728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Forums
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Thu Jan 5 2017 14:11:24

Should Stores Be Allowed to Ban Cash Transactions?

It was one thing when online marketplace eBay banned cashed, but now a restaurant? If anything, some restaurants don't accept credit cards due to the fees incurred. But Fast Company recently wrote about a company that is going "fully cashless" in 2017.

"Sweetgreen is an American fast casual restaurant chain that serves "simple, seasonal, healthy food," Wikipedia explains.

The company told Fast Company about the benefits of refusing to accept cash as a payment method - no robberies, better employee hygiene, no need for managers to spend time counting cash, faster transactions.

But the most important reason appears to be the data the company can collect about its customers.

"Through its app, Sweetgreen has been able to garner behavioral data about which locations customers eat at regularly and what they order. In the future, Neman and Jammet hope that they can develop a way (possibly using a tablet) to get that information to salad servers so they can more meaningfully interact with customers."

Perhaps you thought retailers had to accept cash (it's "legal tender," after all), but Fast Company wrote that's only true in some states, such as Massachusetts, where it's illegal not to accept cash.

Wikipedia clears things up:

"Under the law, United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for antecedent debts when tendered to a creditor. By contrast, Federal statutes do not require that someone who is not a pre-existing creditor must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses may formulate their own policies on whether to accept cash unless state law requires otherwise."

There's something very satisfying about using cash to pay for a transaction, whether it's at a store or at a flea market.

Forcing customers to use digital forms of payment provides vendors and merchants with valuable data - should customers start thinking about ways to be compensated for the data they provide retailers?
Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Should Stores Be Allowed to Ban Cash Transactions?

Should Stores Be Allowed to Ban Cash Transactions?   Should Stores Be Allowed to Ban Cash Transactions?
by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 5 16:37:46 2017
And people will accept this including collecting data about them. Are you kidding me?

People just give away so much information on themselves and wonder why there is more and more identity thefts / kidnappings / stalking and what ever else.

by: flybuy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 00:06:28 2017
I agree with the above posting.  Why should people be forced to pay in a way that can be tracked?
by: puppy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 00:18:39 2017
Accepting only cash also refuses service to many people. How many grannies are running around with the latest iphone fully stocked with apps? How many people in our current climate of economic depression no longer can get a credit card with a fair interest rate due to poor credit? This is a bad idea on so many levels, but most of all because of the intent to invade privacy. Cash offers the people privacy and control. It seems there is a global was on cash right now. If they try to go cashless in the US, there will be a BIG fight and I will be right there in the thick of it.
This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Jan 6 00:24:45 2017
I'm taking a Libertarian stance—businesses should accept any payment of *their* choosing. Customers, in turn, can choose to patronize or not to patronize.
by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.
Fri Jan 6 00:42:29 2017
After having my identity stolen, I paid off all plastic, cash only and no longer pay bills by computer with all the hacking and government spying.  Bills receive a check in the mail.  Worked for me for 40 years, works great again
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Fri Jan 6 01:31:05 2017
As Puppy said, if the main reason the restaurant is going cashless is for the intent to invade privacy, then for sure teat place wouldn't get my business.

I remember the first time some doofus as I went to pay cash for a Kmart transaction insisted on me supplying my zip code. I told him he had no need for it. He insisted he did. I told him I didn't care what he put in as a number, but if he insisted, I would walk out without purchasing. I realize that their is supposedly some reason for credit card users to hand over their zip code, although I still don't agree with it, someone that is paying cash should not have to supply any other ID nor do I believe it was legal. And I believe our Kmart is one of the ones closing. I wonder how many others wouldn't go along with providing a zip code. Too many have become dumb sheep and provide all sorts of info just because they are asked for it, not because it has anything to do with the actual transaction.

