728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Mon Apr 26 2010 21:38:52

eBay Store-in-Core Changes: One Month Later

eBay converted all Store listings to Fixed Price listings and moved them into the "core" site on March 30. The move is significant since shoppers who conduct searches on eBay.com will now see those listings integrated into the search results, bringing back many more results per search.

In an effort to gauge how this might impact search results, I conducted 36 searches on Sunday, March 28, before the change, and conducted the identical searches again 4 weeks later, on Sunday, April 25

Search    Term

2,387,232

501.27

comics

204,074

1,791,730

777.98

Not surprisingly, the searches conducted on April 25 all brought back more listings than before the "Store in Core" change on March 30.
  • The search term with the lowest increase in listings was "discount fabrics," which returned 35 listings on March 28, and 39 listings on April 25, an 11.43 percent increase.
  • The search term with the highest increase in listings was "comics," which returned 204,074 listings on March 28, and 1,791,730 listings on April 25.
  • The average change was an increase of 121.85 percent.
There are a variety of factors that could influence search results, and a few very high-volume sellers entering or leaving a category could have an impact from one month to another. By no means scientific, it appears that the more collectible items were seeing a bigger influx of listings into core than "practical" items.

What are you seeing?

eBay Store-in-Core Changes: One Month Later   eBay Store-in-Core Changes: One Month Later
by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 26 22:10:34 2010
I'm seeing one to zero hits a day on my three remaining listings.  In the meantime, I'm selling and making sales elsewhere.  If this is what Ebay wants...so be it but I see it as failure.  To me I see a LOT more merchandise still spread out among far far less buyers. (shrug)
by: J.G. This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 26 22:43:12 2010
I have basically given up on eBay, have closed the store and now I'm letting the listings run out. To me, eBay is worthless. I feel that it makes no sense to throw good money after bad.  I have not had one sale on eBay since April 3rd. There is just no activity at all and this statement has been echoed throughout the 1700 comments on the eBay discussion forum (when it isn't being censored).

Besides being disappointed with 'stores in core', I am terribly disappointed in the non-reaction of eBay management to this 22 day listing abomination.  They have told sellers nothing.  We are left to 'imagine' what is happening and that's not good for eBay, but they don't seem to care.  I guess they are in a position now where their small to medium seller's commissions are not necessary any more so they can totally do away with us.  With no sales in 22 days, how can I hold on to any power seller or TRS standing.  I WANT to sell, I have items listed, but there are no buyers and one or two watchers.

The buying experience is overwhelming unless you are very specific in your search -- by name, model, style number color, etc.  Otherwise, there are too many items to wade through. . .just as there were in the old eBay stores.
by: Gary Overton
Mon Apr 26 22:52:54 2010
I have reason to believe they are "cycling" the listings in and out. Some days everything I sell are items that were in store before the change. Other days everything I sell was fixed-price before the change and then a few days(usually on weekends) I sell a good mix of both.
Your figures above could be an indication of that.(or maybe not)The increase percentage wise really varied a lot. Have you tried doing the searches every day for a week to see if there is any variation in percentages from day to day?
by: Mike Perez

Mon Apr 26 22:56:13 2010
Ebay is a sinking ship.
This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Apr 26 22:57:45 2010
eBay Q1 2010: Well, no matter how “Dr Death” Donahoe spins it, relative to all other ecommerce, the eBay Marketplaces are still going backwards.

eBay Q2 2010: More changes instigated by eBay’s chief headless turkey,  Donahoe, have had the rusting hulk effectively dead in the water now since at least the beginning of April: sellers are squealing like stuck pigs that they are effectively paying increased listing fees but getting, not simply less but, practically no exposure, and therefore very few sales. But, don’t believe me, take a look at this thread on eBay’s own Seller Central forum, at

ght/520194234&start=50

It
appears that eBay is presently applying rolling blackouts—or, more descriptively, white-ins, and not even generally but in random geographical areas, apparently.

For whatever reason, eBay is now, in effect, defrauding sellers: eBay is charging sellers a fee for a service that they have contracted to supply and they are knowingly not supplying that service; indeed, they are denying that anything at all is wrong (so what’s new?).

The making of such a false representation for the purpose of obtaining an advantage borders on being, if not is, criminal fraud. And, on top of all the other ongoing disingenuousness and unscrupulousness of eBay towards its consumers, that really should be just about the last straw.

