Thu Apr 17 2014 10:04:54

EBay Sellers React to New Standards Dashboard Preview

By: Julia Wilkinson

EBay sellers now have a preview of what their performance ratings will look like under the new Seller Standards from the Spring 2014 release by going to this page. So what are sellers saying about the new standards dashboard? Here are some of the top issues I've seen talked about in the online community:

Positive

- They like the new layout

- Relief they are still top-rated

- Anticipation about the the report feature coming soon to the new dashboard preview

Negative

- Defects showing  for cases opened when buyer just wanted to contact seller

- Shipping/Scanning:

- Sellers dinged on shipping/scanning on time even thought they ship within their stated time; concerns this is a Post Office problem and shouldn't affect them

- New DSR's: 3's Counting

- Defects showing that seller says did not occur

- Sellers say buyers opened "not received" cases even if tracking showed it delivered; cases opened prematurely

- People confused about their lookup period (This should be found under defect information)

- People upset about not being able to keep TRS

- Glitches in New Dashboard - numbers in new dashboard don't add up correctly.

- Refunds without a cancellation is a defect - sellers say in some cases they refund for overpaid shipping.

- Buyer requested cancellations showing - sellers advise other sellers to contact eBay to fix these.

Have you looked at your new seller dashboard preview, and what do you think? Post a comment here!

Perminate Link for EBay Sellers React to New Standards Dashboard Preview   EBay Sellers React to New Standards Dashboard Preview

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 11:08:38 2014

Conservative estimates already guess the next "purge" of small sellers by eBay will be about 90,000, will happen by August, and will be largely triggered by the new "Defect Rate" that is being introduced.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 13:25:38 2014

Its ALWAYS the sellers fault - DUH!

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Apr 17 13:49:07 2014

One 'defect' from a woman asking a question as to whether her whatzis had been shipped.

Item shipping and tracking uploaded same day as payment received but eBay 'tracking' was a full day behind USPS Track n Confirm.

I am now officially 'Defective'.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Apr 17 14:32:49 2014

My issue is with cancellations -

''because you don't have the item anymore or you chose not to ship the item after it was sold'' is showing up as the reason.

I have not had a cancellation for ANY of those reasons - my cancellations are 99% returns. I choose the ''return'' choice most often. The one that I remember was not a return was purchased in error & the buyer emailed to ask me to cancel it.
ANY cancellation is going to be a defect after all?

So, pray tell.... I'm getting dinged for accepting returns for any reason???  Or, more likely, am I getting dinged for asking for my fees back if my item does not fit my buyer.

That smells.....eBay needs to disinfect the defects

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 15:20:13 2014

My husband has always said I was defective.

Now Fleecebay has proved it..

I'm defective. Oh well to bad. Moving on.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 15:37:24 2014

My only question, why hasnt somebody come up with a working, hands-off, ADVERTISED, auction site, a money making no-brainer.
I'll be first in line to buy and sell. happy to pay 5% !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Apr 17 18:41:56 2014

"My husband has always said I was defective."

Well, shame on your husband!

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Thu Apr 17 19:09:47 2014

Defect for item not received because the Post Office loses a package is up their in the Top 5 of Ebay's insane policies, IMO.

by: rstpete This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 20:42:12 2014

I have been an ebay seller since 1999 and have always been 100% positive.  Now I see that slipping aways through the dsr system.  Mobile apps are killing me as people do not read descriptions and you can not put any text in the pictures.  I am tired of being the one guilty no matter what happens or who does what.  I am preparing to leave ebay by August.  I can scale back and make due with my website and 3 or 4 lessor online outlets. It's just not worth the stress.  Good luck to you all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Apr 17 21:33:27 2014

In a discussion with a seller outreach team member regarding the defect rate process I pointed out how questions count as claims which become defects is wholly inaccurate and unfair.

The agents response was " wait and see if and how this effects you".

Really?

I asked the agent - if they were walking down on the sidewalk, and there was an accident in the street which had a bus careening out of control and headed straight toward them, would they wait to see if it hit them or would they run to get out of the way and avoid being killed?

The answer was silence.

eBay sellers are running a business, and to be successful must plan ahead, not wait for the eBay "defect" bus to hit them and decimate their business.

Sellers need to be proactive NOW, which means backing their business up and listing with other marketplaces or starting their own web sites if they have a niche unique enough to do so.

The defect rate process is a pending massacre of sellers which eBay is implementing despite the fact that their marketplace is going to face well funded and very serious competition when Alibaba opens 11 Main to the public.

This one two punch virtually assures that eBay will find growth next to impossible to achieve especially during the holiday season when they are extending the window for buyers to initiate claims and return items.

Instead of creating a positive environment for sellers and helping sellers succeed, eBay is focusing on trying  to enhance their bottom line and throwing sellers to the wolves.

Only eBay could be this arrogant and shortsighted.

