dope.

WHAT? They didn't know it would happen?  Yeah, they must not have read the trial results.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jun 15 18:35:02 2017

I'm wondering if the snowflakes really need to check the activity in their stores every hour or so.

It seems like the frequency is a waste of time and counterproductive.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Thu Jun 15 19:04:06 2017

@Ming,

It used to occupy some time, something to do.

After the search fiascos at Etsy AND Ebay, I quit checking except early & late in the day.  Too depressing.

The dopamine left along with the search results.

by: billly This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 15 20:10:14 2017

How does this translate to depressed customers?

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Thu Jun 15 20:38:08 2017

@billy: I said sarcastically:
''Nobody else would ever take away someones dopamine.  WHY would you want all your customers to get depressed.'' (Referring to ETSY'S CUSTOMERS getting depressed, due to the depressing nature of Etsy shop stats).

Etsy's customers are the sellers on Etsy, not the buyers.  I was an Etsy seller.

The buyers are the seller's customers.  The buyers typically have no idea what is going on, and used to receive their Dopamine from a genuine handmade purchase.  (Which is now probably machine made in Asia)

This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage

Thu Jun 15 21:49:56 2017

Referring to the effects of these changes as psychological is interesting...

One person phrased it to me that Etsy sellers are going through the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

This has been quite the year of ''shock and awe'' in rolling out changes on Etsy.

Are we done yet??

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jun 15 23:05:55 2017

It's not "Psychological", it's a basic FACT that I can no longer see how many people are viewing which listings. It used to help me anticipate what materials I will need. 100% of the time, people would buy the listing viewed most within 3 or 4 days. Now I'm forced to guess.
THIS JUST SUCKS. Add this critical metric to the roster, or junk this nightmare and restore the Good Stats.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Jun 16 08:48:15 2017

The Etsy IT dept. is full of morons that are incapable of doing anything correctly. RT=The stats are totally Screwed up. That is the problem.. they do not work.

Buyers of this stock best take heed to as the rest of the stats that Etsy puts out are just as inaccurate and just as screwed up.

Examples:

Seller#, Buyer# are inflated and based on lies.. these two stats are stock market and quarterly report important.

Social media stats- Completely screwed up and not counted as social media traffic but as etsy traffic. Test it yourself. less than 1% of the social media traffic is accredited to FB, Twitter and I assume IG is the same. send some traffic to your page and watct the stats. :-) the system does not count more than a couple t.co (twitter) and other twitter is not counted at all. The same applies to FB traffic send.. maybe a couple are counted.. max. I have tested this extensively. The fact is they either do bot know how (400+ IT Employees) or they want to steal the traffic from these sites and pretend they created it.. not the seller. most site are capable of accounting for this traffic correctly including my websites and our team websites.. just saying it is basic simple programming that any normal programmer can do... except Etsy

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Jun 16 08:52:53 2017

So really the stats mean nothing!

reason being they are inaccurate on purpose ands used to benefit Etsy's image and Etsy's stock reports. They are not there in any way to be truthful and help the sellers. Created to deceive.

by: bookish This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 16 09:10:52 2017

White rabbit,

Are you suggesting that Etsy has bot that click on the ads so they get money?

"BOT TRAFFIC over 50% of the traffic on Etsy is Bot Traffic. A fact and this BOT traffic is clicking on pay per view ads. this bot traffic is also included in the view traffic"

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Jun 16 10:32:20 2017

yes I am suggesting that. If etsy can not discern and list bot traffic from say Russia or china and list it in your views Yanex is Russia Bot by the way then I would expect they are also "unable" to discern when it comes to pay per click.

Unable or intentional is the question? How many threads have you seen on Etsy prior to the stats change to a hidden system... hidden from the sellers...LOL -- how many threads did you see about Chinese companies that are stealing their picture and giving Views... yes Views on the stats from these bugus buyers.. they are BOTS. These bots are obviously clicking on search items also. Even a normal site will have 50% BOT traffic.. imagine what a Juicy site like Etsy has? could be 75% but I bet it is at least the internet average of 50%.

