Covering auctions, collectibles and marketplace selling.
Julia Wilkinson is Editor of the AuctionBytes Blog and is author of the "eBay Price Guide," "eBay Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks," "My Life at AOL" and numerous ebooks about selling online. You can also find her writing on Yard Salers.
|Sat Dec 1 2012 17:07:05|
Which Shipping Service Is Right for You?
By: Julia Wilkinson
|In Sunday's EcommerceBytes Update newsletter, we are publishing the results of our Shipping Survey. You told us about all the various carriers you used, and also quite a few of you extolled the virtues of the good ol' USPS. But we also wanted to take a look at some of the shipping services out there, see what they had to offer online sellers, and what might make a seller decide to use one vs. another for their specific needs.|
We asked which shipping services you currently use, and found many respondents use more than one service.
We also asked why you use the shipping service that you use most regularly - and found that "conveninece" beat out "cost"!
If you use one of these services, we'd love to hear what you think about them...post a comment here on the blog, or leave a rating in the ECB Ratings & Reviews under "Shipping Services."
Here are some of the key features of the major shipping services that responded:
- Endicia customers have printed over $8 billion in postage using its shipping and mailing software.
- Integrates into most ecommerce software systems in use today, with a broad network of over 200 partners.
- Has a custom solution for military addresses such as APO; you can read more about that here.
- Says it supports the widest array of USPS products and services at the best rates.
"We focus on offering the most reliable and best performing solutions: shipping software has to work, and it has to work 24x7, especially at this critical time of year," said Amine Khechfe, General Manager and co-founder of Endicia.
ShipStation (one of the apps by Auctane)
- Combines order processing, production of shipping labels, and customer communication in an easy to use, web-based interface that integrates directly with major carriers and online marketplaces.
- 30 day free trial.
- Connects with over 30 marketplaces and shopping cart solutions.
- Works with USPS, FedEx, UPS, and more.
"Our goal is to remove headaches for online retailers by simplifying their shipping process," said Jason Hodges, founder of Auctane.
- Cloud connectivity to over 40 marketplaces, including Amazon, eBay, PayPal, and Yahoo! Stores.
- Certified provider of FedEx, FedEx SmartPost, UPS, UPS Mail Innovations, USPS (including Endicia, Express1, Stamps.com) and DHL Global Mail.
- Batch process thousands of shipping labels (domestic and international) with a single click. Automatically print packing slips, email customers, and post back tracking information and shipment details to each sales channel.
- Monthly fee, starting at $14.95 per month, first 30 days free.
"ShipWorks is a multi-carrier shipping solution that helps online sellers ship more in less time by eliminating manual processes and automating post-sale tasks," said Richard Perry, VP of Business Development at ShipWorks.
- $15.99 per month, currently offering a 4-Week trial, $25 in postage coupons, a free digital scale, $5 supplies kit.
- Print stamps, shipping labels, envelopes and more; calculates and prints official, USPS postage for anything from postcards to packages, domestic or international. Print postage right on envelopes.
- Save up to 62% on all Express Mail shipments, up to 15% on Priority Mail shipments, and up to 15% on First Class Package Service.
- Shipping internationally, Stamps.com saves you up to 5% on Priority Mail International shipments and up to 8% for Express Mail International.
- Save on shipping insurance - up to 40% over USPS package insurance rates with Stamps.com insurance.
"Our software eliminates the need for manual data entry by automatically retrieving your order data from eBay, Amazon.com, Paypal, Etsy, Yahoo!, Google Checkout and even your own shopping cart. Stamps.com will also post-back shipping details and order data to your eBay or Amazon store. Stamps.com also lets you hide the postage value on your labels (to avoid customer questions) and even generates return shipping labels at your customer's request," said Eric Nash, Director of Online Marketing for Stamps.com.
What do you think of the various shipping services? What features stand out for you in choosing one? Do you use one of the ones listed here, a different one, or no extra shipping service? Post a comment here!
Comments (8) | Permalink
Login is required to post comments.
To sign in to leave a comment using your AB Verify User Name, fill in the form below. If you have not yet signed up for AB Verify, or if you'd like more information, go to the Registration Page.