Mon Feb 6 2017 22:14:15

Postal Worker Blames Amazon for Slowing the Mail

ABC News consumer reporter Diane Wilson of North Carolina said she's being flooded with complaints about late mail deliveries. The culprit? Amazon packages, according to a USPS worker she spoke to who asked to remain anonymous.

According to Wilson, the worker said the issues started when the USPS took on Amazon's package delivery: "They put the 1st class mail and Priority Mail on the back burner, and they are so dedicated to the Amazon, the customer does not get their 1st class letters, their bills."

The USPS provided Wilson with a statement without specifically addressing whether Amazon packages were being given priority over regular mail, stating that every customer experience and every piece of mail was important to the Postal Service. You can find the full statement on the ABC news site.

It's inevitable that postal workers would have more packages to deliver given the growth in ecommerce in general - and Amazon is a huge percentage of the packages moving through the system. The USPS is courting packages with its Priority Mail offering and is also delivering packages for FedEx and UPS (Smartpost for FedEx and Surepost for UPS).

It's also worth remembering that the USPS deliberately set out to slow delivery of letter mail when it implemented its consolidation plan.

USPS may not have to "worry" about Amazon packages in a few years. Amazon is building out its own capacity to lessen its reliance on third-party carriers, and part of its plan includes drones.

Amazon even aired a television commercial during Sunday's Super Bowl game featuring delivery drones - you can watch it via Twitter.

Are you seeing delays in delivery time through the USPS for letters and/or packages? If so, do you think Amazon is to blame?

Postal Worker Blames Amazon for Slowing the Mail   Postal Worker Blames Amazon for Slowing the Mail

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 6 22:52:09 2017

If anything, priority mail seems as fast or faster than it has ever been for the packages I mail.  It rare for a package to miss its expected delivery day and three day packages sometimes arrive a day ahead of schedule.  First class domestic mail often takes a day or two longer than priority mail. I've noticed that first class mail packages to the UK and Australia beat the estimated 10 days I tell my customers, but Canada and Germany see delays in customs.

by: betsys.bijoux This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 6 23:19:48 2017

Not Amazon's fault - my shipping issues have been strictly on USPS's head.  First class packages can sit for days at the local sorting center and finally head on their way when I call my postmaster and get him involved.

7 packages over the holidays took cross country grand tours lasting 10 to 15 days just to go to neighboring states.  Several packages delivered to wrong addresses - one delivery was wrong street in the wrong city in the wrong state ... they hit the trifecta on that one.

Nope, Amazon didn't do that, sheer incompetence did it.  Luckily my local post office is great about running things down and fixing them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Feb 7 01:07:05 2017

Priority Mail is faster than ever. I don't know whether Amafia is responsible for the slowdown in first class mail or not. What I do know is that when USPS closed our local sorting center and began sending everything to the sorting center 80 miles away local first class mail delivery time went from overnight ro 4-5 days yet local USPS delivers Amafia packages on Sunday.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 03:07:25 2017

Piffle.  My own experience with 100 plus per month outbound USPS First Class Package, FedEx SmartPost, and Priority mail by weight and zip code has been EXEMPLARY.  Ditto for my 3 to 5 International First Class Packages.  I am NOT slamming other posters, but I am left to wonder if the folks who see significant shipping delays are PERHAPS Hand-Writing their shipping labels and then TAKING their packages to a REAL post office counter rather than using eBay/PayPal prepaid labels. I have had exactly ZERO negative outcomes using those labels and only 2 or 3 of my 10,000 outbound packages have EVER gone EAST when the destination was WEST... or such.  Entirely too easy a mistake for ANY carrier to make given that all it takes is for the LONE package to fall off a conveyor into the WRONG consolidated shipping pallet OR for a single pallet to get mis-directed onto the WRONG over the road trailer.  Once the seal goes ON those trailer doors NO HUMAN sees any of the cargo until it reaches it's destination.  9,997  out of 10,000 is EXCELLENT...

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 04:39:53 2017

With shipping of over 700 packages a week we have no complaints at all with the exception of a wandering package the post office does a good job.

Its the registered mail that is the problem. We currently have a registered package worth many dollars taking a world tour. Last tracked in Hawaii. Even the post office is having a difficult time telling us where it is. It left NC on Jan 25.

This for a package that is supposed to be kept under lock and signature all the time.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 10:07:19 2017

@angryllama

Sorry to burst your bubble BUT we don't use paypal, ebay or any of the other services for our shipping label.

Each label is hand written and each tracking number is recorded. WE USE GOOD OLD REGULAR POSTAGE STAMPS FOR POSTAGE, and we drop all of our packages off at the front counter of the post office. Tough if they don't like it. Thats what they get paid for.

It has always amazed us that the people who pay top dollar for shipping have all the problems. We use good old regular stamps for postage that are purchase at about 60 per cent of face. Figure it out people our postage costs us 40 percent less than yours and all we have to do is write out a label.

How funny

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 10:47:35 2017

Amazon is not to blame.

The blame go's to the ignorant, lazy, incompetent, chip on their shoulder USPS employees.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 11:56:58 2017

How the heck do you get tracking using regular stamps?

