Tue Dec 2 2014 14:56:19

How to Research Best Offer Pricing on eBay

A reader sent us a valuable tip on how to determine an eBay item's selling price in cases where a seller accepted a "Best Offer" from a buyer. You may remember that eBay made an unannounced change 2 years ago in which it began hiding the selling price of any item that sold with a "best offer."

eBay used to be an open book when it came to information about transactions on its website, but in the past few years, it has become far less transparent. In some ways, it's understandable - there has been criticism that eBay failed to protect buyers' privacy. Here's what eBay had to say about its move to hide bidder identities on seller feedback pages last year.

But for those who relied on historical eBay data to help them make purchasing and selling decisions, reduced transparency is frustrating.

Here's the tip on how to find Best Offer pricing - note that it's a manual process:

Go to the completed listing and find the PRINT button, click it, and you'll see the Best Offer price that the seller accepted.

You can find the completed listing by searching for the item number, if you have it, or by doing a search for an item and then checking the "completed listings" box in the left column under "Show only."

Do you find this to be helpful in setting your own prices or in deciding what offers to make to other sellers? What other kind of information do you wish was accessible?

How to Research Best Offer Pricing on eBay   How to Research Best Offer Pricing on eBay

by: Jim S. This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 15:44:09 2014

Well, I imagine this will be shut down quickly by eBay now that it is public.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 16:03:13 2014

Nice tip!
mh

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Dec 2 18:01:48 2014

You've always been able to find out all the BIN/BO sale/offer details using the following back-door non-public "purchase history" URL ...

em
number]

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 00:47:12 2014

"What other kind of information do you wish was accessible?"

UR kidding right??

-every single retracted bid/non-payment from a buyer before I am willing to do business with them

-every negative left for a seller for the past 10 years before I do business with them, click-able like MINE is with a huge red number, when you hit feedback left for others

-number of claims (INR, SNAD, all of them)made by buyer before we sell to them.

-every single factor and the percentage of how much it counts towards BEST MATCH (why hide it? If sellers don't want to improve their listings, let them end up selling less, ebay could only profit from revealing these factors)

-Bring back ability to see what else the buyer bought recently

-put the dates back on feedback

-sales reports that actually MEAN something, so they'd be worth running. Like sales by category, auction vs. fixed price, how many sold by best offer. ETCETERA

-Expanded hot list, drill down more by category, to more specific items.

-METRICS, by categories, to tell my which items I have that are not being seen by buyers, and the reason WHY. (price, photos, bad title, what???)

-page views by length of TIME the item has been listed. (page views per day)

-ability to sort my actives by that metric (I will fix them myself)OR just by page view period, I can figure it out by how long it's been up.

-ability to search/advanced and edit in bulk by which items have no international ship price/no international shipping

-ability to advanced search and edit items that show no sales tax.

-bring back the wrong category warning.  That is 100 times more important than the idiotic title recommendations most of which don't even make sense. They have told me to remove the part number from my title for cryin out loud!

I'm sure there are 100 more, can't think of any more, but there are.

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 00:54:20 2014

The problem with using this information is that it doesn't take into account how many other items purchased from that seller that may have impacted the price they are willing to accept. I ran into this problem with a buyer that got mad when I declined his low offer because as he said I had accepted a lower offer from another buyer. He didn't accept my explanation that I was willing to accept a lower offer because that buyer had already purchased over a $100 worth of items that could all be shipped together.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 01:22:49 2014

another way to get approximate Best Offer prices quickly is to sort s list of Sold Items by price. The Best Offer price is used in the sort.

This user has validated their user name. by: WatchCount.com

Thu Dec 4 03:13:16 2014

Wanna see the Best Offer sold-for price right within eBay search results? That'll indeed happen when you start your search at our eBay Classic/Wildcard search tool. Just be sure to select the Completed Items option:

@frustrated: While nearly your entire wish list is out of our reach, we can actually help you with 1 of your requests:
"Bring back ability to see what else the buyer bought recently". Just use our free tool here:

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 09:25:36 2014

@Philip Cohen - Luv ya man!  Thanks for a great tip.  That is much easier than the other way I have found which is by going to other country sites.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 15:18:43 2014

THANK YOU WATCH COUNT!!!!

Can you actually get TO the buyer of similar via your site?

I mean--can you SEE the actual buyer?  So often I have to wonder if these bidders are going to be "Cherry Picking"  and that feature USED to be SO helpful--saved my bacon a few times.  Bought 4--FOUR--biker vests and TRASHED TWO sellers because you were too LARGE to fit into the vests?  That was enough to put OTHER SELLERS in the loop when I used it ON MY FEEDBACK after ebay REFUSED to remove NFB. How this guys WEIGHT became MY problem--I dunno.

Maybe you could team up with Ina and write a Diary about your site???

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 4 15:53:52 2014

THANK YOU WATCH COUNT---I was able to SEE that a recent deadbeat bidder had bid on another item AFTER she bid on mine and have ammo if I should need to complain to ebay--not that this would do me much good but I also have the satisfaction of knowing that it is the BIDDERS loss here.

I was also able to notify the seller of the other item this 0% FB bidder bid on in case they did not get paid.

(And NO-it's NOT the 0% that is the issue---she has 4 whole FB's and NO current ones)

When you go to WATCH COUNT you have to look at the task bar on their site to find the link to do a recent buyer search----love this!