When eBay becomes a secondary marketplace, management will shoulder the responsibility for the next big dot com disaster.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Thu Apr 17 21:59:01 2014

We'll see if 11Main changes Ebay's actions at all.  I can tell you from my initial experience with 11Main, there is much to be desired.

by: mr-atari This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 00:06:43 2014

the one two punch was forcing all sellers to open "Cases" when they just wanted to ask a question, now sellers get to be penalized for it.  Don't worry, this will go down in the history books as one of the great internet disasters of all time.  I want those of you old enough to remember to ponder eBay's lead in everything .com and now they are 1/2 the market cap of amazon, only twice as large as priceline!!  Amazon is cleaning their clock, the only thing eBay has to differentiate them from the competition is that a buyer can go to eBay and buy almost anything, however they hate that, they hate being the yard sale of the internet, they so badly want to be amazon that they will alienate the sellers that bring texture to their marketplace.  I certainly wish them luck with their drop shipping sellers of iphone cases when they run off the last of us.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 06:27:40 2014

Sure wish I knew where the hell it was that I can run that REPORT (the one that shows specifics of which items had defects) from my dashboard that everyone is talking about.  I see nothing anywhere to initiate it.

Anyone know?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 18 06:48:22 2014

If this isn't set up simply to get rid of small sellers I'm a monkey's uncle.

If it does not apply to Toys r Us and the big boy retailers on eBay it's just a scheme to do just that.

If many thousands more sellers are eliminated due to this "persecution" then that is many thousands of potential buyers that eBay will drive away as well. The arrogance of eBay management is like nothing I have witnessed in my lifetime.

Of course eBay management will bail out of the company like rats fleeing a sinking ship when eBay finally implodes. The company will be broken up and sold off like bits of metal in a scrap yard and someone will pat Donahoe on the back and say "job well done".

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 07:59:23 2014

Ebay is going down as the most insane, mismanaged, misdirected companies in history.  Sellers are sick of the constant changes for the worst.  I sincerely hope it fails....I just do not care anymore.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Fri Apr 18 08:14:29 2014

After looking at a "defect report" which had item IDs I never sold (I record all IDs I sold on MY database), negative FBs (they show 2 - my FB page shows NONE), opened cases, yabba, yabba, yabba do; I called eBay at 0800 figuring it is too late in East Asia & whadda you know, spoke to someone in American English (I'd do Kiwi, Aussie, Queens or even Jamaican BTW) & he acknowledged, after spending 5 minutes looking up my stuff, that they are working out the (my word here) glitches & will pass the info up the food chain.

I worked in DP for 35+ years & you always have bugs in your product. You just don't get the obvious ones and so quickly after a rollout.

The other peeve I have is when you sell a $4 postcard - are you going to send it via a trackable $2 parcel package or send it via letter rate ~$0.45? Well, you get dinged for not being able to track. I guess postcard prices will rise by about $2 or there will be no Top Rated postcard dealers selling on eBay.

To quote "What Happened to Roger Rabbit" - what a bunch of maroons.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 08:45:22 2014

The best part is when you run the history you can tell EXACTLY WHO left the positive with the negative DSR's

My blocked bidder list just grew by two yesterday. The surprising part of the report was one of my best customers regularly left 1 and 2's. Now she can buy elsewhere.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 08:54:22 2014

I found the report url last night. Maybe this will help.

eshopping.promotw.com/globalsellerapp/view.us

It will ask you to sign into ebay. Then you can run the report for the last month or an entire summary.

SECRET DSR'S ARE NO LONGER A SECRET.

by: ebayroadkill This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 11:23:55 2014

A key issue I noted that will keep me from remaining a top rated seller is the number of items claimed defective. This has been a pet peeve of mine as buyers abuse this so badly that it should be a crime. Often it's used in an attempt to extort a partial refund, to return an item "on our dime" as the buyer changed their mind, buyer "borrowed" the item, buyer could not figure out how to turn on the item, or the buyer truly broke the item. One of my most expensive "defective item" returns came back in a factory sealed box.

I am very much for customer satisfaction. I'd go so far as to pay the discounted return postage if the buyer is not happy, provided it does not go against me. Offering a no-questions-asked satisfaction guarantee should be a positive toward our selling record. On the same token, having a buyer abuse the system should not go against our selling record. We should be able to file a problem buyer complaint that actually means something. At least now that the problem buyers can be exposed, we open the doors to be able to sue them.

But let's be real, eBay does not care at this point. They will shoot off their nose in spite of their face - well..... until Wall Street knocks them down. That's all they care about right now, and investors truly do not know that eBay is travelling at Mach 2 directly toward a brick wall. No golden parachute will protect the company at this rate, only the person who is doing the damage.

This is a very good time for a major player to open a competing auction site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Apr 18 13:51:08 2014

It makes no difference to ebay whatsoever what I or anyone else thinks about anything they do.

What other corporation in the world would punish and abuse customers they've identified as The Best?

Brian Burke should be drawn and quartered...very, very slowly.

1 2 3  [Next Page]