728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Sat May 13 2017 23:42:27

What to Do if You're Caught in Amazon Suspension Trap

We've seen an increase in the number of sellers who say Amazon is suspending their account for reasons they cannot fathom. Sellers receive a notification that starts off:

"We believe that an unauthorized party may have accessed your Amazon.com seller account. As a result, we have temporarily restricted access to your account and deactivated your listings. For your security, your full credit card number is not displayed in your account and cannot be accessed via our website.

We do not know how your sign-in information was obtained, since the unauthorized party obtained this information on a site other than Amazon.com. Some common techniques used to gain access to this information include:

- Using malicious software to capture a user's keystrokes and Internet activity
- Trying commonly used passwords
- Sending fraudulent emails asking recipients to provide or update personal, financial, or other account information (commonly known as “phishing”)

To learn more about Internet security, visit the "Privacy, Security & Accessibility" section of our Amazon.com Help pages."

As we've reported, fraudsters have been targeting Amazon and its buyers and sellers with renewed intensity.

In this thread a seller explains the process they went through to get their account reinstated. Another seller offered this advice: "My suggestion for anyone this happens to is to never use the word suspended in your communications with Amazon."

Sellers have been discussing the problem on the Amazon seller boards including this thread that offer helpful advice (... See directions for regaining account access here!). The thread contains a copy of advice offered by an Amazon moderator.

And naturally in some cases a seller may find their account was actually hacked - this thread offers advice on "What To Do If Your Account Has Been Hacked."

This piece of advice from the Amazon moderator is worth calling out:

"We also recommend that you change the password on your email account. Techniques used by the unauthorized party to gain access to your Amazon account could have also been used to access to your email account."

Stay vigilant, and if you've been suspended due to the suspected "unauthorized party" issue, be sure and do your homework by reading the boards - good luck!

NOTE: edited 5/15/17 to fix the first URL.
Reading AuctionBytes Blog: What to Do if You're Caught in Amazon Suspension Trap

What to Do if You're Caught in Amazon Suspension Trap   What to Do if You're Caught in Amazon Suspension Trap
by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 14 08:22:24 2017
I followed the instructions exact, but no help at all. I can't even look at my orders on amazon.com? It has been six days. Very frustrating.
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun May 14 10:38:11 2017
Do people really sell on Amazon?

I don't personally know a single person who sells on Amazon. . .

I do happen to know just a few ebayers, LIKE A FEW HUNDRED OF THEM!
This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun May 14 11:58:44 2017
Rest assured - based on readership and emails we receive, Amazon sellers are alive and well.
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun May 14 12:12:16 2017
Has Amazon ever released 3rd party seller numbers?

Just curious of they have 2 million or 20 million 3rd party sellers. . .

I don't sell on Amazon because I don't like their format.

I sell used items and I don't see how my items would be visible like they are on ebay.
by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 14 13:05:06 2017
The issues are being worked out. They have me back on line. Products not showing but someone is supposed to take care of it.
by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 14 18:58:09 2017
TOOL - if you need to ask whether or not Amazon sellers exist - you're not smoking ENOUGH (although maybe Im wrong and its too much) weed.

eBay has ZERO traffic compared to Amazon.

That of course DOES NOT hold true with used items, vintage items and hard to find (uncommon goods).

Amazon sales were up this year and Amazon credited its 3p sellers IN PRINT (unlike eBay who only disparages them).

Its quite obvious that you have NO idea of how ecommerce works or what goes on in the field.

If you wish to know more - there are PLENTY of industry magazines - Dealerscope/TWICE/INTERNET RETAILER and others that will break it all down for you.

Mostly the discussions revolve around Amazon vs Walmart ..... with eBay not even being mentioned as a DISTANT third place
This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun May 14 23:02:48 2017
If I were suspended from Amazon, and believe me, it's coming, since they can't seem to steal from me the $120 they gave back to a thief, I'd consider it a blessing.
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun May 14 23:43:50 2017
@ pace

"If you sell new items, in most categories the sell through on Amazon vs eBay is at LEAST 10 to 1."

"I sell the same items in both places (as does every other seller that I know of) and the results are similar."

If eBay is less then 10% of your sales why are you hanging on and being so bitter? Why not just WALK AWAY!