PayPal: When “all the banks” do eventually get off their butts and complement their card system with a card/terminal-less system for online transactions, they will do it properly, and undoubtedly the dysfunctional PayPal will then sink like a stone—except possibly on what is by then left of the Donahoe-disrupted eBay Marketplace. So, PayPal’s future therefore appears problematic, and “Peter Principle” personified, Donahoe, is delusional if he thinks he will be able to keep relying on PayPal to keep the old eBay tub afloat. (Oops, Visa has just bought CyberSource, the online payments facilitator—I think that means bye, bye, PayPal. See further comment thereon at

R>And
for anyone interested generally in the matter of the rampant shill bidding fraud by unscrupulous professional sellers on buyers, fraud that I believe I can demonstrate is being knowingly encouraged and facilitated by eBay, and the long-term damage that that can do to consumer confidence in the eBay platform, see my introduction thereto at

877

Is
it any wonder the eBay Marketplace is struggling when compared to the others in this area?

eBay/PayPal/Donahoe: Dead Men Walking
by: Still Not Sure

Mon Apr 26 23:07:25 2010
I agree with Gary Overton, some really weird patterns are happening. I am in the Vinyl Records category, and I'll have two to three days in a row with a small trickle of sales, sometimes hours with no activity at all which appears as if my items are not visible. Then the flood gates open and I get lots of small orders mixed with orders from collectors who buy quantities. This will last for a couple of days, then back to the ghost town feeling. I am also selling items I'd had in my store with little activity for months, which tells me they are getting core exposure. Still, I'm giving it a few more weeks to be able to gauge what its going to be like. Since eBay is a company that does NOT communicate with its sellers, who knows what they are doing in the background to their system. I don't trust them and I won't trust what is going on until more time passes and I get an indication through my sales if this core in search thing is really WORTH the fees. Not that I think their fees exuberant are justified in anyway.
by: Loops

Tue Apr 27 00:22:36 2010
Total sales dilution. You have many sellers that weren't in the game and had no desire to be now being auto-promoted resulting in a flood of disorganized listings. A buyer is presented with sometimes hundreds more choices and can't always physically visit every seller resulting in many small crumbs for more sellers. Total sales dilution and Ebays approach to Quantity over Quantity is so counter to their recent mission of a great buying experience.

I've read that they want to give this 3-4 quarters to stick and to show results. The fact is the results may be very nice for Ebay on the short term but again quality sellers are getting the short end of the stick.

Trying to be Amazon is not working and Ebay had the opportunity to be a great at it's own niche. Since abandoning their niche, many spin-offs are gaining traction.

The result is sales are down for me. So are my listing fees, but that is not why I sell. The money I save on Ebay may be better spent raising my Google Adwords daily spend for my ecommerce site.

Again, Ebay gets it wrong!
by: Loops

Tue Apr 27 00:44:47 2010
That was quantity over quality! :)
by: ken

Tue Apr 27 00:48:45 2010
There were HUGE increases in postcards / photographs, too since those were common store listings. My guess is the numbers will start dropping, if they haven't already, since it isn't economical to keep cheap listings on eBay for very long with the new upfront fee structure.
by: Loops

Tue Apr 27 01:00:34 2010
I disagree Ken. The front end is cheap and Ebay gets it on the backend now. The problem with the cheap listing fees combined with Store moving to Core is that the site is flooded! I like a little skin in the game and .03 per listing for 30 days is not skin. It's an inventory dumping ground.

This could be the goal of Ebay. Seems the only important metric these days is the quantity of listings. They will show GREAT results with listing numbers but run the other metrics and you will get a better feel for the health of Ebay.

Ebay the inventory dump! New seller strategy. Dump and wait.
by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 27 01:44:41 2010
Who picked the search terms? "Discount fabrics" is a very odd one.

With all those categories, you've got multiples in some instances, but only 'coach' that could possibly refer to the clothing/shoes/accessories category. 'Coach', the brand name, has never been a big 'store' item, so of course it shows very little increase. But CSA has been a huge category on ebay, including huge in stores, and the impact of that in core would have been very helpful info.
by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 27 02:36:40 2010
@Loops-

When you are listing thousands of postcards, the fees are very much on the front end.  You have to pay for at least a Premium Store at $50, and then $.05 a listing, which adds up fast.

Postcards are like books or comics, where people search for a specific title, inside the category.  Someone collecting Detroit postcards is not usually interested in any other city.  It is all about having a quantity listed hoping you can snag that searcher.

Postcards are not like ipods or cell phones, where there is a limited choice. Therefore, stores worked great for postcards, books, comics, records, etc.  You could list a large quantity, for a reasonable price.

Stores to Core has been a disaster on multiple levels.  Donahoe has a one-size-fits-all mentality. Sellers have figured out over the years what works for them. When management keeps changing things, trying to make the Diamonds happy, it impacts Sellers in different ways.

I really liked my store, and it worked for me.  I was selling steadily until everything got dumped together.  Now my sales are far and few between.  Something is certainly not working correctly.  I still think the servers got overloaded and are bogged down so that there are rolling blackouts. You know, come to think of it, Ebay has never denied having rolling blackouts.

by: bouddi

Tue Apr 27 04:35:23 2010
I am seeing my traffic going down

I am seeing my sales plunging

I am seeing even more cheap chinese junk dominating the Best Match search results

I am seeing it's time to start my own website .. where I have control over how I make my living
by: Marvin This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 27 07:12:44 2010
I've done research too and here is what I found:

3 years ago I don't care what you were looking for odds are it would be on ebay. You could find something at a yard sale, flea market, auction, antique shop and look it up on ebay and there it was. List it on ebay and more than likely it would sell.

