728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Thu Mar 16 2017 17:27:57

Etsy Tests Bot to Rearrange Seller Home Pages

Etsy announced it is running a test in which it uses an algorithm to rearrange listings on sellers' Shop home pages. An excerpt from the announcement explains:

"We're starting a test that rearranges the items in your shop home based on information we know about your items - specifically, how likely they are to result in a purchase. The idea is that Etsy can do some work on your behalf to connect buyers landing on your shop home page with items they're most likely to purchase, hopefully resulting in more sales for you.

"Rest assured that if you're already using shop rearrange, we will not rearrange any of the items in your shop home. We also won't be making any changes to your featured item selections whether or not you have a custom arrangement."

Some sellers objected to the practice, feeling it interfered with their shops. Others said they hoped it would help. Sellers who want to display their most recent items on their Etsy Shop home page were among those who objected. A seller who finds certain items are bestsellers in one season but not the next feared it could harm her by promoting the wrong items to sellers at the wrong time.

One seller welcomed the change, saying she hates spending time putting her bestsellers on the front page and believed having Etsy do it automatically would save her time. When visitors hit her home page, "potential buyers will see the creme-de-la-crop instead of something I need to tweak when it is renewed."

She added, "I'd just like to politely mention that "Etsy may rearrange our items on our shop's home page, to help them sell better" - isn't that what they are supposed to do? Help us sell more items?"

Another seller said they'd like to have the Etsy auto-arrange as an option so she could compare the way she arranges her shop's homepage with the way Etsy would arrange it. "I think it'd be cool if one of the rearrange options, besides Custom, Latest, Lowest Price, etc., were Etsy Arranged."

What do you think of Etsy's latest test?
Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Etsy Tests Bot to Rearrange Seller Home Pages

Etsy Tests Bot to Rearrange Seller Home Pages   Etsy Tests Bot to Rearrange Seller Home Pages
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Mar 16 19:01:50 2017
Did Chad hire The Ho?

Sounds like ebafia's Daddy Knows Best (Match) mentality has infected Etsy.
by: JoeysZoo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 17 03:45:07 2017
My Etsy sales have far outnumbered my eBay sales this year despite having twice as much inventory on eBay.   I hope this helps rather than hurts as I've been busy adding inventory to Etsy.  I am closing my eBay store at the end of the month and concentrating on two Etsy stores.
by: Transferware Odds and Ends This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 17 07:31:37 2017
I welcome any kind of help, Help is always welcomed...Sales have been good for me so far in March. I continue to promote daily and feel Etsy's job to keep their sellers, is to commit to doing all they can. However, I am not a fan of the rotation process they use. I will get high views and sales when my shop is seen and very low views and sales when the light is off....this still continues and can be frustrating. I know there are alot of shops to promote and get out there for the public to buy, but I feel Vintage items are still not their top priority and we Vintage sellers continue to struggle to be seen.
This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Mar 17 08:20:44 2017
Can you imagine if someone walked into a major retailer and rearranged the merchandise?

Anytime I hear these companies use the word algorithm I know that we are in trouble.

With search that works, and search that actually leads buyers to the items that they are looking for, algorithms are not necessary.
by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 17 09:28:29 2017
Chad & Co are desperate.  Their last quarter report was a disaster by their own admission.  Etsy has lost 2/3 of its original valuation when it went public.  It also lost 70% of sellers who have been there since 2013.  This is not speculation.  They had to admit these facts and more in their SEC filings.
Every time Etsy comes out with one of these cheery announcements you can bet it has to do with their bottom line.  Chad couldn't care less about the sellers.  He was separated at birth from the Ebay guy.
They have hundreds of emloyees who don't know WTH they are doing.  Certainly they can't fix the search function as that gets worse every day.
By taking over all the shops- they have just admitted the truth.  That Etsy controls every aspect of e-commerce on that site.  That no matter how much the sellers pay for bogus services, no matter how good their SEO is, no matter if they have the best items online at the best prices, they will never get found unless Etsy decides to show your wares.
I can't believe that they are getting away with this fraud.  How come we American citizen taxpayers are not being protected by all those consumer "protection" agencies we pay for?
I thought Chatd & Co. were trying to help the little guys and gals who put all that money in their pockets.  How much more has to happen before there is a crack down and people are led off in handcuffs?

