Sun Jan 12 2014 17:26:39

Nominate Your Favorite Collectibles Experts for Interviews

By: Julia Wilkinson

We heard from a reader the other day that he'd like us to write more about antiques and collectibles. (More about that in another blog post). And that was a great coincidence because I had on my list for the new year scaring up more interviews with experts in the antiques and collectibles fields.

But as I do that, it's also a good time to revisit what your interests are, and/or what you sell online these days (they don't necessarily have to be one and the same). So I'd ask you to email me at julia@auctionbytes.com if there are individual experts or interesting people you'd like to see interviewed in your favorite fields.

We will also soon run another survey about what types of things you sell now. Some of you may remember we surveyed you back in 2012. The results can be found here; I was surprised there were such high percentages of China/Porcelain and Pottery/Glass sellers. And the "Other" category came in quite high, at 43.5% (this was "Other" as in "in addition to.").

So I'd like to explore that "long tail" and occasionally touch base on the more obscure niches out there. And, it may be illuminating to see what people report they sell now vs. back in summer 2012.

Also, bear in mind, experts can be either well-known people like Terry Kovel and Judith Miller, both of whom we've interviewed in the past; or they may be, for example, someone with a lot of knowledge and a particularly good blog sharing that information. A quick web search on top porcelain and China experts yields results such as a man in Sweden with a web site explaining Chinese and Japanese Porcelain Marks, among other things; and also a site with a focus on shipwreck pottery, complete with a video showing a 1625 shipwreck.

But you may not care about shipwreck pottery. Maybe your thing is coins, stamps, antique dolls, 1900s toys, or comic books. So email me, or post a comment here, and be sure to look for our new survey about what you sell, coming soon.

Perminate Link for Nominate Your Favorite Collectibles Experts for Interviews   Nominate Your Favorite Collectibles Experts for Interviews

This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww

Mon Jan 13 16:37:43 2014

One of our Facebook group users nominated Dr. Lori Verderame. http://www.drloriv.com/.

Don't forget you can nominate via the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/4210648893/. Or email me at julia@auctionbytes.com. :)

by: treasurehunt This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 14 07:41:03 2014

blogspot.com/

So unusual for a 22 year old to have the vast knowledge of vintage clothing that she has. Most of the women in that field are much older. Such true passion is hard to find in one so young.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 15 11:34:26 2014

Boy!  Not much interest in experts, it appears.

My experts for the vintage and few antique items that I list and sell on the Internet selling sites come from books that were published 30 to 40 years ago.

Most of the factories that made the items I sell closed 70 years ago.  Recently published books have little new information from those written 30 to 40 year years ago.  However, the price on older books are much cheaper than new releases.  Same information just cheaper.  Lucky me!

But I do take great interest in the views of long time established “experts” who share their views on recent trends in the antique and collectable market place.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Thu Jan 16 00:08:03 2014

''Boy! Not much interest in experts, it appears.''

It isn't necessary interest in these topics. I believe that many of these experts are collector of antiques. Many of the stuff is really expensive, you need to have some knowledge, and the ''market'' is close and exclusive. It makes difficult to understand and follow.

For example anybody (collectors, not collector, fans and sport haters) knows that an old trading card from Michael Jordan have some value. Now give someone a 100 years old limited plate and one common $1 plate from Wmart. Only a collector in that area know the difference and potential value.

I collect non-sport cards and comics. I saw a lot of stories from collectors of other stuff. But I don't share their passion in that topic. So more difficult to the common viewers.

Now lets be clear. It is nice the site is offering some other topics than just ''riots'' caused by eBay. lol

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 16 07:57:20 2014

I suspect that part of what's at work here, is the theory that if I tell you what I'm selling/interested in in collectibles, everyone who reads here now becomes competition.

And then there is the "Bully" segment where some people think THEY are the only experts and bully the rest of us for expressing an opinion. (yes it happens even among so-called adults)

Sorry but I'd rather not deal with that so I won't nominate any one because I don't want to subject them to that.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 18 09:25:48 2014

Sorry, do not have a favorite anymore. Use to read and watch the Kovels years ago.
Wonder if there is a collectible market for cell phones, tablets, etc.??? Will there be 10 years from now ?  I read somewhere that some people collect old outdated computers.
Now that I have downsized, I had to eliminate 95% of my antiques and collectibles. My kids didn't want them. I think very few people are into collecting antiques. Only a few specialized items. So sad.