Sun Apr 27 2014 16:12:23

What Do You Think of the New Sell on Etsy App?

By: Julia Wilkinson

Etsy sellers out there, have you tried the new Sell on Etsy app? Yep, Etsy has a new app just for selling, and I love that it will now be so much easier and customized to use my iPhone for creating an Etsy listing. I have tried the app out on my iPhone, which is a 4S, and I am here to tell you I did successfully create a listing with it.

As Etsy says in their blog post introducing the app, it works for iPhones and iPads for now, though as Ina noted in her article, an Etsy spokesperson said it is not optimized for iPad. Anyway, as one of the draws of the app is to truly do an Etsy sellers' tasks on-the-go, I think a lot of sellers are more likely to use it on their phones than on tablets.

So, how did it go with my very first listing? As I said, I was able to create a lsting, for a vintage brooch / necklace combination. However I did experience the app crashing a few times before I got into the selling mode. What I found helpful, was to as soon as the app launches, select one of the options available right away as soon as I saw them - either "Stats," or the four horizontal  lines on the top left for the menu.

Using the menu, I simply went to "Your Items" and then to the "+" sign for "Add Item."

I got blown out of the app one time when I went to select when I made the item, but on my second try all the selections went smoothly. Etsy's simple listing process, which has always seemed to me more seamless and user-friendly than eBay's, lends itself well to a mobile phone app, and it was quick enough to fill out the fields needed.

For the purposes of my "test" app listing, I only used one photo, but in the future I plan to take several for each listing. I'm not sure my iPhone 4S camera will be great when it comes to very close-up photos, but it should be adequate for the majority of my listings.

All in all, I'm really glad Etsy came out with an app, and I'm eager to hear what other Etsians think about it. Have you tried it, or if not, do you plan to? An Android phone/tablet version is due out this summer...are there many Droid users out there? Post a comment here!

Perminate Link for What Do You Think of the New Sell on Etsy App?   What Do You Think of the New Sell on Etsy App?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Apr 27 17:07:01 2014

Yes, I am a dinosaur about some things even though I own and use an iPhone, iPod, iPad, can and do text occasionally in spite of my dislike for this communication medium.

Many of the worst listings I see are posted from mobiles.

In general, I firmly believe that at the present time the use of mobiles to buy or sell are detrimental to many sellers.

Many buyers who use mobiles are too frigging lazy to read anything resulting in skyrocketing return rates.

Sellers who use mobiles often find it too cumbersome to write a decent description or fill in ebay's annoying item specifics so we end with:

"Up for auction is this beautiful lamp." Dark, out of focus photo(s).

I believe the PC and the larger format marketplaces can use to more effectively present product are far better suited to some if not most buying.

The exception would if a buyer thoroughly checked out an item on a PC and then decided the following day to buy and did so with a mobile.

I vote against all mobile listing apps.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Sun Apr 27 17:39:42 2014

When I see any manufacturer create a listing via a mobile communication device - I'll rush out (or stay in & click) and get one of those things.

I've got better things to do when "I'm mobile" apologies to The Who.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Sun Apr 27 17:40:58 2014

Then again -

who says sellers aren't lazy too.

Equal opportunity, eh?

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 04:52:42 2014

I never use mobile for business, not for buying not for listings. Why should I strain my eyes on tiny displays when I have a beautiful 25" monitor + it is more efficient. If you are serious about your business, you don't conduct it on an iphone.

This user has validated their user name. by: SylvaRocks.net

Mon Apr 28 07:03:52 2014

I can understand where people would use their mobile units to purchase, although I have never done so.

However, for creating listings, there's no way I would ever do it.  For me to create listings, I need to sit at my desk, in front of my dual monitors, with access to my recently edited pictures, and my Excel spreadsheet of recently adjusted pricing and do the job right.

Trying to create a quality listing on your smartphone makes as much sense to me as sitting down to big ol' steak dinner, and having only a plastic baby spoon to eat it with.  I suppose it's possible, but who the heck would want to when a knife and fork (better tools) are readily available?

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 07:23:56 2014

I totally agree with Ming and Sylva-- a small screen phone, no matter what the brand,  is simply not able to do the intense work that is needed to produce a quality listing.  I've been selling on Etsy for awhile and I admit it, my eyes aren't what they used to be;  consequently it takes me awhile on my big screen to edit  photos, write the listing, do the tags, post the photos and then give it a final look through before  posting.  The writing is just as important as the pictures and most people are fairly illiterate to begin with, so when they're texting on a phone, all the spelling and grammar goes out the window and you can end up with some pretty obnoxious listings that I wouldn't even bother looking at.  Then the sellers write to the Forums (in barely readable comments) wanting to know why they have few or no sales.  You're not allowed to say it (the Etsy PC Police will be all over you like white on rice) but of course they have no sales- their listings suck in so many ways, and it doesn't help that they were produced on a phone that in some cases is smarter than they are.

by: richknobsales This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 09:27:18 2014

The only things I will buy from a cell phone are new in box that I know for sure what I'm ordering. I certainly would not order handmade items. As for listing from my phone - are you kidding? All that typing on the pretend keyboard? Maybe relisting an expired item, or editing a listing on the fly to correct an error that someone emailed about, but creating a listing from scratch? No way! But I will download the app ;)

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 10:08:35 2014

Buy or sell on a cell phone, youd have better luck writing your listing on a grain of rice .... uh-oh .......shouldn't have mentioned that, ebay may try to patent the idea!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Apr 28 12:34:15 2014

I don't sell on Etsy but I sure wish Bonanza or eCrater would come up with mobile formats. I think Etsy's mobile app presents nicely, but their default is too jewelry heavy for my taste. I need to monkey around with the settings.

Although I have relisted eBay items on my tablet, I have not done a start-to-finish listing that way. I may try it sometime just to see what happens. I agree about the phone, tho - it would be hard. Anyone know, does the description section support ''voice'' or dictation?

Now, I do find my lazy self buying more via the phone or tablet - eBay sales income  permitting. I usually have one or the other next to me, too easy to just pick up and bid or buy.

Because of size and photo quality, the tablet is a much more pleasant experience.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 29 00:18:08 2014

For those creating listings on pads wouldn't a keyboard peripheral be useful"

I have one for my iPad, and I love it.

by: Abernathy This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 1 14:52:56 2014

I haven't listed using the Etsy seller app, but the app makes it very easy to check on sales. I like it.

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 4 15:54:59 2014

Once again they focus on iPhones, I'm waiting for the Android app.