Even though I do use credit and debit cards, I don't think I have to sign my life away to do so. Years ago you couldn't get any store to ring up a $5-10 or less charge as the fee was too much. I guess they figure the fee is worth the info that they get.
by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 01:52:56 2017
Even if I was going to pay with a card and saw the sign No Cash, I would walk away. I am starting to boycott all companies or products that try and manipulate us. Microsoft is at top of my list. That company has become the most frustrating piece of flotsam out there. It corrupts and disrupts and deletes programs out of my computer on a constant basis and proudly tells you it has updated your computer. I am tired of it and am glad I am getting to the age where I can no more! I will not buy any aps from them.
by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 05:18:09 2017
This is a trend that will continue.  And not so much for the data, but for robberies.  Here in Chicago we've had  many store robberies and fast food chain robberies and I foresee "cashless" businesses.  And the benefits outweigh the current way of doing business.
Cashless & mobile transactions are on fire in Africa.
This user has validated their user name. by: Rural artist

Fri Jan 6 07:07:44 2017
Encourage your kids to use cash too. I have to laugh at the gullibility, banks do not secure debt cards if stolen and credit cards charge outrageous interest. The people are getting ripped for being cool and faster. Who needs faster?
This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jan 6 08:22:04 2017
Won't be setting foot in Sweetgreen.

And as for "employee hygiene", seriously?  Soap and water do wonders.  Restaurant employees should be washing their hands constantly.
by: DRA This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 09:04:28 2017
New World Order ...Big Brother mentality!
by: NoFreeLunch This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 10:16:46 2017
And here I was thinking of going all cash for my business.
Every time someone pulls out a credit card to pay, I cringe because it costs me money.
Really people, you can't carry enough money to pay for a $ 3.00 item?
If people ditched the credit cards, prices could go down across the board in this country by at least 10%, if not more.
Except for internet purchases, I pay my bills by check, and in store purchases with cash.
When the cash gets low, it means you are running out of money,with credit cards, you continue to spend.
The cashless people are the 35 and under crowd who think the technology is cool to use, like the tap and pay phones.
That's also the generation that has the high college loans and are in debt up to the hilt.
The banks just love them, because they get profit on both ends, just for having an electronic transfer and digital money.
I, and the people who work for me, can do a money transaction faster than write out a receipt and swipe a card.
Plus, we do the change in our heads, without a calculator, and count the change back,with a smile and a thank you.
There is something to be said for personal service.
Maybe the restaurant has trouble hiring people who can't count money or make change.
by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 10:29:28 2017
Policy of NO CASH means I will walk away.
I am concerned that this country will be cashless society. No robberies, No drug dealing etc etc etc..  However, identity theft is on the rise. The USA government cannot even control it. Example the IRS.  Computers and emails being hacked.  Supposedly by the Russians and even our own government.  No body talks about some guy in hiding because he released info that OUR government was doing that. Oh-thats right they do that to curb or find terrorist.
I think we should go to all cash society.
by: dmg61 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 10:30:56 2017
Stupid. Cash is king. Always will be. I don't need my information being tracked out there.  The new generation being told what to do by Alexis or some other machine. No thanks.
This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jan 6 10:31:11 2017
NoFreeLunch, says "Just wait until they put the self pay kiosks in that restaurant, and do away with the jobs.

Most of the McDonald's restaurants in Central London have adapted this. The orders can not be customized on the machine.
by: uppercutknives This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 10:50:23 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I've already put this business on my do not shop list. Sounds like they are promoting the "Mark of the Beast".
Soon if you don't have a card you may not eat. Read your bible folks.
Cash "IS", "HAS BEEN" and always will be KING in my book.
by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 10:59:51 2017

I use my credit card for everything.

Nice to get 5% back on my purchases.

Works real well as I never carry a balance so no finance charges.
by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 11:06:19 2017
One wonders how many incidents of jaw-dropping at the checkout occur each day in that place by people who are paying cash for the precise reason that they don't HAVE plastic (for whatever reason; it doesn't matter). What does the restaurant do at that point: force them to apply for a VISA card?
by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 11:26:53 2017
The problem is, we're all (or nearly all) looking at this from the viewpoint of people who grew up with cash being the main means of payment for small, everyday transactions.

That is not, and will not, be the case for the upcoming generations. My children range in age from 19 to 33 and there is a vast difference in the way my 19 yr old views the world vs. the way my 33 yr old views the world.

The young people who are now approaching adulthood view many of the things that have been discussed here as *normal*. The generation that follows them will be even more indoctrinated into the new *normal*.

Do I agree with it? Absolutely not. But the fact is, if you've never known anything different, you're far less likely to see it as a *problem*.
by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 6 11:40:30 2017
Cashless, so every tip is accounted for, delayed until paycheck time, and taxed. Gotta make sure to squeeze every penny from those wage slaves don't you know.. Once it all goes cashless the ''bank'' will have ABSOLUTE power over you to do anything they want with your account. Think about it.

Rate Services