Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Julia Wilkinson AuctionBytes Blog

Julia Wilkinson is Editor of the AuctionBytes Blog and is author of the "eBay Price Guide," "eBay Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks," "My Life at AOL" and numerous ebooks about selling online. You can also find her writing on Yard Salers.
Thu July 11 2013 13:48:19

What Would Entice You to Sell on a New Site?

By: Julia Wilkinson
Since blogging about the results of the Multi-Channel Selling Poll, I've learned about several new online selling sites. I'm wondering how many of you have heard of them too, or started to use any of them.

Another question: with a very new site, such as one still in beta, how much time and energy would you devote to selling on such a venue, given that it is unclear the site will gain traction?

One example of a new site I recently learned of is Okanjo, which is still in beta. Other new/smallish venues are sites such as Picsity, Storenvy, Tictail, Copious/Shopcopious, Dawanda, Folksy, and InstantFinder. (Thanks to David Salerno on LinkedIn, main store at Salerno's Jewelry Store on eCrater) for bringing these to my attention).

I took a brief look at each of these sites, and these are my initial impressions. I'd love to get yours, too.

- Dawanda and Folksy - both appear to be based outside of the US; Folksy is subtitled "Modern British Art."

- Picsity. This is like a Pinterest where you can buy or sell the items that are pinned. This seems to be a good idea to me, off the bat. However I found the signup process slightly confusing...did I need to create a "business" account to be able to sell, or should I create a "personal" account if all I was going to do is buy? I created a personal account, and I could see a way to buy but not sell. Perhaps this could be explained better at signup, unless I missed it.

- Storenvy seemed aimed at making creating a store fun and easy, and I could appreciate that, though I did not at this time go all the way through that process. I did, however, find things to "Envy" (similar to a Facebook "Like") in the Women's Dresses section - http://www.storenvy.com/shop/category/womens-dresses/.

I started to create a store, but did not go all the way through with it due to lack of time. (This raises the point, if you in fact create stores on all these smaller sites, will you have time to manage them all?).

- (Back to) Okanjo. This appears to be another site trying to make online selling and shopping more fun, with the main categories ""Buy happier," "Sell," and "Give." What caught my eye when I first saw the home page was they were offering a way to buy tickets to a sold-out Paul McCartney show.  Listing is free on the site, and you list from the direction, "What would make someone want to buy this item?"

It reminded me of the old Facebook Marketplace's "Why are you selling it?"

Among others, there is also Copious, on tumblr at http://shopcopious.tumblr.com/about-us ("Discover the Things You Love. Sell the Things You Don't."). So there appears to be no lack of would-be competition for the behemoth eBay or the, well, amazon that is Amazon. The question is, will these sites gain enough traction to be serious competition?

Had you heard of any of these lesser-known selling sites? What would you add to the list that isn't there? What would it take to make you expend the effort to join a new selling venue...free listing, very small fees, ease of listing, other? Post a comment here!

What Would Entice You to Sell on  a New Site?   What Would Entice You to Sell on a New Site?
by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.
Thu Jul 11 15:31:09 2013
Nothing really, its hard enough to sell on the more established alt sites.

They would probably need to have no joining or listing fee and some way of attracting / guaranteeing thousands of buyers.
by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 16:53:02 2013
Nothing so far. (I have tried it. I might just as well go back to selling out of local antique co-ops.)
by: oddswop This user has validated their user name.
Thu Jul 11 17:06:38 2013
We're also trying to crack the market so it's a bit disconcerting to hear that there is nothing that would make you switch... I do hope one day we can change your mind!  We'll be launching in Australia (and Sydney only for that matter) soon so we do get the thousands of buyers which are required.  We aren't really an ebay competitor as we only focus on local sales and discovery.
This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Jul 11 17:36:02 2013
What would entice me to a new site?

Accept the same categories that eBay, eCrater or Bonanza does.

Zero to low fees while getting established.

Multiple payment options for buyers.

Visible evidence of buyers and sellers flocking there like lemmings. Buyers buying, sellers selling - and lots of both..

That people have actually heard of the site - the word of mouth factor that the site is a must-see.

That's a start.
by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.
Thu Jul 11 18:42:49 2013
@ oddswap

Nice intro video, best of luck with your new venture.
by: lonestar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 21:51:32 2013
That's a tough question to answer since I've been burned more than once by sites that promised way more than was delivered.