I may not know much about ecommerce sales but what I do know is how to sell used American made tools on ebay.

Been doing it full time for 17 years and making a living doing so.

I guess what I do ISN'T considered ecommerce. RIGHT?
by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 15 09:10:13 2017

98% ofwhat i sell on amazon is used and i can get way more than they sell for on ebay because they are hard to find because most are no longer made. Im close to $250k on there in the last 4 years with about 7,500 orders
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon May 15 10:01:45 2017
@thebobman

HUH, I heard that items are cheaper to buy on Amazon.

What are you selling Bob? Can you give us an example of something cheaper on eBay then on Amazon?
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Mon May 15 10:39:06 2017
@toolguy - unless my eyes are deceiving me, wasn't the topic hear about Amazon suspensions, not whether or not Amazon is a viable place for you to sell on? Fine you don't sell on Amazon and don't care about the topic, so you have nothing to comment about. I do sell on Amazon both new and used products. I don't sell on ebay as they destroyed my business before Meg even left with their lies and fables.

As to Amazon suspensions, from what I have seen on the forums at Amazon, those that are affected by this don't have a decent way to present their case. It is like you are sending in emails to computers that can't understand anything you wrote. I had a problem on Saturday and I was shocked that it was cleared up by Sunday. Undoubtedly that CSR will lose her job for being too efficient! It is rare to get anything but canned responses from Amazon and I assume it  still is that way on ebay. This is one of the reasons that I really like selling on ecrater. You have a question or a problem, your problem is answered personally.

Both for account suspension or putting sellers on hold at Amazon, to answering back when you tell them something is wrong with the product page, Amazon really has a problem in this regard. When you do get a live person they tend to be from other countries and you can't understand them through the accents anymore than they can understand you. One of the things that sellers would really like to see Amazon deal with better.
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon May 15 10:46:21 2017
@ Moonwishes

How many eBay threads are here where Amazon is mentioned?

I rest my case. . .
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon May 15 11:07:48 2017
@moonwishes

" Fine you don't sell on Amazon and don't care about the topic, so you have nothing to comment about. "

"I don't sell on ebay as they destroyed my business before Meg even left with their lies and fables."

So we WON'T see you posting on any eBay threads here?
by: Newtypeshop This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 15 12:18:01 2017
I used to sell a lot on Amazon but lately their fee structure doesn't work well with my goods.  Amazon requires you to pay to get certain tiers in order to get traffic.  Or else you'll be like tons of sellers that are forced to compete on price but not on service.  Very few Amazon buyers leave feedbacks but they will leave negatives.  I also have a very negative view of Amazon sellers.  Often they ship slower and slower to respond to questions than on Ebay.
by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 15 12:30:52 2017

Ti84 silver ed. $45-55 on ebay, $65-75 on amazon

Plantronics wireless headsets. They sell for 15-20% more on amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon May 15 12:41:54 2017
@thebobman

So Amazon is the place to sell and eBay is the place to buy.

If I want a great deal eBay is the place to go. . .

So savy buyers are on eBay and savy sellers are on Amazon!

OK, I go that. . .
by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 15 13:38:49 2017
@toolguy

Sort of. New, common items are pretty close to the same price, but when you start getting into discontinued popular items, the price can go high because many times people just want the same thing that worked for them for years.

Im seeing used phones that are selling for double what they cost new. Amazon buyers are a different type than ebay ones and aremore likely to just click buy than do much research into the item
by: TMoore This user has validated their user name.
Mon May 15 14:51:24 2017
I recently closed my Amazon KDP account because I received an email from them stating that someone else claimed the copyright for a short story I wrote 10 years ago. I wasn't selling anything there anyway. Not my loss. I don't know anyone who sells on Amazon proper, and from what I have read of their fine print, I wouldn't want to. When Amazon learns how to do business let me know. But I'm not holding my breath.
by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 15 15:17:47 2017
You have to make a lot of money to make amazon worth it..they abuse sellers and cater to enterprises worse than ebay..at least when it comes to handing your mobey back to the customer as well as competing with you directly. Amazon is pretty shady in its tactics

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 15 15:57:52 2017

Toolguy you should try Amazon of today.  Even though it may be harder for you do to the type of of items you sell. You could increase your sales significantly.

Rate Services