Tue July 4 2017 15:19:50

eBay and Online Sellers Lose PhotoBucket Links

Unless online sellers are willing to spend $399/year, those who use PhotoBucket to power their images on sites like eBay and Etsy* are now out of luck. PhotoBucket customers protested on social networking sites, and various publications have picked up the story.

The BBC compares the move to "ransom" with the headline, "Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's "ransom demand.""

The PhotoBucket site now greets visitors with a notice and a link to new terms of use. Among the provisions:

"Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting."

And of the Plus membership tiers, the only one that helps online sellers with image-hosting on ecommerce websites:

"Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting."

Customers say they received no advance warning that the site was planning to make the change (thus the complaints of "ransom"). According to the Terms of Use page, the terms were last revised on June 28, 2017, but it isn't clear how and when PhotoBucket alerted customers. The BBC said the company buried the new pricing in a note to customers on June 26th.

Said one customer via Twitter, "If you had given advance warning and charged a reasonable rate I probably would pay, but why should I trust you now?"

PhotoBucket customers are also concerned that the company has not responded to customer complaints; The BBC said in today's article that it received an automated response when it tried to contact the company and it is still seeking comment.

PC Magazine noted that the change means "existing Photobucket accounts on lower subscriptions tiers will have any embedded images they've created in the past cease to work. Considering Photobucket has been around since 2003 and hosts over 10 billion images, that's potentially millions of embedded images across the Internet being broken thanks to a policy change."

But as a thread on Amazon reveals, some sellers were less sympathetic to the plight of sellers who use PhotoBucket.

* Update 7/7/17: Etsy said its site is not impacted - a spokesperson provided us with the following statement: "Etsy serves images via internally hosted web servers and cloud based hosting, such as Amazon S3. Photobucket's recent changes do not directly impact how Etsy is displayed to our visitors, as no images when visiting etsy.com are served via their service."

eBay and Online Sellers Lose PhotoBucket Links   eBay and Online Sellers Lose PhotoBucket Links

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 4 17:50:39 2017

Looks like we are done with them !

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 4 18:25:09 2017

We host our own pictures. Not sure why one needs anyone else to upload their pictures.

We changed from Vendio many years ago when they changed their service.

Why pay someone when you can do it yourself.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jul 4 18:49:35 2017

The John Donahoe church of ethics has a new convert.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 5 06:48:23 2017

Money grab. Thanks for the heads up on PhotoBucket. Used them years ago but never again. That's a mighty stiff fee for photo hosting.  The Mar-A-Lago of photo hosting.

Ming nailed it with her comment. GREED!

The giving no notice to their users thing sounds very much like these hacking groups who take control of your computer and make your files unavailable unless you pay them a fat ransom.

And like one of those commenting stated, why would anyone trust them now?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 5 06:58:20 2017

Oh, and as for the snarky comments on the link that Ida provided to Amazon Seller Central, it is a great example of how, when something doesn't affect someone personally, they condemn it or snark on it.  Kind of reminds me of the healthcare debate in this country.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 5 10:13:19 2017

Meant Ina, not Ida.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Jul 5 10:37:30 2017

I went to Amazon Seller Central for help once.  Never again.

Also, can't say I'll miss Photobucket.  For years, clicking "view full-size" on forums has led to a slow, ad-infested page where the image I actually wanted to see "somehow" never managed to load.

Spend $70 a year for a domain and hosting somewhere else.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Jul 5 10:42:26 2017

Actually, just glancing at the handles of some of the snottier comments, yep, those are some of the same people that will defend Amazon helping a customer steal from you because you "agreed" to it by selling there.  I looked them up in the directory and they were either drop shipping $3 cellphone covers from China or not sellers at all.

by: That Guy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 5 16:27:22 2017

When does this go into effect?  All my ebay listings still look the same.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 5 18:19:13 2017

Host my own photos. Always have since 1998.

Maybe it affects Amazon directly, but I don't see how. Maybe in the UK. I don't see how it would affect any US Amazon seller in any measurable way as we basically give the photos to Amazon to host.  Not any 3rd party photo hosting I am aware of.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 00:02:40 2017

I purchased tons of html templates from eBay sellers who used Photobucket. I now have almost two hundred listings that look like crap because all the Photobucket images have been removed and replace with words of advertisement. And here I was blaming the people who sold me the templates. Seems Photobucket has gotten too big for their buckets!

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 00:19:03 2017

You can set up your own domain for far less money then they are asking and have unlimited space plus email plus website, etc...

by: Stone This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 00:29:04 2017

I just went through every single deleted email going back a couple of weeks, and I never received a notification from PhotoBucket concerning the change in terms. Who does that!!! The worst part has been the fact that they haven't responded to any of my emails regarding questions or concerns, and I'm one of the foolish ''paying'' customer. During my approximate 10 years with them, I've recommended them countless times to customers, friends and family.

by: ThatGuy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 01:48:39 2017

PhotoBucket has been a bad image host for years now.  I among many others protested their first change that they were starting to charge for hosting.  I now use imgur and its been working out great!

by: Jim Y This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 10:43:51 2017

Has anyone tried the free image hosting at JPEGBAY.COM?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 7 16:11:42 2017

I'm with Froggy.  I have always hosted my own pictures.  It is easy and it doesn't cost me a thing except space on my computer. It is easy and I'm not dependent on any other site, I don't pay for the service and I don't have to worry about Ebay making a change to disallow an outside source.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jul 7 23:52:44 2017

Marie:

Amen!

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Sat Jul 8 07:55:30 2017

Rule of thumb is don't let eBay do anything ''for you'' that you can't do for yourself. Have been hosting my own photos since 1998, using my own ''Turbolister'' tool since 2001, and of course, doing my own global shipping for many years.

by: ck This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 17 01:10:31 2017

I got my nasty notice from them regarding 3rd party image hosting. Since the 1st notice I've been getting a couple of spam messages daily shilling their 399.00 package deal. Tonight I marked their messages as spam.