Sat Nov 28 2015 11:03:19

Shop Til You Drop: Small Business Saturday

Many people were out shopping on Black Friday - and even on Thanksgiving Day, and the retail push continues today with Small Business Saturday. Miss Piggy is helping get the word out, and you can learn more about the "holiday" on the American Express website.

Many people have traditionally considered that to be a "shop local" day, but many online sellers are small businesses too, including marketplace sellers.

Sites like Etsy know that shoppers want to support small businesses throughout the year and give them an opportunity to describe themselves. Etsy also has a feature on its mobile app called Etsy Local to make it easier to find local independent retailers.

Even Amazon when it launched its new Handmade marketplace designed it differently so sellers could include information about themselves - and even lets them include a photo - a very different approach from the rest of the Amazon marketplace.

Some sellers say they have a difficult time filling out their profiles, but it clearly can be a big selling point to reach shoppers who want to feel a connection to the artisan or dealer with whom they're interacting.

There's a lot of competition from the big guys. Some retailers are extending Black Friday deals into Saturday, and of course Cyber Monday is no longer one day - it starts Sunday evening and runs the entire week, in some cases.

The extended holiday weekend is also notable for its opportunity for sellers to source inventory. For those doing retail arbitrage, how are the pickings in your area?

Do you do anything to highlight the fact that you're a small business? Do you use blogs or social networking sites to help you create a persona?

And are you doing anything to support your fellow small business sellers?

Shop Til You Drop: Small Business Saturday   Shop Til You Drop: Small Business Saturday

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 28 14:18:00 2015

Probably not. We spent most of the morning on Amazon with a cup of coffee in hand. Bought all the Christmas things we needed.

We now leave the maddness to the shopping centers and rude clerks.

We are don't. Done care if the person who sold us the things was a small seller or not. Done, Finished, Through.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Nov 28 21:20:44 2015

Business has dropped over dead for me this week.

As a shopper - loud groan - we supported IKEA. Hate to go into that maelstrom but I needed to stock up on tealights. Speaking of arbitrage - on ebay people charge $11 - $12 for those things and they cost like 3 bucks a package! I know, I know...

Also purchased extra chairs there as we will get a steady stream of company until mid January.

Like Sasikat, we have rolling waves of Amazon orders coming our way. And not just gifts either.   From our very own set of baby paraphernalia for grandchild (folding baby bed and all the accessories that I thought I got away from years ago)  - all the way to paper plates, coffee pod assortments, paper napkins, toilet paper. All the non-perishable stuff I can think of that will make life easy as guests come and go.

Thankfully home when all these delivery folks stop by - Porch shoppers beware:  ''take a bite out of crime'' can be literal at Casa Basset.

Our household is Amazon's new best friend - The prices have seemed very competitive - especially against Walmart.  We are not Prime members but it has been easy to get to the ''free'' threshold with all we've been ordering.  Our bank card has partnered with Amazon to give 10% cash back - which is why we even started looking at Amazon's offerings more recently.

Maybe this counts:  One gift was ordered via Amazon from a small seller I've done business with before on eBay.  I tried the seller's own site but it was not working:(   So I used Amazon and got the 10% that I would have missed on eBay.  So I guess I did support a small business - by way of  Amazon.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Nov 29 02:54:53 2015

Now that is a sore spot for me.  These stores that are open on Thanksgiving are to me ridiculous.  Those employees that have to work should be somewhere else with family and/or friends.  They don't belong there working.  They just should not be made to choose for the sake of some people to be able to shop.

Now this really is the consumers fault this happens.  If people wouldn't go out there and shop on Thanksgiving, then they would not be playing a part in keeping the workers from being with their family and friends.  There are more important things in life than shopping.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Nov 29 10:09:56 2015

Have never shopped at B&M stores on any major holiday.

One news report states Thanksgiving B&M retail in-store sales were down this year, while online sales were up again. Maybe stores being open on holidays will go away.

REI set a great example.  We also stayed home Black Friday. Only on Saturday did we trek to Ikea. That store needs a tram to get from one end to the other.

ONLINE shopping is a different story.  For us, one day is just like the next for that, and 10 minutes online can fit easily in the lull periods on a holiday. Our company aren't in and out - they are usually here to stay a while so they are online too!

Online shopping is the future and the future is here.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Nov 29 11:25:44 2015

So far, since the day before Thanksgiving until today, which is the Sunday after Thanksgiving, we have seen the worst sales EVER, and we've been on eBay for over 12 years and have multiple eBay sites.

I've mentioned this before, and I thought this last year, but I would not put it past eBay at all to throttle small sellers during the holidays so that their big enterprise sellers get the sales.

This "reconnecting with small sellers" nonsense that Wenig spouted out many months ago seems to be yet another eBay lie.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 02:28:00 2015

I did my part, shopping from small online sellers.  I hate Amazon, I refuse to buy from a company that treats employees the way Amazon does, and shafts its very own sellers by competing against them.  Amazon won't be getting any of my money.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 09:59:41 2015

I eventually will go on line and buy my Christmas presents as physically I can't do the shop till you drop thing anymore. I am sick of all the ads and emails that fill my mailbox. Just glad that for the most part I'm getting the junk mail in non-paper form so I don't have to feel sorry for the trees. I'm not sure what all everybody is out there shopping for. Our Christmases are simple and all told we probably don't spend more than about $200 for everything for Christmas, including presents and treats. So I certainly am not inspired to fight a crowd for TVs, etc.