Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Julia Wilkinson AuctionBytes Blog

Julia Wilkinson is Editor of the AuctionBytes Blog and is author of the "eBay Price Guide," "eBay Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks," "My Life at AOL" and numerous ebooks about selling online. You can also find her writing on Yard Salers.
Tue Mar 20 2012 13:32:53

How to Pick Antiques Like the Pros: Picker's Bible

By: Julia Wilkinson
Recent TV shows like the History Channel's "American Pickers," where buddies Mike and Frank comb the back roads of the U.S., plucking rusty old Americana from obscurity and turning it into collector glory, has made this particular type of treasure-hunting known as "picking" more popular. (In the case of Mike and Frank, the treasure is often in the form of old oil cans and bicycles, but there's something for everyone out there).

In the "Picker's Bible" (Krause Publications), professional picker Joe Willard shares secrets of scouring all sorts of locations, from private homes to swap meets to thrift stores, for this previously undiscovered treasure, and how to buy and sell (and, in some cases, re-sell) those items for decent money.

Reading the book was like sitting down with an old friend who was willing to brain-dump all his accumulated years of experience into practical lessons over a cup of coffee. And as a picker "character" myself, I could identify with some of the emotional and other traps he warns of: hoarding, getting too attached to your "stuff," not turning over your stuff quickly enough, not always being discerning enough when buying items, etc.

One of the points he emphasizes is how deep any given niche can go, and how important it is to specialize, so you have enough knowledge to trade successfully in a certain type of collectible. He introduces us to the concept of the "Buried Pyramid," where when you first get interested in a certain field, you start learning a little about it, and are at the very top of the pyramid. As you dig deeper, more and more you didn't know about the field opens up, and "you discover your pyramid is larger than you imagined."

He also introduces the layperson (or lay-picker, if you will) to picker concepts such as "parlaying," or taking profit from one sale and re-investing it in another, more expensive item; and that item is then sold for still more. And so on.

There are also good tips about getting your name and list of "wanteds" out there, including some unique techniques I hadn't thought of, such as taking business cards and "wanted" lists with you to tack up on local bulletin boards whenever you travel.

There's a strong emphasis on reading widely in your given field or fields; to always be learning. And on that note, I think this conversational book, at $14.99, is a good investment in any up-and-coming picker's reference library.

If you sell antiques and collectiles, do you consider yourself a "picker"? Have you ever trolled back roads and obscure places for items to sell? (Maybe even a dumpster or stuff on a curb? Shhh...don't tell!). Post a comment here!

How to Pick Antiques Like the Pros: Picker's Bible   How to Pick Antiques Like the Pros: Picker's Bible
by: EssexEstateServices This user has validated their user name.
Tue Mar 20 16:30:10 2012
I discuss this topic and other popular TV shows like Pawn Stars and Hoarders on my eBay Guide. Link above.
by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 21 10:20:21 2012
Sounds like a very interesting book. I'll have to read it. I guess I am a picker. I find things in all kinds of places. I haven't gone dumpster diving, though, LOL.

I go to all kinds of sales, thrift stores, etc. I try to go early for the best selection, but you can't go early to every sale. I have found some very surprising and ordinarily pricey things left over at the end of sales. I am lucky that I have a pretty broad background in collectibles and can spot some obscure items that others don't recognize.

The hunt is always fun.
by: Stu This user has validated their user name.
Wed Mar 21 12:44:54 2012
I put some feelers out once for something I was considering selling. I didn't get offers that I liked, and so I held on to it. I told a friend that it had nostalgic value. He responded, ''Well, you know what nostalgia is worth in dollars, right?''

It's true -- as entrepreneurs we need to be careful about becoming attached to our things. They provide us no monetary value just sitting there.
by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 21 16:35:32 2012
I really have to make sure I check things over very carefully. Sales and thrift store don't have the best lighting and things that are dirty often hide problems, plus most of the time the sales are overcrowded, you pick up an item and hang on to it or put it in your shopping bag until it's time to check out, so there isn't much time to gaze at the item. Many times I will purchase something which I think is fine and will come home, go over it with a loupe and find all kinds of flaws. I don't like to sell things with flaws so they go into the trash. It's way too obvious to go to sales with a loupe. But I do wish I had a magic eyeball.

I will usually not buy anything that comes from a smoking environment, unless I can be certain I can clean it. Items that have a smoke smell do not sell well at all.

Bringing a small flashlight with you is always a good idea.
This user has validated their user name. by: silent anarchy

Wed Mar 21 20:26:14 2012
I  deal with collectables,low end antiques and vintage militaria . I used to hit yard sales/garage sales every weekend but in the last few years there hasnt been much to find. As a rule as soon as i see baby clothes/toys or boxes of kitchen ware when driving by i keep going. I live in upstate NY. I have better luck during spring cleanups at towns.
by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 21 21:29:46 2012
I used to think that too, however, I have been quite surprised at some of the finds at sales I thought were useless from the road view. Sometimes, they are selling grandpa or grandma's priceless vintage collectible right along with the baby clothes. You just never know what you might find.

AB Blog Recent Posts