Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Julia Wilkinson AuctionBytes Blog

Julia Wilkinson is Editor of the AuctionBytes Blog and is author of the "eBay Price Guide," "eBay Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks," "My Life at AOL" and numerous ebooks about selling online. You can also find her writing on Yard Salers.
Thu Oct 4 2012 14:26:09

eCrater Sellers Can Get Traffic and Earn with Google AdSense

By: Julia Wilkinson
I hadn't been on eCrater for a while so I caught up with founder Dimitar Slavov to see what was new. Slavov said he'd like to remind sellers to link their AdSense account with their eCRATER store so that they get more traffic from Google Shopping. (There are a few caveats, like you have to have at least 5 active products, so check the details).

Another thing that's new is they recently launched a Facebook app "that allows our merchants to gain Facebook fans directly from their stores. They can also post their store items to their store pages," said Slavov.

Why wouldn't an eCrater seller want to potentially make more money and get more traffic by not taking advantage of these features? I couldn't think of a reason, other than simply inertia, and finding the time in the super busy task-filled days we all seem to have now.

What I like about eCrater is both its intimate environment, and also that when you create a presence on there, you're not just an online seller, but you essentially have a web store. This enables you to do nifty things like actually make money from the ads that run on your store (with the aforementioned Google AdSense), rather than the owning entity doing all the earning.

I've just started to build an eCrater store, so I'm new to the environment. But while eCrater certainly does not get the massive traffic of an eBay, I like that it's free, you can earn AdSense money, and also that Google Wallet is available as a payment option.

Do you shop, or sell, on eCrater, and what do you like (or not) about the marketplace? Post a comment here!

eCrater Sellers Can Get Traffic and Earn with Google AdSense   eCrater Sellers Can Get Traffic and Earn with Google AdSense
by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 4 14:47:57 2012
We have a store with about 500 items.

They have been collecting dust there for the past 14 months. We have had exactly 2 sales.

The reason we stay is obvious. Its free so why not.
by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.
Thu Oct 4 15:00:11 2012
I only heard of eCrater after I started selling on other venues. I never even heard of it to shop from and I am geek on the computer. My items aren't a fit(handmade) but if no one knows about a site...[fill in the blanks]
by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.
Thu Oct 4 21:44:07 2012
I found the store look very sterile.
I got more sales from ebid.net and bonanza.
But its free and its not ebay!
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Oct 4 23:53:23 2012
I've had a store on eCrater since I left eBay in February 2008. It's only been in the last two years that I really got serious about adding items to my store. I now have over 2,500 and I get sales basically every one to two days. After years of constantly increasing fees on eBay, it's so nice to have a free site, which helps to keep prices down. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that when you go to the administrative section to handle your listings, you have a limited number of pages of items you can jump to. This has only been a problem when the post office changes their rates and all the listings have to be revised, and I have to keep clicking over and over to get to a page to change. Other than that, they don't make constant changes, and they don't tell us what payments to take or what shipping speed we have to adhere to, and if a buyer leaves an unwarranted negative feedback, there's someone who'll listen to the seller's side of the argument.
by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 5 00:00:20 2012
Their shipping matrix is criminally insane. Google ad sense is a difficult mess and using it is not for everyone.
This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles
Fri Oct 5 00:20:43 2012
@Julia Wilkinson, there is some confusion in your article. There are 2 different types of linking. The Adsense account is to get revenue from the Google Ads and the Adwords account to be promoted in the Google Shopping.

I joined in the Adsense thing in June 2011. I made near $6 only from the eCrater store.

I sell in the site. I will not tell ''fairy tales'' or ''gold fever'' stories like others. I'm a part time seller and I  make some sales (not hundreds like others) in the site.

The 1rst thing is that eCrater isn't eBay. It isn't an auction site. It is a fix price or BIN.

If you want sales. You need to promote yourself like all the ''Alternatives''. The site is very friendly with the search engines after they catch your store, but it takes some time. So just posting some items and never return will never get you sales. Also you need to be very good using the words in tittle and description. A lot of new users just import items from eBay and never see the 100 character that can be used in the tittle.

