Tue Jan 29 2008 09:29:23

eBay Increases Fees Overall

While wire services are lighting up with news that eBay has lowered insertion fees, the truth is that eBay has increased fees in many cases.

If you list 100 items with a starting and ending price of $9 with a 50 percent sell-through rate (50 items out of 100 actually sell), it would cost you a total of $63.63 in fees under the old structure and a total of $74.38 under the new structure. This is a fee increase of 17 percent.

This is based on the old insertion fee of 40 cents plus commission fee of 5.25%, and the new insertion fee of 35 cents plus 8.75% FVF.

If you list 100 items with a starting price of $9 and sell 50 percent of them at a selling price of $35, you would have paid $121.75 in total fees under the old pricing structure. Under the new pricing, you would pay $162. That is a 33 percent fee increase.

Despite this, John Donahoe just announced in his keynote address at the Ecommerce Forum that the majority of sellers will see a decrease in fees - let me know if this makes sense in your specific situation.

Check my math, and let us know how these changes will affect you!

Call 1-877-222-0856  and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Update: As the first person comments below, Gallery fees make a difference.eBay is now making the Gallery feature free. Here's how the numbers work:

$9 starting and ending price with 50% sell through, with gallery: Old fees: $98.63, new fees: $74.38: A decrease by 25%

$9 starting price with $35 ending price with 50% sell through, with gallery: Old fees: $156.75, new fees: $162: An increase of 3.35%.

by: molly

Fri Feb 8 06:20:28 2008

Do they really think we're that stupid and we can't do the math?!''

You sellers are stupid. And lazy too. That's why we can stick it to you a little at a time, and you'll stick around for more.

You chumps will be paying 50% FVFs before I get to the governor's office, baby!

Also, in May we are introducing eBay's brand new product exclusively for sellers, eLube.
It will be mandatory for sellers to keep their eLube at their work stations. However, sellers without their eLube will get screwed anyway.

by: chumpo

Fri Feb 8 09:51:57 2008

Who will these changes benefit?  Sellers who don't sell anything.  We sell thousands of items every month, many under $25.  Where can I order some of the eLube?

by: John

Fri Feb 8 17:06:13 2008

9:50pm stamps on ebay and delcampe.net
delcampe international
delcampe netherlands = 55089 items, ebay  = 1562.
delcampe norway = 13344, ebay = 464.
delcampe poland = 30235, ebay = 1080
delcampe portugal = 25834. ebay = 2158
delcampe romania = 28732, ebay = 645.
delcampe russia = 65084 , ebay = 4827

1-2 years ago these numbers would have been the reverse of what they are now about.

Go figure the numbers, I will look again after the new price changes and feedback changes on ebay.  bigger slide yet, I guess

by: TR

Fri Feb 8 19:16:57 2008

I am a small seller on ebay. I am pulling my business off ebay.

by: Al Corson

Fri Feb 8 19:50:46 2008

For every recession in the United States there has been a Republican Administration in the White House.

This new Ebay CEO must be a Republican.
Bye Bye eBay

Wake up Amercians before it's too late.

by: Arlene Chemnitz

Fri Feb 8 20:48:37 2008

Does anyone know why the Petition to Google to open and auction website in competition to Ebay has been deactivated???????  Last time I looked, it had over 7,000 signatures !!!!!

eBay Increases Fees Overall   eBay Increases Fees Overall

This user has validated their user name. by: Pete

Fri Feb 8 22:45:39 2008

I was making good bucks from eBay sales, enough to contemplte making it a full-time proposition. Now, I don't think so... also, I am posting packages AT or LESS than cost, have done this for a few hundred feedbacks, and I still see no reduction in my 4.6 rating for fair shipping charges!! This really sucks!!

by: Throb-n-Rod

Fri Feb 8 23:46:21 2008

I have been having some success with Wagglepop. they seam like a good community and have sellers with 5k in feedback. I didn't even see them mentioned for consideration anywhere so I wanted to mention it. one of the things I liked was after I signed up and started putting listings up I got messages from other users to come over to the boards and introduce myself this really gave me a warm feeling about the wagglepop community. the site is a lot like ebay however they have a few bugs to work out but nothing serious. the fees are one flat rate of 9.99 a month list all you want upgrades cost extra like subtitle, bold, etc but gal pic is included.

