Sun Jan 2 2011 12:33:28

Rate the Online Marketplaces - Sellers Choice Voting Is Open!

What better way to kick off the New Year than to open up the voting for our 2nd annual Sellers Choice Awards? We would like to know how you rate the marketplaces in this list where you currently sell, or have sold in the past, on the following criteria: profitability; customer service; communication; and ease-of-use.

We also want to know how likely you are to recommend marketplaces to friends and colleagues, and there is a field to fill in your comments for each marketplace - this is your opportunity to tell us what it's like to sell on various marketplaces.

This year, we let readers tell us which marketplaces to include in the survey. Almost 4,000 people filled out nomination ballots for the final 16 marketplaces. There are some obvious marketplaces on the list - eBay and Amazon, for example - but there was a battle among smaller, alternative marketplaces to make it into the final 16!

Last year's Sellers Choice Awards received massive amounts of traffic, and is still referenced by sellers, so please take the time to fill out the survey  (it will go pretty fast - just fill out the information for marketplaces where you sell or have sold). Send the survey link to your friends who sell online, post it in forums, and send it to marketplace administrators so that nobody feels left out.

The survey will be open through January 19th, and we will be publishing the results in the January 23rd issue of AuctionBytes-Update.

Take the survey now.

Rate the Online Marketplaces - Sellers Choice Voting Is Open!   Rate the Online Marketplaces - Sellers Choice Voting Is Open!

by: Digby

Sun Jan 2 16:52:21 2011

Thanks for the survey Ina.
As a newbie (I did not feel qualified to vote) but I found it very useful last year.

It will be interesting to see which sites have improved!

by: Phil32

Sun Jan 2 21:45:08 2011

I'm shocked eBid is not in the list! especially after Google supporting it and it winning best ebay alternative awards.

by: Phil32

Sun Jan 2 21:49:22 2011

Sorry, my mistake eBid is on the list

Thanks for the survey Ina :)

by: francois

Sun Jan 2 23:02:07 2011

Two sites am having consistently good sales on are missing: BIDSTART and DELCAMPE.

by: Stefano Neis

Mon Jan 3 00:01:04 2011

Sorry to see you left out Delcampe this year again. 566,00 + members with 400,000+ sales a month average... 37,000,000 items online and Auctionbytes has given little to no attention to this site in the course of last year.

Time to take your biased "USA" centric blinders off, there is a lot more to the Internet online sales platforms than just USA based companies...

by: Sue Stevens

Mon Jan 3 00:54:59 2011

I love ArtFire!!!

by: Christie

Mon Jan 3 08:07:32 2011

I sell on Artfire. It's the best!!

by: Jim Juris

Mon Jan 3 08:26:49 2011

Artfire is the best venue for sellers of handmade, vintage and supplies.

by: Digby

Mon Jan 3 11:10:17 2011

Bidstart and Delcampe (and Artfire?) obviously did not get enough votes to get into the final 16.

And to prove Ina is not "USA biased" Oztion and Australian site did get in

by: Francois

Mon Jan 3 15:32:51 2011

by: Digby
Mon Jan 3 11:10:17 2011

I'm not sure why you say they did not get enough votes. I thought the voting was not yet over.
I must be missing something.

by: Digby

Mon Jan 3 17:24:52 2011

Ina ran a poll in December asking for people to vote on their top 16 auction sites.
Those 3 sites did not make the cut.

The actual survey is now taking place until the 19th.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Jan 3 21:26:51 2011

Correct. As I wrote in the blog post above, this year we let AuctionBytes readers tell us which marketplaces to include in the survey. The nominations were open in November and December, and the top 16 made it into the final ballot, which is now open. (ArtFire is included, btw.)

by: Boo

Wed Jan 5 18:06:51 2011

For me Oztion is the best of the bunch.  I get consistent sales and my profits aren't eaten away by excessive fees.  The site is user friendly and the admin are great to deal with.  I love that is it's an all Aussie site from a selling view point (no overseas sellers means the site is not flooded with cheap chinese products), but overseas buyers are welcome and I've seen an increase in those lately, particularly from the USA.

by: Baconsdozen

Fri Jan 7 07:26:21 2011

I suppose it might be interseting to see what a few people think of auction sites,but I doubt if it really makes any difference.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Tue Jan 11 13:41:18 2011

I sold collectibles (non-sport trading cards). In 2010 my sales were only in eBay and eCrater, but I have items in Wensy, Bonz, Atomic, and Blujay.

In eBay I only used the ''free promo any price insert/post'' and manage to get 3 times more $$$ than eCrater.

Also in 2010, I tried to buy items in eCrater and Bonz, but sellers response to my e-mails was really slow. One of the sellers took 2 weeks to answer my question. Do you know what happen? I ended buying the same items in eBay. Also I used Froogle/GoogleBase and bought from an Auctiva seller. More than 3 weeks to receive the items. I hope this year fellow sellers in the Alternatives sites use the sites not just as virtual Hard Drives and improve their selling methods.

by: A AMERICAN SELLER

Fri Jan 14 02:05:19 2011

@elpereles,

I agree with you on that, I purchased about 10 times on ecrater during the last part of 2010 and had THREE terrible transactions out of the 10! (No product, NO Communication at all from 2, still waiting from third item from china ordered NOV 21ST!).

I hope that improves fast, or their hope of replacing ebay one day will never come.

ioffer is my favorite alt to buy and sell on. Only probs I have there is non-paying customers every now and then.

by: Crystal

Fri Jan 14 11:09:43 2011

I sell both traditional and repurposed vintage jewellery on both Etsy and Artfire and find Artfire much more user friendly, plus the Admin team are more helpful and there are no listing or final fees.  Artfire rocks!

by: Linda Creager

Sat Jan 15 20:40:38 2011

Artfire is the very best!!!

by: norma

Fri Apr 22 14:08:05 2011

There are all kinds of great sites to sell on, but I must go with Artfire as I've done super well there!

by: Jemaine Simmons

Tue Apr 26 21:14:12 2011

Did not know there are so many alternatives to the big names---
very interesting to know since trying to find the best sites to sell besides that ones already tried and ran into the ususall problems between fees ( both a buyer and seller)  and the buying process ( as a buyer and seller).  Thank you everyone for your opions!