Fri June 9 2017 20:25:31

Etsy Responds to Social Linking Controversy

Some sellers were upset to learn that Etsy was displaying ads for rival sellers at the top of listings when visitors came from social networking sites. We wrote about the issue here yesterday.

Etsy said it provides a workaround solution, telling us today:

We understand that sellers may not want recommended listings to show up when they share their items on social media or elsewhere. Sellers can create a personalized link for their items by adding their shop names to a listing's URL. When a shopper clicks on this link, they'll see the seller's listing without other recommendations. For example, if a seller wanted to share this listing on their Facebook page:

They would share this updated link instead:

Sellers on this discussion thread explained why they believed the workaround was not entirely satisfactory.

Etsy also responded to another seller's concerns described in this thread. The seller provided screenshots (no longer available for viewing) that described the same issue (ads appearing in her listing when she clicked through from a Pinterest post), but she also described another issue.

The seller said, "AND Now, because there are so many images on the page, my main item images DON'T LOAD." Etsy responded to the seller in the thread, saying it was unable to replicate the problem the seller had with her own image not loading.

Displaying other sellers' listings inside a seller's marketplace listing is never welcome. Marketplaces like eBay and Etsy generally tell sellers that everyone benefits, since they have a shot at having their listings appear in other sellers' listings as well.

The fact that Etsy is doing it for traffic coming from social networking sites might seem more palatable than if it were for all traffic. But the fact is, Etsy sellers have spent a lot of energy linking to their listings on sites like Pinterest and Facebook, and some of them say now they may curtail such activity.

Some sellers are advising colleagues to only link to listings on their own websites, not marketplace listings. What do you think?

Etsy Responds to Social Linking Controversy   Etsy Responds to Social Linking Controversy

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Fri Jun 9 21:13:01 2017

I buy a fair amount of pretty expensive stuff online.  When I come across a link to Etsy, I rarely click on it anymore, because I just don't have time to track down the real object I was looking for.

And as far a Pinterest goes, I NEVER, EVER go to, Pinterest anymore, let alone FOLLOW something from Pinterest, as they just waste my time.  Stupid Pinterest pins have TAKEN OVER Google images.

Look, Etsy sellers: It's just becoming a complete waste of time, trying to create useful backlinks.  They are a waste of serious buyer's time.

This is how it USED to work:
Write good title
  (Not one overstuffed with keywords)
Describe it fairly.  Price it fairly.
Sell it.  Ship it.

And when someone tells you: Yah, but those were the good old days.......

Remind them, that back then there was only Ebay, and Etsy, as major venues.

Lots different now........
After all, now there are a myriad of venues.  Ebay, and, oh yeah, Etsy.

So ask yourself, ''How come you can no longer run a nice easy business on Ebay or Etsy.  Why is this so hard?''

(Because of Ebay, and oh yeah, Etsy)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Jun 9 21:48:02 2017

What do I think

I think Josh is the latest incarnation of The Ho and that Etsy sellers need to teach him a lesson he won't ever forget.

If Etsy sellers fail to strongly resist, it will only get much, much worse...and soon.

by: just passign through This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 10 00:08:01 2017

But what etsy says will work DOES NOT WORK.

Not only that, but sellers can only update their own links and only on some social media sites.

Any existing links that the seller didn't create can't be altered. Some social media links can't be altered.

I've deleted all social media links that I can that are directed to etsy.

Once etsy sees the affects of dwindling backlinks maybe they will wake up. Or not.

Etsy as a platform is toast. They have 'suspended' tens of thousands of shops for not accepting etsy payments. Sellers will not direct any more traffic to etsy because of this 'test.'

Why would anyone in their right mind chase the endless changes? Which will be permanent, which will not? Who has time for this cr*p when they are trying to run a business.

All of this smacks of desperation.

And it is disgusting...

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sat Jun 10 00:59:34 2017

it is also not addressing the millions and millions of past links and it is another step. This is a SCAM on Etsy's past and their reply to how to avoid this is a SCAM. Take Pinterest boards.. as people going to re insert all those links from last year? Google search.. all those links in the old format are people aable to redo all of this? NO NO NO NO Etsy has stoled all of those links to peoples shops and redirected them to the MASS Promo to the shops Etsy Deems good enough to receive their gift of links.. guess what? all this is is more favoritism and THEFT!!! Theft of all those links to a use they have selected that will benefit them and the shops they want to succeed!!!

THEIVES!! That is all Etsy is.. and SCUM of the lowest class.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sat Jun 10 01:06:26 2017

Changing where a link goes to after the fact and RETROACTIVELY when the link does not belong to ETSY but to the person that created the link is Theft.