by: Throb-n-Rod

Fri Feb 8 23:51:30 2008

Anyone know anything good about Craigs List I have heard more and more people talking about making money on the site also

by: Dudley

Sat Feb 9 00:31:32 2008

ebay sux

by: Adios

Sat Feb 9 00:53:58 2008

Ebay stock should be an awakening for those with invested interest. It's gone from $40 to $26 in a heartbeat. Experienced employees will be leaving and be replaced with rookies. You think things are a mess NOW????? Just wait a few months. Greedbay is soon to be an event of history.

by: Rick

Sat Feb 9 09:00:45 2008

SO LONG GREEDBAY Boy they stuck the knife in this time to us sellers!! as soon as i recieved the news from other trusted sellers i went in and ended all my listings with out hesitation. there a hug company now that grew over night from a persons house into a major corperation and think they can just do anything they want and we will take it. I have seen so many sellers pull the plug this time that GREEDBAY will be feeling the effects by the 6th of next month when listing fees are due well i paid for what i pulled the plug on and they will get no fvf from me and look out amazon and overstock here i come. Thanks GREEDBAY i guess you will make money off buyers and no sellers and i cant wait to see you CRUMBLE on fox and cnn news GOOD DAY !!!!

by: jsicolts

Sat Feb 9 11:04:49 2008

These sites are much better than ebay : Albris.com, Biblio.com, and Gemm.com.

by: Robert

Sat Feb 9 20:01:11 2008

We had removed ourselves from the eBay (Community?) almost (1-1/2) years ago, way before price hikes. We were a power seller with 98% positive feedback and deal in US Rare Coins. We listed several 2006 3piece gold sets $3600 ea. After several buyers met our reserve and before the auction expired (they pulled our listings). I was told that I had to send them a copy of my DL and receipts of where I bought my merchandise.
I complied and sent the copy of my DL and a copy from the US Mint. They said that a copy from the mint was not proof that we really paid for the coins...
I have not since dealt with this "Community"?) and my wife & I have formed our own auction site(s).  They are both FREE for listing, photo uploads, FVF. Only low costs for attention grabbers & bold.
AmberAuctions.Bix Speciality Rare Coins.
gBay.Biz Many varied categories, storefronts available.
Bob

by: Ann

Mon Feb 11 03:28:24 2008

If anyone has a comprehensive list of other good auction sites, please list it here!

I am a Powerseller and am leaving ebay due to the intentional misrepresentation of their so-called "lower fees".  What a colossal LIE.

Again, if anyone has a comprehensive list of other GOOD auction sites, please list it here -- for all to know!

eBay Increases Fees Overall   eBay Increases Fees Overall

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Feb 11 07:43:45 2008

RE: I have been a Power Seller for 10 years and was left extremely nasty feedback by a buyer who is no longer a registered user. I want to have the feedback removed as it is totally unjustified.

Please do not waste anymore of your valuable time.  Same thing happened to my wife.  E-Bay's response was ''the right to FREE SPEECH''  Which is true if you think about it.  So the buyer's right to free speech - their First Amendment Rights - were protected by E-Bay.  Good thing, right.  What is confusing to us is -

How can E-Bay protect the buyers right to free speech yet deny the seller the right to FREE SPEECH under the First Amendment?

Does anyone know how that works?  It does not seem right.

Perhaps the solution lies in their Dispute Console.  Perhaps if a person, buyer or seller, tries to leave negative feedback for the other party an automatic default should direct them to a Mediation process before it can be left.  The process should be mediated by E-Bay trained personnel to end the dispute amicably.  If it can't be done a link should be created along with the negative feedback so a new buyer and or seller can see the dispute process and decide for themselves.

We teach our kids to not make up their minds about something before they try it.  We will stick with it to see how it goes and decide in 60 days if we need to move to another antique and collectible site.

Good LUCK TO ALL!

by: jaydeebee

Mon Feb 11 10:44:59 2008

If you’re really truly sick of the arrogance and greed at eBay as I am, then don’t just boycott for a week, find a new venue!

Let’s make someone else the new big boy on the block. I’ve been searching for new places to sell and have decided to give plunderhere.com a try. It’s free to join, has no listing fees and low FVF. You can also import your feedback from eBay, and the seller can leave TRUTHFUL feedback for the buyer, not just eBay’s dictated happy talk! Click the link below to register for free at plunderhere and let’s show eBay who is really the boss.

alID=103683

by: Steven

Mon Feb 11 13:57:41 2008

Plunderhere looks nice but only 17 000 listings!

by: Steven

Mon Feb 11 13:59:25 2008

This week-end I am going to list the same item on 6 diff sites and see what happens. I will take it from there I think I will choose two I dont want to make the same mistake of getting married to one like I have done with EBAY messy divorce..

by: Steven