Thu Dec 10 2015 14:27:02

Where Do You Go to Buy and Sell Collectibles Besides eBay?

For many years, the number one place to buy and sell collectibles was eBay when it came to online venues. We're always looking at the options opening up to dealers and collectors, and in Sunday's issue of EcommerceBytes Update, Greg Holden is taking another look at the state of online collecting.

We know that lots of dealers sell vintage goods on Etsy - it's known for handmade goods, but it allows vintage goods and supplies as well. And there are smaller and niche sites (BidStart, eBid, Delcampe, Bonanza, eCrater, etc.) And of course, there's Ruby Lane and Tias.

In October, readers noted that Facebook can be a good place to sell, with one seller reporting they'd been selling antiques and primitives in Facebook groups for almost 6 years!

Some readers said they benefit from posting on social media sites to generate views or sales in their shops, while others did not.

And one reader pointed out the difference between pro dealers and hobbyists. "Being an admin on the large yard sale group I monitor postings closely and I can factually state, there are many successful sellers, but most are home based or hobby sellers like me."

Even Amazon has tried to get in on the act, launching stores for Sports Collectibles, Entertainment Collectibles, Fine Art, Wine, and Collectible Coins. But could Amazon ever work well as a selling venue for the average antiques/vintage dealers?

We'd like to throw it out to you, our readers. Where do you go to buy collectibles? And on what venues do you sell collectibles? Do social networking sites contribute to traffic or sales?

And stay tuned for Greg's report on Sunday.

Perminate Link for Where Do You Go to Buy and Sell Collectibles Besides eBay?   Where Do You Go to Buy and Sell Collectibles Besides eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Thu Dec 10 15:09:01 2015

Ecrater sometimes has some unusual items but Ebay still rules. :-) I have never bought anything on Etsy, I would if I saw something i wanted. FB groups are getting interesting.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Dec 10 16:57:01 2015

Amazon would be smart to stick with what it does best.

eBay would have been smart to stick with what it once did best.   If they had, they would have been the Amazon equivalent of collectible market.

Most sales have been on eBay with Etsy coming in second.  Most purchases have been on eBay, but their selection is not what it once was.

ecrater - I have sold a few things there early on but it stopped DEAD so I closed my account.  I like the format and would have returned except for one gripe: I cannot filter ''used'' only.  You can filter ''new'' only, or a combo of the two - but not ''used'' only.

For example: Search a general term like ''antiques'' and choose the ''new only'' filter - you will get several results for ''antiques'' and ''new''.

Then try something like ''vintage game'' - filter for ''new'' and yes, you get a result for ''vintage games'' that are ''new''.

Frustrating when you want to look at ONLY pre-owned collectible, vintage, or even clothing items and you have to browse through all the ''new''.  Very similar to Etsy (and other venues) seller complaints of having new mix with used.  If there is a hidden filter for ''used only'' results on ecrater, please post where it can be found.

No Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest selling or buying here.  I like Pinterest but am beginning to hate the clutter of ads. It has decreased the time I spend there. Not sure if that is the result they were looking for.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Dec 10 19:31:00 2015

The only place I sell my collectibles (or anything else) is eCrater. As far as buying, unfortunately the few things that I'm now actively collecting only seem to show up on eBay, so that's where I go.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 10 19:38:37 2015

About 70% of my sales revenue since 2013 has been comics.

Back in 2013 about 95% of my comic sales were on eBay. The other 5% came from Amazon and person-to-person sales.

In 2014 my eBay sales crashed and, after a few months, I began looking for other venues on which to sell comics. I settled on Bonanza as the one that looked best.

I decided to give Etsy a try for comic sales over the last six months. It has worked out surprisingly well and I am  expanding my inventory over there by quite a bit over the last couple of months.

At this point my comic sales are now about 70% eBay
15% Bonanza
10% Etsy
5% Amazon

Given the trends I have seen I expect my sales at Bonanza to continue to grow steadily, and my sales on Etsy to expand more quickly.

My expectations for 2016 comic sales:
eBay 55%
Bonanza 20%
Etsy 20%
Amazon 5%

If I knew any other venue in which I could sell comics at at least a 5% rate I would being listing there.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Dec 10 21:38:26 2015

Buying new, 100% BigBadToyStore.
Buying old, 50% eBay 50% conventions.

Second figure is down sharply; eBay because I have most of what's available there, conventions because I usually go as a dealer these days.

Selling, 50% conventions (^) 40% eBay (v) 5% Amazon (-) 5% eCrater (^).  I feel like I get a better value out of conventions than eBay/Amazon but it speaks more to how lousy those venues are than anything.  eCrater has been fair but damn is it slow even with passing the savings to my customers.

by: rainbowseeker This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 00:23:13 2015

Selling on Etsy and loving it!  Antiques and collectibles going great....off eBay now a full year and not looking back.  They can keep all their seller updates, price hikes and seller bashing.  I'm doing more on Etsy than I've done auctioning on eBay in the past 5 years.  Don't know why I didn't move sooner!

by: flybuy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 00:40:41 2015

For buying Ebay is still the best because often the sellers are not collectors so their prices are more reasonable.  I also buy on Facebook groups.  I sell on Ebay, Etsy and FB groups. Other collector acquaintances like Instagram.  Apparently Congress wants to tax Ebay sales so if that passes my guess is a lot of people will flock to FB and Instagram.  The nice thing about groups is they are a good source of information (e.g. history, distinguishing originals from fakes or reproductions) and you can do trades.  I would consider myself a hobbyist and enjoy the research and getting acquainted with other collectors as well as collecting.

