Sun Nov 15 2015 17:19:16

What Happens When a Shipping Carrier Loses a Package?

Have you seen the reports about a customer who fought UPS for months over a lost package, only to find the product (a custom car engine) show up for sale on eBay?

Jalopnik covered the story with the title, "How UPS Screwed A Popular YouTube Car Guy Out Of $10,000" with all the gory details about this incredibly frustrating case.

Reports indicate that while it has yet to pay out for the claim for the lost package, UPS had time to auction the item as unclaimed property and for the new buyer to list it on eBay.

This particular instance of a lost package is getting attention thanks to the fact that the customer has a YouTube following. There's a lot to be outraged at in watching the followup video he published on Thursday.

Do you have advice for handling lost packages? What is a buyer or seller to do when a shipping carrier is dragging its feet over an insurance claim?

And do you turn to social media to vent your frustrations over the problems you encounter when buying and selling online?

Perminate Link for What Happens When a Shipping Carrier Loses a Package?   What Happens When a Shipping Carrier Loses a Package?

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 15 22:51:22 2015

What a terrible story. How do these huge companies get so corrupt?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Nov 16 00:18:43 2015

Ripoffreport.com (like it does any good). I also drop administrative names (plucked from Google) and work my way up the food chain. Ongoing problem: getting USPS to scan upon pick-up. Oh, and I will be calling Consumer Affairs yet again for ANOTHER un-scanned package! What good does it do to insure when they don't scan?

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 01:52:23 2015

USPS has procedures for locating MIA packages. I was told that a potential problem is the larger automated centers. Packages can wind up in a bizarre loop, where they wander back and forth between processing centers.

You have to get your post office to make phone calls to get some involvement to manually process the package.

I was fortunate and one of the clerks at my Post Office explained it to me. You have to crack the whip, a little bit to get them to make the phone calls, and sometimes explain the procedure to them.

In reply to Owen, large companies have become corrupt because most consumers have been willing to put up with SLOP WORK.

I can turn into the CONSUMER FROM HE!!, IN A HEART BEAT, IF NEED BE.

I get refunds ALL THE TIME from companies who do not necessarily give refunds for THEIR MISTAKES.

When battling these companies you have to be willing to spend the money and call the TOLL NUMBERS. 1-800 numbers would need to be subpoenaed, in court since "they belong: to the person footing the bill.

I let Paypal know which number I have used, and to date, I have been reimbursed for their mistakes. I can only imagine, the side notes that have been added to my records with them, but figure, it'll keep them on their toes with me.

Going through various agencies is little more than an additional time suck.

Tackle the given business head on, and do so relentlessly. I even tackled an Asian business once, directly that had stolen pictures of mine, and plastered them all over business blogs. The American blog companies policies were unacceptable to me, so I did it myself.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Nov 16 02:20:19 2015

@WatchingtheWheels I admire your tenacity. We seem to have some personality traits in common. :-)

This user has validated their user name. by: epuise

Mon Nov 16 10:51:59 2015

A lesson here: KEEP the RECEIPTS for high value items you PURCHASE.

by: The Grey Fox This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 11:44:34 2015

We use Endicia for postage and insurance. One of the values of using Endicia for insurance is that the fact the package is insured appears nowhere on the shipping label or package as it does with USPS insurance, so there is less temptation for thieves. The packages we've had lost by the Postal Service have generally been large, heavy boxes with, for instance, a set of books, and we've had far more lost after they've been shown leaving the Denver center than anywhere else. Endicia insurance is through PIC, and we've never had a problem with a claim through them.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 17 00:22:24 2015

in defense of the carriers....we have to see how this item was packaged and addressed.  I stand in line at the post office every day to check my packages in and the packaging I see is unbelievable, not secured, addressed terribly, illegible.

"I only insure very expensive items, because IF the carriers were doing their jobs properly, WHY should I NEED to provide additional $$$$ to get my item delivered? I see the insurance as extortion, and have told them so."
I can't agree with this statement..if we thought like this about everything then why get car insurance, I'm a great driver......why get health insurance? I'm healthy and take care of myself.
Things happen, and that's why there is insurance.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 17 10:53:13 2015

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if the USPS was not a government entity, they would have been out of business years ago! They have cost me hundreds of dollars this year in "lost" packages. And just try calling customer service and getting a straight answer out of them. I don't have proof, but I think the USPS and eBay use the same customer service reps! LMFAO