As a seller the most problematic thing in the site is the Shipping Matrix. The best is the forum. It is very friendly with good support from other sellers.

You have the availability to use Google Analytics.

If you want to sell in eCrater. Read 1rst their Terms. There a lot of people that don't care to read and believe the site is a freeway without limits. Some get suspended for duplicates and for offering payments methods not supported in the site.

As a buyer. I never manage to complete a transaction because in some cases sellers don't answer e-mails/message or there store look abandoned. So if you don't want to be anymore in the site. Please put the store on hold or closed. Thanks.

PD
The site doesn't allow HTML in the descriptions for that reason it is so fast to download in your computer.
This user has validated their user name. by: TheUglySweaterShop
Fri Oct 5 01:02:20 2012
We use ecrater for our "back end". Despite a high volume of page views, we have yet to have an Adsense payout after over a year of participation in that program, so I'm not sure how much of a "revenue stream" that really is.

But sales-wise we've been pleased with ecrater--much higher page views and sales volume than our experiences with eBay.

We do market our store online so it has an organic web presence. But we don't buy Adwords, we don't pay to be seen in Google Shopping, etc. We've found Wanelo, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest work just fine for reaching our customer base.
by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 5 01:17:23 2012
I sold $600 plus on eCrater in September, not eBay money, but a welcome addition.  I promote eCrater with every eBay shipment and every email to eBay buyers.  I offer incentives to my eBay buyers to shop on eCrater.  I also promote it on Pinterest.  All these things take very little effort, and the payback is worth it.
by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.
Fri Oct 5 06:38:26 2012
Ecrater has millions of inactive stores that appear active. They refuse to close them Leaving customers getting burned If they pay without making sure its a live store. I sold well my 1st year there several years ago,opened 2nd store. Last 2 years sold 1 item.moved to another site selling much better.still have stores at crater , why? Good question lol  I dont like that I wasnt allowed to say check for availablity in my listings , yet they refuse  to remove the millions of inactive stores letting the public to continue getting burned from all the inactive stores. Most of my stuff is on another site now just have photos and erotica at crater now.
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Fri Oct 5 10:50:17 2012
I have been selling on ecrater since 2008 when I left ebay for good. We have sold close to 5000 items, obviously ecrater works for us! We do promote our store, we work on having great listings and pictures. We participate in the
Adsense program and in conjunction with my blog, we are now getting checks about every 10-11 months. I personally won't turn down $100. Since our last pay out in February 2012 we have earned another $80+. However we do have a large store with 7500+ products which means more chances for people to see an ad and click on it.

Our only problem with ecrater is the same problem I think just about every seller has no matter what venue and that is with Google and all the changes they have been making these past few years. My sales on ecrater have slowed with each Google search change, yet we keep plugging along.

Elpereles is correct in that if you want to sell on ecrater you need to learn the rules and what to do before plunging in with both feet. I do think that some sellers here about ecrater, find it, sign up, list a few things (or try to) all in one afternoon and then spend the next couple weeks asking questions that if they had read up and researched the site ahead of time, would have answered their questions and made their change to ecrater much smoother.

I do think some things are harder to sell on ecrater than others. One being books. I got so few orders from my bookstore that I closed it. I do sell some items on Amazon currently as well which has helped make up for the downturn in sales caused by Google changes. I'm hoping to spend the next couple weeks ramping up my promotions and marketing techniques.

I do like selling on ecrater! It is a great site.
by: Ladmo This user has validated their user name.
Fri Oct 5 19:31:04 2012
RE: eCrater Sellers Can Get Traffic and Earn with Google AdSense. Julia that's the fine article but you be titled ''ANY Seller CAN Spend a Fortune to Get Traffic with Google AdSense! The search field has changed since Google took their bat, ball and glove home to Mountain View. Time was when descriptive titles, well written and informative descriptions, large images and fair prices would get you noticed in the googlesphere. Not anymore. It is strictly PAY for PLAY. Got Cash? Get traffic. It's that simple.