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 12:19:16 2017

I second the previous posts - in general, USPS delivery has been excellent.  Every several dozen packages or so there's a glitch, and one takes somewhat longer, but otherwise 1st class and Priority have been arriving within two-three days, and even Media Mail hasn't been longer than 4-5 days.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 7 14:21:50 2017

@hopeforthebest

Tracking is a little label that comes on a roll from the post office. It has the tracking number on it. All you do is stick it on the package put on postage and mail it at your post office. OR if you have carrier pickup it will scan when the carrier picks it up. ( You must have at least one label generated via online priority mail)

We just put the right amount of postage on ( over the counter rate a few pennies higher than online.)

Add the tracking label ( be sure to keep track of numbers ) and take to the PO.

We don't update tracking to ebay. Its not required. If a person doesn't get their item by the expected delivery date we tell them to open a case. Our accountant will then find the tracking number. and 99 put of 100 times the item has been delivered.

TRACKING IS FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE SELLER NOT THE BUYER.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 00:58:32 2017

All I know is that in the last couple of weeks, Amazon packages have shown up, left outside. Two were supposedly delivered on Sunday with never even the doorbell ringing. My son found one Sunday evening. I found the other one this morning (Tuesday)sitting in the rain in a soaked box. It wasn't there yesterday when I went out to take the mail out on Monday, didn't notice it coming or going yesterday. And then today here is this box a good 4-5 feet from the front door and not even placed under the house eaves but in the open.

I have NO desire for Sunday deliveries and Amazon is the only place that gets it stuff delivered on Sunday by apparently a seller not from our local PO. I'm not sure why anyone would need to have a box with washcloths in it delivered on a Sunday. Medication maybe, but I can't really think of anything else.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 01:15:26 2017

I would like to know how FeelingFroggy is able to purchase his postage stamps at 60% of face value. Sounds too good to be true.

On pre-printed vs hand written labels, I find it valuable to let eBay or PayPal print the labels.  It is accurate and adds routing information that almost guarantees a package will not go astray.  And it is more professional - if you care.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Feb 8 01:31:34 2017

Froggy:

Be quite or else we will be paying more then the 50 to 70 percent for the postage we use.

This user has validated their user name. by: SalesBoy

Wed Feb 8 02:34:57 2017

Haha!  The USPS scores a huge contract with Amazon and cries about it!  They were crying their eyes out not long ago because everyone was emailing instead of mailing.  Now they purposely slow them down?!  LOL!!  Wait until Amazon doesn't need them so much in the future.  The tears will flow once again.

by: ewegolf This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 07:19:38 2017

I don't think any of the 18 employees who were working at my local Post Office at 6:15 a.m. this past Sunday were crying about Amazon.  They were thankful for all the extra premium pay that is available because of Amazon.

by: geministuff28 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 07:24:33 2017

@FeelingFroggy

''if you have carrier pickup it will scan when the carrier picks it up. ( You must have at least one label generated via online priority mail)

Not any more!
It use to be that way but they changed all that last year..

Since Priority mail went up substantially last month, I've changed my entire shipping method to 1st Class & 99% of all my packages are now shipping via 1st Class (I use to use Priority Padded FR envelopes almost exclusively)

My every day package pickups are 1st Class only..

I still use Priority though, for packages over 13 oz.

I must say I've noticed a substantial increase in sales since going from Priority down to a more reasonable 1st Class.

As for deliveries, I've not noticed any ''slow down''

But as other have said, yes, there are those rouge packages that either tour the country or somehow catch the ''pony express''

It only happens once in a blue moon, maybe 1 or 2 a month...

I ''so far'' have no complaints!

by: simerivergun This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 10:25:24 2017

Hello!  USPS did not scan my packages that were put into the receiving basket at the post office--62 packages not scanned for 5-7 days during Christmas. Ebay put me on the below standard list.  I complained to the Post Office in Washington.  I want a kiosk at my Post Office because the clerks would NOT scan my packages unless I stood in line that was around the block.
Home pickup is the same, they will NOT come to your home if you expect them to scan your packages.  I tried that-what a joke.  A lot of my lst class packages were lost for 6 weeks at Christmas.  They finally showed up, but I had to settle with my customers long before that time to keep from getting negative shipping feedback.
What to do?  I don't know.  I now stand in line for hours to get my packages scanned and ticketed. Especially the Priority and Express packages.  You need a scanned ticket to be able to claim the insurance.  Even then, the Post office won't pay the claim.  It is a nightmare.  USPS needs a new commander in chief.

This user has validated their user name. by: NiciArt

Wed Feb 8 13:16:41 2017

As far as shipping speed, we haven't noticed a slowdown or any substantial delays besides the occasional package that seems to take the scenic route. The biggest problem has been postal theft and stealing directly from the bins before the packages are officially in the system. Once the packages clear the local hub, delivery has been rather reliable. The experience on the local level varies widely from city to city and local postmasters seem to make up their own rules regarding scanning and processing. Some post offices scan individual packages, others use the scan sheet, and some select post offices refuse to scan anything. At least once a year we receive a case letter from the USPS informing us that our mail has been recovered in a theft case. Of course that mail is evidence and no reimbursement is offered. Usually the prep is someone from the loading docks. Rural post offices do not seem to have these issues.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 19:00:16 2017

@smallstuff

I'm seeing excellent delivery times with Priority, too. I recently mailed two parcels from PR and they got to TN and NY in two days.