A site must advertise, and the owners must be honest with both sellers and buyers.  I have no problem with reasonable fees but part of those fees must be spent to attract buyers.  Never, ever, allow big retailers to sell or advertise on the site.  These are a few of my favorite things.

This user has validated their user name. by: Screaming Banshee

Thu Jul 11 21:55:12 2013
Sales.

Consistent sales. Even an average of one a day would entice me to invest the time in setting up shop.

Sales.
by: trigon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 22:03:23 2013
I'd need to see a track record of sales and buyers. Any new venue is a large investment of my time and energy, so I'm not going to give it a try unless it looks like there's a reasonable expectation of some sort of success. Beyond that, low fees and ease of use are features I'm looking for.
by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 22:12:24 2013
If they want you to advertise through facebook or other social media for them, then who needs them. Sell to your ''friends'' followers on the social sites directly. For some reason, no one really likes to spend dollars on advertising. Think maybe those that start a new site is just a get rich quick before it goes under.
by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 22:15:29 2013
Ese of use. Ecrater has kept me away due to ridiculous shipping deals and general weirdness. A site should be very easy to get started at and have real dealer help.NO FEES ON SHIPPING! No listing fees. Flexible payment options. Do not make delivery my responsibility.
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 11 22:18:12 2013
I haven't heard of any of the sites mentioned in this article. Hope they know that sellers complain about lack of sales on the alt selling sites already established.

As far what attributes would attract me to sell on a new site: No listing fees, no or low FVFs, a wide variety of categories, multiple ways to pay (not PayPal only), and the promise of advertising to get buyers to visit the site. Also, policies established up front that will not change every couple of months. And seller protection.
by: letstalkturkey This user has validated their user name.
Thu Jul 11 22:27:03 2013
SALES!! Tried and true. Ebay has so many rules you need a lawyer to sell your unwanted stuff. Ruby Lane is slow, but I hang in there. New fees made for less traffic this year. And do not get me started about shipping fees!!! Off the hook! I have returned to the shows & flea markets and sales are promising. Less expense for me and the buyer. Gas is down & shipping is up. Today, 2 vegetable bowls and 6 goblets cost $55. from PA to TX??  I can drive to & set up locally for less $$ & more sales. Watch out virtual stores. Better lobby to get shipping costs down!!
This user has validated their user name. by: DonC
Thu Jul 11 22:44:06 2013
Traffic! Thus far Ebay and Amazon have the traffic. Unfortunately they are both a PITA.

If I am going to generate my own traffic it goes to my Yahoo store.
by: Small Guy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 22:51:02 2013
Consensus that one site has emerged as being easy to use, has traffic, and customers that buy in a genuine auction format and is rising in popularity.
by: bunnspec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 22:52:49 2013
Nothing, I'm doing great at the flea market just wandering around selling what's in my fishing vest-what I am getting is about what I would get after costs and expenses WITHOUT the aggravations of S&H, DSRs and lost discounts..
by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 22:53:37 2013
Traffic ... Sales ... Low fees (and don't do stupid stuff like charging a FVF on shipping!) ... NO IMPORTS or RESALE CRAP (limit it to real stuff from real people).
by: WhoKnewIt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 23:07:08 2013
Nothing....I'm tired of being lied to and tired of being used.  I spent nearly a year of my life helping an "up and coming" site only to wake up one morning and find it had been "sold" to Bonanza.  Never again...while Etsy isn't the best it's the "least dishonest" and pretty much what you put into it you get back.  EBay sucks...left there a few years ago and have never been happier with that decision.
by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 11 23:44:05 2013
NO FEEDBACK! I'm more interested in selling not being manipulated and controlled. No fees. I would like traffic otherwise I'm not interested.
Wish Google and eBay didn't control all the visibility. It's time for some major changes and nothing will change unless we make the first move.
by: Anjya This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 12 00:10:10 2013

For me it would be automatic upload of inventory.  Most online sales sites don't have it or if they do it doesn't work properly.  If you have a large inventory it can be a very daunting task to have to cut and paste each and every item over to another website.  I know, I've done it and it took me over a year, including the pictures.  Then of course there is the basics, most important of which is traffic.  Without a steady steam of traffic coming to the site all the sellers efforts are wasted.
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 12 02:20:48 2013
Really?

There are on line selling sites other than ebay?

Who knew?