The original link would never have been created had the seller known two years ago on pinterest or even in a news article two years ago that Etsy would send it to a MASS Advertising Area on your competitors Shops.. AKA YOUR HOME PAGE. Simple solution.. TELL Etsy to go to HELL, Get a web site to send traffic to and NEVER EVER send social media traffic to etsy again.

by: Gridlox This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 10 04:08:25 2017

This is a cheap shot no doubt, another way Etsy is using it's Sellers not helping them..but there is an easy way around it obvious would be to have your own domain to link to then from own domain to Etsy.. or if/when you link an item to FB, Pinterest or others DO NOT use the back link to that item directly .. instead pin or post your item then remove the listing link from the Pin or post and replace it with a link to your Etsy shop home page NOT that actual item
so change item link in Pin from something like (original item link)www(dot)Etsy(dot)com/listing/12345678 to simply www(dot)Etsy(dot)com/shop/yourshopname.. when a social media link lands on the shop home page it does not display other. with all these new changes not for the better it seems almost like Etsy is deliberately sabotaging Etsy in hope to build Patterns site up.. again at at the cost off the seller..If it was not for seller services Etsy would out of business 2 years ago

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sat Jun 10 07:40:29 2017

The problem is all the existing links that are now on the internet. It would be impossible to change them all. I am going to start removing and redoing our boards with a NO Etsy Policy for our members.. same with Sellergroup and our 6 FB Groups. all will be NO ETSY allowed after this BS theft of all the links we so generously provided free. I suggest others do the same.. this Etsy site has gotten out of control.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 10 09:07:40 2017

I understand the anger of Etsy using links to display other sellers products to Etsy's advantage.

I don't understand all the Tweeting, Instagrams, Facebook since all I do is Pinterest, but

Way back when I decided not to sell on certain sites and concentrated on eCrater and Tictail, I deleted my boards and started all over promoting only items on these 2 sites.
I know that you can't remove the "repins" and I am okay with that because the new boards are doing great.

I do understand the aggravation of sites using your items and to promote other sellers items. I still get questions about items I have sold on Bonanza over 6 years ago and don't have the 2 out of 3 accounts there. (1 account is not a selling account but to help some friends with the Bonanza glitches that Bonanza won't talk about)

I do remember someone talking about deleting old twitter postings. I suppose you could delete a couple of months worth. I just don't know about this one.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sat Jun 10 09:34:21 2017

I am reworking and deleting pins on Pinterest this morning. I agree it is not hard on Pinterest to just delete a board and restart over. I can pin 100 items in less than 30 minutes. all into a new board. pretty simple if you use the pinterest add on.

Facebook.. we just need to go forward and not use Etsy anymore. Etsy is slime they really do not care one bit and it is about time sellers stared treating Etsy the exact same way they treat us. with total disrespect.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sat Jun 10 09:36:28 2017

Etsy thinks they have a great deal of traffic, so they can make silly rules. And expect sellers to kowtow to their every whim (like the other four-letter site that begins with ''E'' and ends with ''Y'').

This just in- Etsy just does not have the chops to dictate whatever they please as a requirement to sell on the site. While the other company is dying slowly, Etsy is going in the negative direction much more quickly.

Both need to wake up. It seems eBay may be attempting to improve their site, but Etsy is gambling on their sellers to respond in a positive manner to the changes, and it just isn't going to happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sat Jun 10 12:25:47 2017

I don't wish anything but the best, on all the legitimate Etsy sellers.

For the most part I think Etsy sellers feel they don't have anywhere else to go  That knowledge will reinforce managements' stubbornness to follow their current insane path.

BUT, I think management has miscalculated this.  I'm not sure they're strong enough to survive much of a media storm.  I've never seen anything but Sickening, Glowing Articles about Etsy in the national media.  One or two truthful articles exposing these idiots, could send Etsy stock to the bottom, and Etsy herself the way of other dot.coms.

Then there's always the following:

1) An Ebay offer good enough to entice pissed off Etsy sellers to move.  A lot of them don't know how bad Ebay is to work for. And who besides Ebay is better at dreaming up a garbage filled offer to Etsians.  (Can you say ''Ebay Handmade''?)

2) An Ebay (or even Amazon) purchase of Etsy stock, the moment it tanks.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sat Jun 10 12:29:55 2017

Regarding #2 above,

Can you say ''Offshore Savings Account''?

by: Lowe40 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 10 17:30:58 2017

Etsy seems to be hell bent for leather to KILL the site.....tax write off maybe?

