Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)

Sat Apr 20 2013 17:54:28

How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?

By: Julia Wilkinson
As you know if you read Mark O'Neill's piece about Vine, you know it's short video clips for people with short attention spans. You might say it's the "Twitter of Video." Or, some people are calling it the "Instagram of Video." As Mark mentioned, even though these videos are short, they can be fun to watch and very addicitive. The question is, will sellers be able to use these quickie movies as a way to market their wares?

I already found at least one eBay seller who made a Vine video to showcase his product in a unique way. In some of Kyle De Burca's videos on Vine, he presents some of the soccer jerseys he sells. Here is his vine for a soccer jersey for a Liverpool player named Morrison.

This Vine video is done well for an item for sale. Notice how he uses six different views of the jersey: the first showing a full view of the whole shirt on a hanger; the second a closeup of the "Liverpool" crest; the third the "adidas" brand logo; the fourth the "Carlsberg" name anf logo; the fifth showing the name of the player, "Morrison," and his number clearly; and the last showing the striped detail on the sleeve.

De Burca also has some unobtrusive but upbeat music playing in the background; just enough volume to give the video a more fun feel. (Not unlike how retail stores pipe in
music to make shoppers want to buy).

By my count, De Burca has five videos of different types of soccer (aka football if you're not from the U.S.) jerseys. I think this kind of video post would be especially helpful for sellers who sell similar types of merchandise rather than one-off items; for example, if you mainly sell soccer jerseys, you can have a set way of making these videos down pat. And if you sell multi-quantity items, or the same items over and over, you can keep this vine up and running indefinitely as a promotion.

You can share a Vine post on Twitter, or embed it on a page. Here is a Vine blog post explaining different ways you can embed Vine videos.

I didn't find so many eBay sellers using Vine, but remember the tool is new, and you can only make the videos on the iPhone for now. But I am sure that will change, and it
will be available on all major platforms soon enough.

I suggest you cruise around Vine and see all the creative thing people are doing with these six precious seconds; you'd be surprised how much you can pack into that! My own attempt at creating a Vine video focuses on the art I have up in my eBay Store. Remember, it's an amateur effort!

Have you tried Vine yet? What creative ways would you use it, or what are some of the best Vines you've viewed? Post a comment here!

How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?   How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?
This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Sun Apr 21 05:44:50 2013
Julia has a job to do but...
There goes the neighborhood. :-(

People lose more friends than they make pushing all their stuff on social media.

If people like your stuff as much as you, it would all be sold by now.

Is there a way to use social media to sell without alienating followers?
How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?   How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?
This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Mon Apr 22 09:56:08 2013
@ed while Vine is a social app on the iphone, the resulting short videos can be embedded into a regular webpage (like the examples above) - or perhaps even a listing page (like ebay or your own website).

I usually avoid such things, BUT a tiny little video that actually gives me a quickie view of the item is rather efficient.  if I don't have to hunt for more pics, it's a good thing.

I like it.  low bandwidth, quick, easy, and useful.

btw, I once sold an animatronic toy and made a little youtube video for the ebay listing.  it was VERY effective and instantly answered all the questions.
How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?   How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Mon Apr 22 10:27:42 2013
>>Please stop showing us the 1980 dress patterns you are selling. We want to see more pictures of your grandchildren, pets, backyards and half eaten lunches.

Is there a way to use social media to sell without alienating followers? <<

As a pattern seller, over 8000 listed at this point, I will try to remember not to push any from 1980 on you. LOL! And I wish I had a grandchild to send pictures of!

I do want to comment on using social media without alienating customers. For me and what I sell, I found that Pinterest is the best place. http://pinterest.com/gailetesews/  Not only can I show a sampling of the patterns I have for sale, I also have boards for sewing room ideas, sewing notions, sewing projects, crochet and other needlecrafts, sewing blogs, quilts and quilting, etc. I also have many non-sewing related boards. If you don't like sewing then you either don't follow the sewing related boards or any of my boards, it is your choice what you want to see. My customers can see that I'm not a pattern seller that only looks at patterns like they are a commodity, but something I understand and use as well. I am a sewer and have my own projects posted. Currently I have 260+ followers. The last time I checked google analytics, Pinterest is in fifth place for sending me traffic. Obviously I'm not turning all people off with my social media. I rarely even go to Facebook at this point.

I do know what you mean though, when I went to FB daily there always seemed to be someone that had 30-40 posts of everything they had for sale. Nothing about them or whether the sun was shining in their area. A few posts about what you are selling mixed in with some personal stuff isn't bad, but after that it is too much. I think it depends on what you are selling how you should incorporate social media and how many posts you make. This is just how I do it.
How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?   How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?
This user has validated their user name. by: Forestt

Mon Apr 22 13:37:55 2013
I think social media might be able to boost sellers of unique hand crafted items but for those running a business selling items that already have videos and manufacturer pages, it seems like a huge waste of time. Most buyers of my product do their comparitive analysis and then search based on price+shipping.

Social media all depends on if you're in real business or if you're just turning a hobby into some extra cash. In my case, it would cost a small fortune to make videos for every item I carry in my online store. I simply can't add those time related promotional costs into my bottom line where customers shop by price over uniqueness.
How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?   How Can Online Sellers Harness Vine?
This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Tue Apr 23 09:57:47 2013
HEY JULIA: What a great topic to enjoy.

I am sure that will change, and it
will be available on all major platforms soon enough AND SHALL LOOK FORWARD TO IT TOO.

Goodreads!