728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Fri Apr 14 2017 21:41:13

eBay's Latest Promotions for Sellers and Buyers

Check your in box, eBay is running a special promotion for UK sellers this Easter weekend. The "Save when you sell" promotion kicked off on Friday and runs through Monday.

It's purely an incentive for casual sellers - business sellers and powersellers are excluded from participating.

If you received the invitation and activate the promotion, you can list up to 100 auction or fixed-price listings on eBay UK at no charge, and pay a maximum of one pound in commission fees.

eBay doesn't share the strategy or details of its promotions for buyers and sellers, but in recent years has structured its fees so that all sellers receive a certain amount of free listings each month. In the US, the trend these days is to run flash sales targeted at buyers, rather than promotions for sellers.

Here's a recent example of one such sale in the US: from April 10 - 14th (today), eBay ran a sale on business equipment, advertising the coupon code "CB2BSPRING" - it gave shoppers a 10% off coupon on purchases of eligible listings of $50 or more on eBay.com, with a cap of $50.

Would you rather see eBay running promotions to save sellers money on fees, or would you rather see eBay run promotions to drive traffic to listings (assuming it's not driving traffic solely to big brands and daily-deals sellers)?

eBay's Latest Promotions for Sellers and Buyers   eBay's Latest Promotions for Sellers and Buyers
This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Apr 15 09:25:32 2017
I DELETE all email from Ebay.
by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 15 14:22:56 2017
Drive traffic to Buyers?  What Buyers???  Already miserable sales are off yet another 40% or so in the last 4-5 months.

How about more promotions for Sellers - let me have a break listing items (that probably no one will see).  If nothing else, at least I can feel good that I was able to try, even if nothing comes of them.

While there is $$$ in Business Equipment, I'm thinking the bulk of it comes from a small number of Buyers, all spending large amounts per item, rather than many Buyers with small dollar amounts, as in the majority of other categories.  If that's true, just how many people does a promotion like this actually benefit?  As opposed to letting Sellers list more items?
This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Apr 16 10:07:48 2017
RIGHT NOW : Etsy has FOUR TIMES (4X) more items in our favorite categories the Ebay.
Now, if we can get a NEW AUCTION site with OUR CHOICE of payments, we'll be prepared for the New Successful Economy.
If they wanted to, Etsy could create an Auction Plugin Module.
DO IT !
by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 16 12:40:44 2017
I see they must be fixed price listings.  'Promotions' with a hook, for the fish.  But who gets to eat?  And who gets to eat it?

Time was, not so long ago, a seller didn't NEED a 'promotion' to want to list on eBay.  And eBay didn't need them to attract customers.  And buyers too.
by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.
Mon Apr 17 00:23:12 2017
I closed my eBay store a month ago.   Guess alot of people are doing this because they sent me an email offering a free store for 3 months.  Read through, no obligation so I opened it.  Will keep it open little more than 2 months then I will close it for good.  In the meantime that gives me more time to promote our own site..  If I closed it due to lack of sales, I don't see that changing
by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 17 01:43:48 2017
I do mostly multiple fixed price items in my eBay stores.  Most of what I have to sell is already listed GTC so having 500 more free listings is not particularly helpful.  OTOH, promotions for buyers for items in ALL categories, from ALL sellers might be very helpful.
by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 17 09:07:43 2017
I would prefer them to drive traffic to normal seller listings.
I have enough competition. There are plenty enough sellers for a buyer to choose from.  As if they would offer any discounted fees and really do it... no thanks, I would not believe it and I have a store, so those discounts never apply to me anyway.

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)