728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Sat June 3 2017 22:05:30

Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News

Online sellers are always adapting to marketplace changes, and Etsy sellers are no exception.

First the good news - Etsy has finally changed its multi-shop checkout launched in January after 5 months of complaints from buyers and sellers. When it added the ability for buyers to purchase from multiple shops in a single transaction in January, it took away the ability for shoppers to purchase just one item unless they removed all the other items stored in their cart. (Many have stocked it full of listings they are not yet prepared to purchase but wish to easily see shipping info.)

Here's Friday's announcement:

"Back in January, we launched multi-shop check out which makes it possible for buyers to check out from more than one shop with a single payment.

"Since then we've been listening to your feedback and have heard that while buyers love the ability to check out from multiple shops in one transaction, sometimes they want to just purchase one of the items in their cart at a time. We've made some adjustments so now buyers will be able to select "Check out only from this shop" in the cart. This new option is now available to all buyers. Buyers are also still able to check out from all shops in one purchase by clicking the orange "Proceed to checkout" button in the cart.

"Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for being an active part of the Etsy community!"

- Megan L from meganinhudson  2:09pm Jun 2, 2017 EDT

Now for the bad news: Etsy has proceeded with its plan to suspend sellers who don't comply with new requirements that they sign up for Etsy Payments (formerly called Direct Checkout) by May 31st.

On Thursday, Etsy announced it was proceeding to suspend sellers' listings if they hadn't added Etsy payments - citing "thousands of sellers and listings" that faced suspensions, so many that it would take its system a few days to complete the process.

Some sellers reviewed data and pegged the number as "tens of thousands" rather than "thousands."

Etsy declined to provide exact figures of shops suspended but a company spokesperson said they were very pleased with the number of shops who had set up Etsy Payments since the requirement was announced.

Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: ssweet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 3 22:40:31 2017
It appears that approximately 50,000 shops have left etsy since the suspensions began 3 days ago. Are you very pleased with that too Etsy? I know 50,000 sellers that aren't. Please let justice be real and remove their B Corp status along with their vegan catered meals and yoga room from whence you can probably hear them mutter ''Let them eat cake''.
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: MikeyJoe This user has validated their user name.
Sun Jun 4 11:28:13 2017
After shutting down tens of thousands of shops they actually have the nerve to lie to shoppers about why their favorite shops are no longer there.
I really have no idea how they are saying it but in the last 48 hours I have received several messages from customers who are somehow under the impression that my shop is on vacation.
C'mon etsy, tell shoppers the truth!
Tell them how you purged all of us who refused to allow you to run your greedy little fingers through our cash!
I hate to say it but I could go along with their system if it wasn't for the fat that they want to hold onto my money and they try to convince me that they are doing me a favor by delaying payment by several days.
I guess the world really is full of blind sheep who would starve to death if they didn't have someone like etsy telling them what is good for them.
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 11:30:21 2017
Only a fool will use etsy payments.
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 12:01:52 2017
For those that are "on Vacation",
on top of your "About" page, place in the reason why you are "on Vacation" and place your new location, if you have one.

Change your avatar/logo that includes your new location.

I have done that with Etsy and Bonanza. I am not happy to still get questions about items on Bonanza from shops that have been closed for some time.
Even on eBay, I have my other sites visible.
Sometimes you need to play with your avatar a bit. (wink wink)
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.
Sun Jun 4 12:56:36 2017
It's funny that they're not counting the number of shops that left prior to the suspension. Since the announcement of the required change a couple/few months ago, it looks as though somewhere around 200,000 shops have closed. So, we're talking hundreds of thousands of shops -- not tens of thousands.
This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sun Jun 4 13:30:58 2017
Quoting From: https://www.statista.com/statistics/409374/etsy-active-sellers/
>Under
the title of:
Industries › E-Commerce › C2C E-Commerce ›Etsy: number of active sellers 2012-2016

Quote:
''About This Statistic:''
''This statistic represents the number of active sellers on social commerce platform Etsy from 2012 to 2016. As of 2016, more than 1.7 million sellers sold goods through the Etsy ecosystem, up from 1.56 million in the previous year.''
End Quote.  Nice easy to read graph at above link....

So.... (As the young-uns like to start sentences)

1,748,000 - In 2016 (End of year?)
0,968,546 - Today
0,779,454 - Difference.  Plenty of reasons why.

So, can we just agree on the following;
Etsy has lost 800K sellers in the last 5 months.

That is more than 50k (Closed in the last several days)
And is more than 200k (Various other quotes of total losses)

This is really sad/devastating for many of those 800k sellers, and now the most recent 50K.  But Etsy should at least open up & tell the truth about what has been, and is still going on at Etsy, regarding their continued claim of being the leading Handmade website.

If nothing else, they are telling the most FANTASTIC lie to Etsy buyers, regarding the sheer quantity of mass machine produced, NOT HANDMADE goods that is taking over the site.  Etsy & Aliexpress are becoming synonymous.  When the real truth comes out, the so called Etsy Brand will be worthless.

Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: MikeyJoe This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 16:52:37 2017
Me again.
Several months ago I became very tired of competing with shops that claimed to be selling "handmade" or "vintage" items.
I started looking into where these supposed vintage items were coming from and my first suspect (as someone mentioned previously) was aliexpress.
I wasn't surprised to find several Chinese vendors selling the exact, same items but I was surprised to see the photos used on aliexpress to be exactly the same as those being used by sellers on etsy.
I sent several examples to etsy including web addresses and links to sellers and I thought I would at least receive a response and hopefully see some results but neither happened.
I checked back a few months later and the shops still had the same listings for Chinese junk using the same images cut and pasted from aliexpress.
Any entity that cannot police itself and follow it's own rules is doomed for failure.
It won't be long before shoppers realize that they can save money by just going to aliexpress or save time by going directly to the websites of the large companies that now sell on etsy.
I for one am glad to be one of the crazies they purged!!
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jun 4 17:26:40 2017
Looks like Etsy moving forward should be renamed Etsyexpress or Etsy aka Etsyexpress.
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jun 4 19:08:59 2017
"Etsy has lost 800K sellers in the last 5 months."

Precisely why Chad is no longer there and possibly why Josh's tenure will be short.

When Etsy allows machine made goods to sell on their site advertised as hand made, they are a co conspirator in fraud.

Report Etsy and any other e commerce venue nourishing fakes to the FBI internet crime complaint center. B sure to document, document, document!

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sun Jun 4 22:32:43 2017
@Ming; Thanks for the link, I'm gonna do that.

@Mikey; I went to your shop.  4,000 sales.  Congrats.  Etsy says you are on a break..... Must be tired from 4,000 sales in 2 years.  Get some rest, & get back to work.

I too had entire listings hijacked from Etsy, that appeared on Ali, Amazon, and a couple others.  No one cared.  Shut 'em all down.

This is all about money, & maximizing it.  We dont fit into that scheme.  Best of luck.
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 00:27:22 2017
When you lose 800,000 sellers there is not good news, only bad. If Etsy stockholders are fine with the loss then so be it.  However, I bet once they become aware of how Etsy runs its company and how they are willing to lose hundreds of thousands of seller, I doubt there will be many shareholders left.  Who would want to own even a piece of a company like Etsy?
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: Lois This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 06:45:25 2017
Interesting and not-at-all-good thing I noticed about direct payments is that - at least in my shop - ETSY has holding on to payments for several days before crediting them to our accounts. Seems like a sleazy way for them to make money.
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: glasspackaging This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 07:44:55 2017
When your next decline in sales and traffic reporting comes out... let me ask .. "do you miss me yet?"
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 08:45:02 2017
Many thanks for a great article and comments.  Too bad that this info could never be published on Etsy although I see that often posters on the forums manage to sneak in some links here or there.

In the last 6-12 months Etsy has been pretty much destroyed as a an e-commerce site allegedly for handmade and vintage.  The purge of these sellers was blatant and deliberate and it was designed as a purely money making tactic to appease the investors.

The financial geniuses who are running Etsy do not care about the women who make up 909% of the sellers.  They do not care about the artisans or purveyors of authentic vintage.  They do not care about social justice.  They only care about one thing and that is M-O-N-E-Y.

Unfortunately for them, their greed has backfired and instead of creating wealth for themselves, they have killed the proverbial goose that laid the golden eggs.  (for those of you who've never heard that expression, it refers to an old fable.  You can look Google it)

Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 09:24:17 2017
So, almost half their sellers? BRAVO!
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: ib30667 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 10:40:12 2017
So they shut down ten of thousands of sellers. You can't tell me this isn't going to hurt them financially. All those listing fees and FVF. I deleted my shop early in May. Those who have been suspended- Do you think they're going to comply? How many more are going to delete their shops?
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage

Mon Jun 5 12:07:18 2017
I find Etsy Payments equally as tolerable as Amazon's payment system.

Remember when eBay began to require PP? What an outcry!!

Now PP is vehemently preferred by some vocal Etsy sellers.

I guess no one else ever had their PP account closed with no recourse like we did. Not the be-all and end-all of payment processors in my experience. To each his own, though.

I do wonder that in time many sellers will be back. After they find that eBay, Amazon and even their own website aren't the greener grass they expected to find.

My Etsy sales are fine. My YOY revenue is up 37% according to the new stats.

Don't get me wrong... I'm always open to another great online venue for Vintage goods. (I'm not ready to drive traffic to my own site though.)

Happy online selling... wherever!!
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: Gridlox This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 13:35:15 2017
Many Etsy sellers in the forums seem to think this is the best thing since toasted bread, with a "let them go less sellers means more buyers for me less competition for me" attitude shamefully not realizing 50,000 Etsy sellers lost is likely 50,000 buyers lost.

Not to mentions most of these shops had their own following of Customers that will follow them where ever they go.

50,000 upset sellers telling their friends how Etsy closed their shop and put them out of business on social media.

How could anyone possible see this as a positive.

Etsy claims more suspension to come today.

I think the fall out here is already damage done.

Good Luck Etsy your sellers have been cut nearly in half in the last 6 months but it seems you have it covered with fake stats and a new fake stat shop manager that does not work..

All I can say about stats is Myspace had 75.9Million members at one point.. now days people say "Myspace ? what is Myspace ?"..

Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 14:00:08 2017
I always wonder in amazement how corporate leaders can botch things up so bad..how are these people chosen? Is experience not even looked at?
Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News   Etsy Updates: Good News - Bad News
This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jun 5 16:50:16 2017
Because they literally don't know anything but how to bullshit.

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)