Buyers beware on Paying per click on any site including Google. The Bots change their IP addresses Daily also so almost impossible to block them and many sites like Etsy depend on them to keep the stats up for counting and Ranking sites like Alexa

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Jun 16 10:33:49 2017

Etsy does not need their own Bots.. Their are plenty already that will click on everything :-)

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 16 10:50:16 2017

I agree with Ming, it seems like overkill to be checking on the activity of an Etsy shop hourly.

The problem Etsy faces is that once you get your users hooked on that internet crack, it'll be a struggle to take it away from them!

by: MikeyJoe This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 16 11:34:02 2017

I really have no opinion about how often people check their stats. If they want to check them hourly, it is fine with me. After all, it is their time to spend.
Before etsy booted me and my shops out the door I checked quite regular but I was just checking for sales because I took great pride in shipping items the same day they were purchased if I possibly could.

Before they closed my shops I played with the new stats page and quickly decided that it was WORTHLESS!!
The whole page is the same thing over and over just shown differently.

I have no idea if etsy actually has over 400 programmers but if they do it seems like they are just changing things for job security.
Maybe others like it when things change for no reason but if it isn't an improvement, it is just a waste of time and etsy sure does waste a lot of time.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jun 16 12:22:14 2017

It appears that Etsy is misjudging a few things recently. Such as all the sellers who would rather be suspended than sign up for Etsy Payments. I find it hard to believe that Etsy anticipated tens of thousands of sellers would give up on their shops.

by: MikeyJoe This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 16 13:13:30 2017

Of course they underestimated the results of their iron fist tactics.
But honestly, after they changed the deadline and then offered me a $50 credit at the last minute (only in my shop with thousands of yearly sales, not the less profitable one) I really thought that they would at least make some feeble attempt to lure the alienated sellers back.
I am still looking for a site to call home, haven't found it yet, but I will.

by: Gatsby Girl This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 16 13:40:24 2017

3,056 signatures and rising.

lease-listen-and-act-enoughetsy

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Jun 16 14:05:20 2017

I thought that prior to this year that they were is so much trouble PR wise. recent decisions has created a whole new generation of despisers :-) I have to say I find it comical and the joke will be on any that buy this POS company. I doubt they will even know the underlying hate for Etsy that exist with the sellers and buyers. Some things can not be fixed fast and Trust or lack of is one of those things

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 17 05:55:04 2017

I'm also not a fan of their new 'dashboard' or whatever they call it. The stats function I saw for the first time yesterday - and it told me absolutely nothing. I was trying to answer a question a friend of mine had about one of my items. Never did find the answer but it was 'right there' on the 'old' dashboard.

I loaded up Remove It Permanently to get rid of the stuff on the right hand side of the new 'dashboard' but can't get rid of the multiple scroll bars. It looks a bit better but it's missing what I consider important information that used to be there and has WAY WAY too much 'other stuff' that you can't get rid of and I would never use.

Is there some technical reason why a company cannot offer both options to users? It's certainly not just etsy that does stuff like this.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 17 14:52:10 2017

Once a venue starts taking a FVF, it over for the sellers,

They will continue to deceive, cheat and do what ever they have to create profit for themselves, and if that means showing items, that make them more money that's exactly what they will do,

Ebay got around this with free listings, etsy will have to do the same thing, it's really wrong charging a fee to list, if everyone doesn't get equal exposure, why should my 20 cents not buy me the same exposure as the next guy?

etsy has been doing this transition in stages, they started by hiding the sold items and dates, now they are hiding the stats, all this is done to keep the sellers in the dark, keep them paying fees and keep them paying for promotions,

etsy will be in a heap of trouble when more of their sellers find out what they are really doing,

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]