by: MRV This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 17 11:17:46 2017
Considering how the majority of the site's constant (and obsessive) tests are a fail, it's unlikely that this latest manipulation will serve anyone other than the resellers squatting on the site.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 17 11:22:35 2017
Why pay for a shop if you can't have it your way?
by: G-and-A This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 17 15:36:34 2017
Good luck with this.  Bonanza did this a long time ago, and it is the Main thing I detest now about the site.
This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Mar 17 21:59:57 2017
In the TEN Years I've been on Etsy, I've NEVER seen my items on the front page. Not Once. It's always some useless crap....
by: madgeshatbox This user has validated their user name.
Sat Mar 18 01:07:31 2017
Reworking home pages is a waste of time.  Most buyers come to Etsy via a specific item search either from google or etsy search.  There may be a few return customers who browse the home page, but not many others do.
by: just passign through This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 18 15:10:12 2017
Pattern sites mean that sellers aren't bringing traffic to etsy.com anymore. They are sending traffic to their own URL. That means fewer buyers on the main site which means less built-in traffic which means fewer sales which means less in commissions for etsy.

I would bet money etsy didn't consider the ramifications of Pattern, so now they reap the unintended consequences.

Their tech people clearly have no idea what they are doing and their roll outs, which used to be bad, are now reaching the level of disaster. So much for Chad's contention that they are a 'tech' company, not an ecommerce website.

Clearly they are neither.

None of them have a clue and they are taking us down with them. I'm hoping for a takeover by a company with a useful tech staff. Probably won't happen since etsy is a programming disaster at the moment.

The only reason to use a venue is for built in traffic and sales. Clearly that has been and continues to fall off.

I'm disgusted with clueless Chad and the clueless Hipsters. They are destroying etsy bit by bit.

Oh well, I saw this coming when they introduced 'production assistance' back in 2009 which eventually morphed into etsy being just another ecommerce site full of cheap crap made in foreign-country-of-the-week.
This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Mar 19 08:37:58 2017
Just passign through makes me think that Etsy is just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Sales are poor?  Etsy rearranges the merchandise that sells best to put more money in their pockets.  Rest assured that this is nothing that will benefit the average seller.

These companies are constantly meddling with search to favor their own bottom line.  This prevents buyers from finding what they are actually looking for.
This user has validated their user name. by: NiciArt
Sat Mar 25 13:53:26 2017
Correct me, if I'm misunderstanding the announcement, but I'm under the impression Etsy will only re-arrange those shops that are not active in arranging their front pages. Since the updates last year, re-arranging has become a burdensome task and few buyers come directly through the shop page, thereby leaving re-arranging to be a pointless strategy. If Etsy thinks they can re-arrange my shop page to maximize sales and income, then I actually welcome the assistance.

For the most part, Etsy is no longer a unique platform that celebrates individual expression, so I do not really view my shop as extension of our creativity or creative processes. Etsy is just a venue, where sellers list and hopefully buyers purchase, whereas my own website embodies elements of identity and branding through colors, logos, themes, fonts, and layouts. Venues are constructed to de-brand and sell as much volume of products as possible.

After 5 fantastic years on Etsy, I'm starting to think 2017 is the end of the bull run at least for us on that platform. Our shop and many other pre 2010 shops are seeing their items replaced in search by new arrivals, copy cats, or totally irrelevant products which do not match search queries. Instead of meddling with search and concerning themselves with aesthetics, Etsy needs to concentrate on a business agenda of driving both platform and seller growth. As sales slump this year, we are throttling back on Etsy's cash cow, promoted listings. Instead of spending our way out of the slump, we are turning to austerity as we loss confidence. How many other sellers might be doing the same?

Where Etsy is still king is around holiday seasons. Etsy does a remarkable job of holiday marketing and promoting gift ideas.

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)