We started our business back in the early 2000's and have worked hard to climb the ladder of relevant organic search...even our name denotes what we offer. But honestly, if we had to start an online business today...we wouldn't. This is why it is so critical to devote your internet sales and marketing energies on platforms that actually garner prospective business and most important - Results...eBay, Amazon, Buy.com and a few others. Unfortunately, there are a number of selling platforms NOT worth bothering with (unless of course you like to upload products 1 AT A TIME!). eCrater, for example, is exactly that...a largely undiscovered depression on the internet that will, if you let it, suck away your valuable time while delivering little in the way of promotion, traffic or sales. The eCrater administration interface, shipping methods, etc. are so archaic, lame and counter productive that I've included a recent email exchange that should rest our case. Mind you - all we were trying to ascertain was an efficient way to update our inventory and products. We current carry over 3000+ products!  Pay close attention to ''1 by 1'' and ''click on the pencil'': Our 2 cents.

From: eCrater store owner
Store: Ethnic Musical Instruments

>>Hi! We would like to delete our products and upload new. We have new titles, descriptions and prices. Is there a help file or could you tell us how.
Thanks.

>>Hello Store Owner

Thank you for your email. Please do not delete all your products or the store.  It is against our policy to use the bulk lister/bulk importer for bulk editing. Uploading a bulk file and then removing the store products and uploading a new bulk file is considered bulk editing and is a violation of our policy. If all products are deleted or the store is deleted, a result all future feeds will be rejected during the review stage.  After the initial bulk file is listed the items must be edited individually and the bulk lister can't be used to update further.

Thanks,
eCrater Customer Service Team Member

>>To: eCrater Customer Service Team Member@ecrater.com
Subject: RE: Ask About Store Set Up

So delete them one by one?
Thanks.

>>To: Store Owner
Subject: RE: Ask About Store Set Up

Hello,
Thank you for your email. No, if you remove the items from the store instead of editing the items, you will not be allowed to import the items again.

Sincerely,
eCrater Customer Service Team Member

>>To: 'eCrater Customer Service Team Member'
Subject: RE: Ask About Store Set Up

We're confused. How do we update our items? Remove some and add others?

>>To: Store Owner
Subject: RE: Ask About Store Set Up

Hello,
If the item is already listed you click on the pencil icon next to it and change the title, description, price or any data that needs to be changed. The import only imports items that have not been imported already.

Sincerely,
eCrater Customer Service Team Member

>>To: 'eCrater Customer Service Team Member'
Subject: RE: Ask About Store Set Up

Thanks. Do we remove items that have been discontinued or do not have stock
available...1 by 1?

>>Hello,
Thank you for your email.

Sincerely,
eCrater Customer Service Team Member
The eCRATER Team

>>end of commincation - (thankfully)
This user has validated their user name. by: juliawww
Fri Oct 5 21:24:43 2012
Hi elpereles and Ladmo, thanks so much for your helpful comments. My understanding was this was about earning with AdSense, not spending with AdWords or Google Shopping. But I see how mentioning Google Shopping and Adsense together is confusing, so I am going to check with Dimitar and see if I can clarify this or if I got it muddled. Thanks, all, for your comments about eCrater.

515f7c376741cb7a8f7c342f2
by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 5 23:43:39 2012
Adsense allows Google to put little banner ads underneath all your listings, so you make a few pennies for every click.

With Adwords, you pay per click to have your items shown on Google Shopping, which now charges sellers to be there.

I have been on eCrater for several years, and I love it. My sales are steady. You have your own store there and have to do your own promoting. eCrater.com provides the framework for setting up a store, and it is easy to do. I have had a ton of sales there, manage to get a few every week, and more during the holidays, when it might be several a day.

It does take some effort to get your store going, so it is not for everyone. But once you do get it going, you should have steady sales.

The main secret is to have plenty of items to sell. 10-20 items just won't bring in customers. I would say that 500-2000 items will be the number that will start to bring in lookers and customers.

It is a totally different concept than eBay. It is what you make of it and how much effort you put into it. It is starting your own little business. It is work.

AB Blog Recent Posts