Fri Dec 20 2013 11:51:39

How Would Amazon Offering Retail In-Store Items Affect You?

By: Julia Wilkinson

In an article yesterday, Ina asked, "What If Amazon Opened Its Marketplace to Retail In-Store Inventory?" Some sellers reacted with worry; others were less concerned. "I cannot see this being a good thing," said a couple of sellers on an online forum.

The move was compared to eBay's tie-in with retailers using eBay Now, where customers buy from a retailer via eBay but then go to a local store to pick it up.

But one seller wrote on Facebook that there were several reasons sellers should not be afraid of this happening more on Amazon (or eBay) because:

-  Customers who shop online (don't) want to drive to the store
- "Customers still need to wait in line at customer service to pick up n sign the receipt (still a hassle)"
- Stores would now have to cut their margin because they have to pay Amazon and eBay fees
- "Local stores do not carry extension of inventory"
- eBay buyers still want to bid (some, anyway...)
-  "Stores will not do auction...."
Not to mention,  "Etc. lol."

The question was prompted by the news that Amazon acquired GoPago, "a company whose point-of-sale solution links merchants and consumers in-store, online and via mobile devices." It was compared to eBay's acquisition of eBay acquired Milo, which technology eBay integrated  into the eBay.com platform "to provide consumers with access to millions of products from 50,000 brick-and-mortar stores, and it powers eBay Now same-day delivery."

While the prospect of competing with many more retailers on Amazon is daunting, it may not be the Goliath that some sellers may fear. And more and more sellers are also realizing it's not a good idea to have all their product eggs in one basket.

As for in-store pickup, as a somewhat lazy shopper myself, I can't understand the appeal of having to drive to go get an item I bought when I could simply have it shipped to me. Unless I was in a big hurry, in which case I would probably just drive to the store in the first place.

If you sell on Amazon, are you worried about such a possibility of many more retail stores listing their inventory online? And do you think these retailers would take the trouble of sending inventory to FBA, thereby adding more competition to those offerings? How much has the advent of retailers selling directly on eBay impacted you? Or, are you like one seller said, not worried, because you sell antique and vintage items, or other items that wouldn't be affected? Post a comment here!

Perminate Link for How Would Amazon Offering Retail In-Store Items Affect You?   How Would Amazon Offering Retail In-Store Items Affect You?

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 21 09:08:54 2013

See no reason to buy on Amazon and then drive to the store with all the hassle associated with the same.
Makes no sense. If you have to or want to go to the store - why even bother looking online?  Don't see it hurting anyone except the retail stores that have to pay Amazon.

by: giftcentral This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 21 10:29:28 2013

Not sure why retailers would want to sell on Amazon since retailers already have their own websites.  Selling on Amazon would result in fees that eat into their profit.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 22 10:22:36 2013

@giftcentral

Retailers would sell on Amazon for the same reason they sell on Fleabay. Its called $$$$$$

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 22 23:54:12 2013

I shop on line because it is difficult for me to get out of the house in the first place. Why would I order something on line and then go pick it up at a store. Not only do I have physical problems, I live in snow country. It is safer to stay home than drive to shop for much of the winter for me.

I sell on line and my product line are patterns that are now mostly out of print, so not available in stores which makes my goods unique.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Dec 23 14:44:22 2013

I usually only do in-store pickup for heavy items or appliances. I save money by using online coupon codes, then pick up the item to save on shipping costs. A couple of large brothers to do the heavy lifting and a borrowed pickup truck can save a bundle. Most of the time, though, there's no good reason to pick up in the store. Much easier and more convenient to have stuff delivered.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 12:17:38 2013

Amazon dipping its sticky fingers into an already tight profit margin......