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 01:12:58 2015

After buying and selling casino memorabilia on eBay from when it started I recently gave up and moved everything to Delcampe. My last auctions on eBay resulted in ZERO sales over my last 2 months that I tried but I've had over 200 sales in the last 3-4 weeks on Delcampe.

If you compare my category between the two sites, there are only 400-700 sales at any given time on eBay but there are 5,000+ sales on Delcampe. The majority of the listings on eBay are auto renewal listings that have been there for months with no sales and just keep repeating. There are actually VERY FEW actual auction listings. By the way, the entire Delcampe site is much more user friendly, costs are lower and on and on. I just can't say enough good things from what I've been experiencing. It's a totally different world from what eBay every was.

Storefronts on Delcampe are free and there's no fees to list anything until it's sold. Final value fees are based on your monthly sales volume total starting at 5.5% and going down to around 2%. Plus the good thing is that you can still list your items on your own website at the same time since you can cancel any auctions with no bids at any time with no repercussionsns or charges. They even offer an API to allow you to sync your own website with your Delcampe auctions.

If you want to upgrade your free storefront to a Gold level status, it gets you discounted selling fees and all sorts of added features and capabilities for just $60 FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR!

There's a full page article about to appear in the main casino collectible club magazine about Delcampe!

by: Katie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 01:26:19 2015

Until 2 mths ago a stand alone antique shop but the advertising got way too expensive for a small business.
Opened a shop on good ole ebay.  Not by choice, but by necessity.

Sometimes buy from etsy, Ruby Lane, ebay.

Mostly buy off-line from local auctions, estate sales and antique shops.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 06:36:02 2015

I'm doing much less searching and buying on eBay than I used to do. I just can't stand the relists anymore. The nearly unlimited free listings has all but ruined eBay auctions in the antiques and vintage collectibles categories, the categories that made eBay. The sellers love it, but they don’t understand that it has driven away most of the buyers who have more money than they have free time. It has also hurt eBay’s bottom line because a lot of us are obsessive collectors, and we don’t list items for sale until our searches are finished. Having thousands of relists to wade through each week means that most of us never get around to selling on eBay because we can’t get our searching done. The same overpriced or uninteresting items get relisted over and over and over. For hardcore collectors of unique or rare items it has become a nightmare. Constantly seeing the same unsalable items in our searches is driving us crazy. And it is killing auctions. It’s shocking how many auctions for unique antique items have been relisted 5 or 10 or 50 times. It’s taken all of the fun out of searching eBay. This never happened when sellers had to pay for listings. If eBay wants to save its vintage collectibles and antiques markets, it needs to immediately fix this problem. We need to be able to filter out relisted items from our searches. Another option would be to segregate the search results for relisted items. EBay segregates the domestic from the international listings in search results. They could also put all of the relisted items below the ''listed for the first time'' items, separated by a line as they do now with international. Forcing a buyer to see the same auction item show up in search results over one hundred times is only hurting eBay. So these days I'm buying more on Etsy and Ruby Lane and on book sites like ABE and Amazon. EBay is more and more like an antiques shop that never gets any new stock. Every time you go on eBay you see the same old VERY stale stuff.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 07:31:28 2015

Amazon would be smart to stick with what it does best.
^^
Agree with this.  AMZ is trying to rule the world and in so doing is trying to rule our every step in business; has become restrictive to sell on the site as a 3rd party seller.
More sales coming from EB.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Dec 11 07:41:00 2015

I was on Delcampe, I got about 1% of the Ebay site sales and they stole my Gold membership $$50?+ and removed me for complaining on their public forums in the same polite manner i post here. be very careful of wasting your money there. The Delcampe Owners are crooks, believe in total censorship, and the sales are totally horrible compared to Ebay.

Delcampe Disrespects all your rights to your merchandise description and pictures. They are listing my lots I removed over 10 years ago (about 500 items) to Black Hat SEO and attract buyer to their site thru Google. these items are unique and by them doing this they are stealing from the sellers as when you google a product they pull the sellers to Delcampe and do not even offer the item... because you own it and are selling it elsewhere. Theft that has been going on for over 10 years now.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Fri Dec 11 07:58:21 2015

the honest REAL facts about Delcampe posted on the delcampe forums:-)

by: trader_chris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 08:10:51 2015

I sell collectibles full time. eBay is by far the best place for individuals to sell them, especially for large collections or if you have something that's valuable. I occasionally find good buys by scouring Craigslist and also by placing a free "items wanted" ad on Craigslist, when I remember.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 09:11:21 2015

I buy quite a few things on a little site called TheToyPeddler.com This is a great site to buy die-cast cars at a really good price!

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 09:36:12 2015

I have had great success selling on Vangoe.com and recommend it as an option for small sellers to buy and sell.

by: moeclips This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 09:46:52 2015

Buy most my collectibles on Proxibid now. Good site to access a wide mix of collectibles that are being sold in live and online auctions.

by: Vangoe This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 09:53:55 2015

I am the owner and frequent user of Vangoe.com. We started our new website in direct response to the way eBay has changed the rules for sellers. We got tired after 17 years of selling there and decided to open our own site. We are getting lots of traffic and our customer base and inventory is growing by the day. Free listings, Free automatic re-listing of unsold items, 14 payment platforms and low selling fees. Yes we are new, but we are going to change the status quo of only having one choice for your auction and fixed price selling needs. Check us out. Thanks for reading. Jeff Schleede, President.

by: ruthie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 10:13:24 2015

I've been selling on Ruby Lane for several years now. I'm happy with the site and my sales. I buy to sell on ebay and etsy, and "live" auctions in my hometown.

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 11:03:44 2015

eBay is still my main venue for selling (diecast and toy cars), but I use Bonanza and have signed up for Proxibid, which has developed a huge base of Collectibles buyers.