Today it's stuff you can go to any Wal Mart, Harbor Freight, Big Lots, mall or large retail outlet and find for less money and buy it today, no waiting for shipping.

When you hear stock analyst talking about doanhoe trying to turn ebay around and ebay trying to attract buyers and sellers it just shows how stupid they all are. Before donahoe came along there was nothing to turn around ebay was one of the most popular internet sites in the world. If you wanted to buy or sell you went to ebay.

Donahoe didn't like the flea market image and wanted to go in another direction. A dismal failure. If donahoe built on what he had and left things alone ebay would be so big today sites like amazon would be the ones struggling to attract buyers and sellers. ebay wouldn't have needed to come up with the stupid ''come to think of it'' slogan.

Now ebay has a bad reputation, it's hard to find what you want assuming you can find it at all and sales are in the sewer. Scheming and conniving seems to be their answer to everything. ebays store to core was a scam to generate site hits so they could try and convince morons how great they were doing.
by: Hardrock Rules

Tue Apr 27 07:25:57 2010
Keep exterminating us sellers Donahoe ! You almost got me, and sure you will with your next round of changes.

But here is the deal, see when I throw the towel in, you lost a Gold Power Seller before you came along, but after you finally succeed, you lost more then a seller, for starters you will lose about 40 of my closest family who will NEVER buy on your site cause of what you did to my living since you took over, then they will tell their friends to NEVER buy on eBay and so it keeps going on, then what you have done to other sellers they are preaching the wrong that was done to them also.

Why can't you see when you kill of the medium to small seller, you killing off tons of buyers, and from the decline in traffic, views, watchers and sales, I see others have already started before my turn is coming.
by: mickeyfinn This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 27 08:25:11 2010
@Ebay's Slow Death - I think you've presented a classic example....

While not enough to fully complete the picture, I would have liked to see the average sales value for each of the categories listed.  However, since that would be problematic if an item hadn't sold (and most won't) then the starting or current bid or BIN price would be something to work with.  Sell-through rate as well would be nice - but too impractical.

I'd hazard a guess that you would see a simple pattern - searches returning low priced goods (that can't bear the cost of auction listing fees) and slow-moving products (that could not bear the cost of repeated listings at auction) are the ones that will show up as the big increases.  They will have been put into stores because sellers cannot afford to offer them any other way - except perhaps in a car boot sale.

So, all these are let loose within the framework of a dysfunctional presentation layer - the so called 'best match' - of the search engine.

Whatever problems buyers had before, they have just been multiplied - not simply because of the increased numbers, but by the fact that 'Best Match' applies it's 'interpretation' of a buyer's search.

One thing that I find particularly irritating is that the search seems structured to guide the uninformed - if you know exactly what you want, you're going to have to fight to zero in on it.  I know I've done searches where I've had TWO words to look for and FOURTEEN to exclude!

I can see the term 'SNIPER' transforming ... It will come to describe the buyer who can actually FIND their target and the old concept of last second bidding will fade... in the company of auction dystrophy.
by: Mr.

Tue Apr 27 09:16:42 2010
Thinner slices of more expensive pie.
by: Ebay lies..

Tue Apr 27 10:50:15 2010
Sellers are complaining more and more about having unexplainable "up and down days" regarding sales IE: The aforementioned rolling blackouts, listings appearing on one day but not to be found the next, why is no one taking Ebay to task on this?

If we pay for 7 0r 10 day listings it should be visible for 7-10 days, how can Ebay get away with the 'blackouts" they are defrauding their customers!!!

I cannot fathom why sellers have not started reporting Ebay to the relevant authorities for closer scrutiny regarding this matter.
by: J.G.

Tue Apr 27 12:13:33 2010
Have you heard eBay saying anything about anything concerning this dumping disaster?  If they say anything, they are acknowledging something is wrong and they can't blame this one on the sellers.  Besides JD has a defense:  He loves all his children!

Sorry to be so cynical.  Who exactly should they be reported to?  If anyone reports them, that person will never sell on eBay again and eBay will probably come back with a countersuit.  Who among the sellers has this kind of money?  And is willing to spend it on a lost cause -- eBay will probably come back in a few months, but it will be stricter and always ready to make changes to tighten up the control of sellers.
by: Another Wronged Seller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 27 13:06:13 2010
I'm seeing the same sales spikes one day and than nothing for days. I agree it is rolling blackouts of some sort.

I sold roughly the same amount every day (within a range) with a spike on the weekends or when I had a lot of auctions closing. With no auctions up, I now have 2 -4 days of no sales followed by a spike for a day or two. Net result is overall lower sales. The spike doesn't make up for the 2 - 4 days of NO sales.

Ebay is manipulating exposure and search. I'm convinced of it. I don't see how anything else could explain it.

Rate Services