Tue Jan 3 2017 12:50:03

Heroic Postal Worker Saves Packages from Burning Truck

Postal workers can get grief for a variety of reasons, and there's a rise in the number of videos on social media showing delivery people throwing packages onto porches.

But many of them work hard and go above and beyond the call of duty. PostalNews.com posted a video of one such postal carrier who rescued packages from her burning vehicle.

"Despite a 911 dispatcher telling her to get away from the vehicle, Santiago kept taking the boxes out."

And, if you ever doubted ecommerce is important to the USPS, just look at the huge pile of packages she rescued, from very small parcels to a number of hefty packages.

It's nice to start the New Year by celebrating someone so dedicated who is a part of the postal infrastructure that helps online sellers succeed.

Heroic Postal Worker Saves Packages from Burning Truck   Heroic Postal Worker Saves Packages from Burning Truck

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 3 13:12:59 2017

I just wouldn't call him a hero more like just a little stupid.

Nothing not even someones precious packages are worth getting hurt or killed for.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jan 3 13:54:46 2017

The Post Office needs to get this story out.

Not rain sleet or snow will stop us from delivering your mail, we'll even risk our lives to save your packages!

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 3 15:04:27 2017

So long as it was in the engine compartment it wouldn't be a big deal to save packages, once it started to spread to the cab than let it go. I would have started taking them out when i saw smoke, and have literally been tossing them in a pile. Contrary to popular belief, when vehicles burn they don't explode, the biggest issue is when it burns through the fuel line and the engine is on it will pump gas into the fire, so if this happens TURN THE VEHICLE OFF! Had a similar issue happen when i helped a friend move, their truck caught fire. Ended up saving most of their stuff before the cab caught fire.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 3 15:55:15 2017

Good Grief Froggy, what a post.  While certainly her first priority should have been her own safety.  But quite obviously from the news report and those close to her, she feels passionately about her job and takes it very seriously.

She probably saved some of the dreams and hopes of some people depending on those packages to get delivery for the holiday gift giving season.

What a gift she may have given to a whole lot of people.  Not only through saving those packages, but by her selfless actions.

@27tcle

I agree with you.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 3 16:33:48 2017

@Marie etc

For your information I used to work at the post office at Camarillo, California many years ago.

A carrier was loading his truck and for some reason the truck start on fire. The do gooder carrier ( against supervisors orders ) tried playing good guy and save the packages.

The result was he got burned badlhy when the fire just went whosh. He lived to tell about it after spending months in the hospital. To this day he will tell you that was the dumbest thing he ever done. Packages can be replaced. His skin and ablility to live a normal life can't.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 3 16:47:30 2017

Bottom line is there isn't anything in any of those packages that can't be replaced.

A life of misery or just a life is a very high price to pay for the junk we send through the mail.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 3 18:53:39 2017

@froggy

Just because you worked for USPS doesn't make your comment any less dismissive.

I get it that the postal worker could have been injured.  So could the guy that was passing by and stopped to help.  I'm not sure I would have done what they did, but 27tcle had a good point about where the fire was burning at the time they were removing packages.  The postal worker and the by stander had their hearts in the right place.  Of course I would never encourage anyone to do what they did, but they did what they did with all good intentions.

Your story about the other fire you have knowledge of in a similar situation is horrible.  I'm very sorry to hear that he is experience life long issues because of it.  The placement of the fire may or may not have been different, I certainly don't know, so the outcome is different.  Either way, I'm sorry to hear they were injured so badly.

Like I said, I'm not so sure I would have done what this postal worker did, but I'm sure glad they weren't injured as I am sure everyone else is as well.

by: NeverJetHot This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 4 00:04:26 2017

Should have gone ahead and opened the heavy one from the Acme Fire Extinguisher Company. Otherwise- it's just common sense to get away from a burning vehicle.

Click on the Postal News link in the story above and look at the picture- Those last packages are probably toast anyway.

Any place I have ever worked, safety for myself and my coworkers is my #1 job. I respect her work ethic though.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 4 00:10:54 2017

While I wouldn't expect my carrier to remove packages from a burning truck, I do know that she is a dedicated postal employee and works hard to do a good job. She is aware that I am disabled and that I also have many packages coming and going and is happy to make my pick ups and to drop off packages how we request so they don't get rained on, which has happened with UPS drivers, who at one point put a multi-$100 package full of sewing patterns right under the rain gutter in the wettest place no less!

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 4 06:21:49 2017

This sounds like something my postal carrier might do (though I really wish she wouldn't if it put her safety at risk!)  Prior to her, we had this guy who stole mail (probably threw it out to avoid delivery rather than kept it, but it's still theft).  The woman we have now is the complete polar opposite.  She goes above and beyond every day, and is friendly to go along with it!

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 4 17:08:19 2017

Got to save those Amazon packages!

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 5 00:30:21 2017