Sun Sept 22 2013 12:36:29

How Do You Feel About Pinterest Promoted Pins?

By: Julia Wilkinson

In a move that seemed inevitable in the world of free Internet services, Pinterest announced it would begin experimenting with ads in the form of promoted pins. The first promoted pins will be just "a few pins in search results and category feeds," according to an email to Pinterest users from CEO and co-founder Ben Silbermann. For example, "a pin for a Darth Vader outfit from a costume shop might be promoted in a search for "Halloween.""

It's not surprising that Pinterest is exploring monetization, what with a group of investors with many millions, including the $100 million in May 2012 led by Rakuten, and including Andreessen Horowitz, Bessemer Venture Partners, and FirstMark Capital, riding on the company.

Silbermann assured Pinterest users that the new promoted pins, "from a select group of businesses," would be "tasteful - no flashy banners or pop-up ads, transparent - we'll always let you know if someone paid for what you see..." and "relevant - these pins should be about stuff you're actually interested in, like a delicious recipe, or a jacket that's your style."

He also said they hoped to keep improving the promoted pins based on users' feedback. "Keep letting us know what you think, and we'll keep working to make things better."

Wherever the Pinterest promoted pins are, the company seems to have kept to their promise that their initial appearance will be modest in scope; I couldn't find any in searches for "Halloween" or "Christmas." And in keeping with that, no Pinterest users seem bothered by the announcement.

From anecdotal evidence I've read on various forum hangouts of online sellers, Pinterest is one of the more effective forms of social media in helping promote their products. So it doesn't seem as if a step to help keep the service free, carefully done, would ruffle any feathers. (And the AuctionBytes Blog has certainly had its share of fun via the service, when we ran the AuctionBytes Blog Collections Contest a while back).

How do you feel about Pinterest introducing promoted pins? Does it bother you in any way, or are you glad the company appears to be striving to keep the service free with this source of revenue? Do you think Pinterest may eventually go the Youtube route, with particularly successful boards by certain companies or individuals gleaning a share of earned revenue from any promoted pins' views? Post a comment here!

Perminate Link for How Do You Feel About Pinterest Promoted Pins?   How Do You Feel About Pinterest Promoted Pins?

by: Cassie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 05:23:58 2013

I love it the reach for e-bay and especially private website. Can't ask for better now you can make You Tube short commercials and post on pinterest!One Board has all my video ads will be doing more.

Hint time very short as viewed on smartphones!

by: gitasan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 08:41:44 2013

I have actually unpinned any promoted/advertised sites. Not what pintrest is all about. I believe it is for the smaller businesses and folks who just want to organize ideas.  But I guess every thing will eventually be geared to big businesses.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 10:19:56 2013

I did get an email about this, but no where in it did the email mention monetization. So is that reading between the lines or fact from another source?

I have already seen at times what happens when they grab one of my pins to feature (I suppose in one of their email suggesting things you might like to see.) One item got over 140 pins in one day and the other got over 50! I have no problems with them promoting my pins, and if they want to charge for the occasional one, well, I have already seen some of the results if they show things to the right audience. I've tried to use google adwords and never got 50 hits for anything! I do love Pinterest and I think that they are aware of how delicately they have to step to not ruin the whole atmosphere that they have created.

by: Abernathy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 19:20:43 2013

I've been curious to see how this move shakes out. I use Pinterest and haven't noticed a change in what I'm seeing in my feed. I follow several stores who post on Pinterest, and it's possible that Pinterest could partner with those stores to make my time more effective when I visit their boards (or find their items in my feed.) Those sellers' Pinterest boards are already more fun and a lot easier than going directly to their websites.

by: G-and-A This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 23 21:55:35 2013

I haven't noticed any promotional pins.  Either they really are "tasteful" and unobtrusive, or they have not begun to use them yet.  :)

At the beginning, Pinterest founder said they were going to figure out a way to monetize it.  I am happy to see them do this, so that Pinterest will survive.  Just so they still allow us to use it for free!