If etsy would stop all this silly sh*t they're doing, fire a few coders & drop 1 catered lunch/wk (out of 2 so the etsy employees won't feel ''deprived'') they could do REAL ADVERTISING, to really get buyers to the site instead of filling a sellers listing (that they have pd for) full of OTHER sellers items.

Doesn't affect me ATM cuz I'm on ''forced'' vacay since I won't take EP, but if my shop WAS open, I would not be happy to see other sellers items on my page.

And now etsy is ''testing'' taking away sellers branding from listings, which is just going to confuse sellers even more, when combined with multi cart checkout (which, thank heavens, they finally did give ppl the chance to check out from indivual shops & not have to do all at once!). For the last few yrs etsy has pushed sellers to come up with/use their own branding, now etsy is testing removing it from the pgs we pay for.

Closing down 50-60,000 shops for not taking EP has got to hurt the bottom line for the quarter ending at the end of the month.
That will be 13 straight quarters etsy has show a loss.........13 may turn out to REALLY be etsys unlucky number!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sat Jun 10 17:55:23 2017

lets hope that army of NYC lawyers are keeping a close eye on Etsy's CFO and CEO and Chairman that have to sign off on that report that will be seen in August. I see a lot of Law Suits in Etsy's Future from the stock Market crowd.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 11:27:06 2017

I guess this explains why my sales on etsy are up slightly I do not run any outside ads. If I did, I would be mad too!
Hopefully this will encourage the affected sellers to take their ad money to link only to their own site and not advertise free for etsy and other sellers any longer.

by: Redlion This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 00:46:35 2017

I've got to be honest and say that I've never really understood why sellers would advertise on any social media and still pay a fee.

Back before I had a website I did try to get buyers into my eBay store, but I also got a discount on the FVF when buyers purchased via a link from outside.  When eBay discontinued the program, I discontinued advertising for them... And then I got my website.  I pay a fee for my items to be seen, I don't feel a need to do Etsy or eBay's job for them.

Get yourself a website even if it is a cheapie and put a discount coupon in each and every Etsy and eBay package.  Advertise YOUR website on social media and use Etsy and eBay to generate sales for your website.  Let them do their job, and you do yours.

by: ssweet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 00:54:54 2017

Now let's get to the part where Etsy is doing a new test where the stores that have Paypal integrated with Etsy so that Etsy gets the entire fee will get badges next to their listings and at checkout that say they are safe sellers, while shops who have been lucky enough to grandfather into keeping their stand alone Paypal (they must also accept the Etsy Payments too) won't get the badge - even though they are just as safe as integrated Paypal. In fact, I think Paypal offers more protection to buyers than Etsy - for longer. This is another of Etsy's ways of saying ''screw you'' to sellers who have been with them the longest. And also wreaks of greed and desperation. Here is a long excerpt from the announcment posted on the forums:

''Starting today, we’ll begin a test that will show some buyers in the United States two new badges: An Etsy Purchase Guarantee badge that will appear on eligible listing pages and a Payment Protection badge in eligible shopping carts. To be clear, we’re continuing to offer the same seller and buyer protections—and testing out a new way of making them more visible to shoppers to encourage them to make purchases. If you have questions about how Etsy helps to resolve issues with an order, read this FAQ: www.etsy.com/help/article/364

The Etsy Purchase Guarantee badge will let shoppers know that they can resolve any issues with their order through Etsy’s case system after trying to work with the seller. This badge will appear on listings in shops around the world that offer Etsy Payments with integrated PayPal. Orders processed through Etsy Payments give us the information we need to investigate cases and chargebacks.''

by: Redlion This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 01:07:51 2017

ssweet,
How correct you are.  Sellers taking payment via DC only have to provide proof of shipment to be protected against an INR claim on Etsy, while sellers accepting stand alone Paypal have to provide proof of delivery to prevail in an INR claim.  Safer indeed.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 02:25:19 2017

I do not sell on Etsy, but I have been tweeting ads for folks selling on Etsy every day to help them out. Beginning tonight, I will no longer Tweet Etsy posts. If we all do that it will slow Etsy's social media traffic figures down, and their hijacking of those who spend their time working social media trying to boost their own or other Etsy seller's sales.

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 03:28:37 2017

So Etsy have provided a ''workaround'' to compensate for THEFT and FRAUD in stealing from sellers who have paid for ads on social media! Generous. Its fortunate for Etsy that they are not a UK based company because they would surely be in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. This protects consumers from unfair or misleading trading practices and bans misleading omissions and aggressive sales tactics. Etsy's so called user agreement of ''We can do what we like when we like'' would not stand up in a British court.