728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

by: dawn

Tue Jan 29 12:35:57 2008
it ridiculous to think a buyer deserves a positive feedback because he or she paid.  by that logic, a seller deserves a positive just for shipping.  so far i have been fortunate and had great customers, but how long will that last?
ebay will require a buyer to wait 3 days to leave a negative to ''encourage communication'' but that doesn't help at all.  even if a seller ships the same day, the buyer may not receive their item within 3 days.
on ebay, we've seen buyers complain when they bought a ''pair'' of pants and only received one--because pair means two.  where is the logic that a buyer like that can only receive positive feedback?
i'm glad i set up an account to sell on amazon and yahoo last month.  ebay will lose many sellers because of this.
by: ben

Tue Jan 29 12:36:49 2008
The person who came up with this idea should be fired.

BOYCOT EBAY.  NO SALES, NO LISTING FEES, NO FINAL AUCTION VALUE FEES, NO FEES.  NO SELLERS = NO BUYERS.
by: Gary

Tue Jan 29 12:38:03 2008
THIS IS SO BAD!!  Especially for USED item sellers. Anything can be raised as an issue and you get DINGED!  $1.00 above the buyers Shipping threshold and you get DINGED. THIS CRAZY!! We become TRUE SLAVES to the Buyers! This maybe okay if they just used the STARS but we are in for bumpy days!!! We need another market place to sell!!
by: jan

Tue Jan 29 12:40:45 2008
this is going to be open season hostility against totally honest sellers.
we as good sellers will suffer the onslaught of the rebels and scammers that are going to bombard eBay with tons of dishonest negatives and no recourse for the great sellers that are there.
WHERE is OUR protection??
how is anyone going to know who the dishonest buyers are? How is anyone supposed to know who the scammers are?
You have done it again eBay...stuck in the shade of the sellers.
Changing the format to ''buyers AND sellers must PROVE a negative is WARRANTED'' would have been a GREAT idea.
taking the only avenue we have for letting the rest of the community know about potentially hazardous buyers, is down right STUPIDITY!!
You've taken OUR HARD EARNED MONEY month after month....and this is the THANKS that we get?
I thought that organized crime was banished years ago......guess I was wrong.
by: Gary

Tue Jan 29 12:41:14 2008
Sellers should FLOOD ebay with emails and calls also... This is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by: ME

Tue Jan 29 12:43:19 2008
I am going to open an AMAZON and UBID account right away!!! Let's give business to someone else!
by: Kathy

Tue Jan 29 12:44:07 2008
Riddle me this eBay?
How attractive is this system to new sellers, I would never join a site where this was a rule!
I have been dragging my feet listing on my other sites...no more!
by: Donna

Tue Jan 29 12:44:19 2008
I agree w/ Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by: George

Tue Jan 29 12:45:38 2008
I've been on the fence recently about quitting ebay. All I can say is "Thanks Ebay"! You have made my decision for me!
by: TKO

Tue Jan 29 12:46:03 2008
EVERYONE IS USING THE "LIVE HELP" FLOODING THEM!!!!! jump on board NOW!!!!!
by: Kat

Tue Jan 29 12:47:13 2008
I agree with the boycott.  Since Ebay only cares about money..maybe..just maybe a boycott would make them realize that the people that make them money will not tolerate this crap.  Talk about getting stabbed in the back!

I and at least 100 other sellers I know already plan on leaving ebay.
by: Tom

Tue Jan 29 12:47:48 2008
I've been selling on eBay for seven years and have been a Power Seller much of that time.  I decided to take a hiatus from selling following the fourth quarter for personal reasons, but had planned to return to selling in May.  I'm pretty sure now that I'm just going to let eBay go and sell exclusively through other portals.
by: FG

Tue Jan 29 12:47:56 2008
So lets see - a 'buyer' can refuse to pay, respond to the dispute by telling me to take a flying leap - and they can leave me a negative and I can only leave them a POSITIVE???

Done selling. Hello craigslist!
by: William

Tue Jan 29 12:48:48 2008
eBay reminds me of a bad marriage. You put up with it and put up with and then finally its one last thing that makes you say, “enough is enough”. Then when you get the divorce you ask yourself, ''how did I put up with all this crap for so long''?
by: Melanie

Tue Jan 29 12:49:29 2008
I honestly think that it's time that Ebay wakes up and smells the "coffee".  It's really frustrating to try and list accurately and provide good customer service when you know you can get a negative rating over something completely ridiculous and as a seller you cannot provide an honest opinion.  My fees are over $800 a month, I will definitely look for another venue to use instead of ebay.  It is honestly not worth the hassle or the hoops that they make "sellers" jump through.
by: Nicole

Tue Jan 29 12:50:02 2008
Roger, that's interesting -- I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, but do you suppose this could all be orchestrated?

Anyhow, the new feedback policy increases sellers’ vulnerability while offering them meaningless tokens in return.  It reveals an astonishingly poor understanding of human psychology: rather than leave feedback first, sellers are more likely to stop leaving feedback altogether, and this may be the undoing of Paypal since many sellers already believe they have little recourse in the event of a scam.  Unfortunately I am a small fry without much clout, but I do have good feedback so that's not the issue.  If they don’t come to their senses, I’ll get rid of everything before May and eBay can kiss me goodbye.
by: Me too

Tue Jan 29 12:51:03 2008
I walked a year ago because of listing fee rate increase. I have considered coming back but now they want to pull this. Shipping to Hawaii takes way longer than three days. They are forcing sellers to sell right in their back yard if they enforce this 3 day rule. And not allowing me to leave honest feedback when totally necessary... well that just seals the deal. I'm out too.
by: bye bye eBay

Tue Jan 29 12:55:33 2008
It seems that most agree that this is an idiotic change on eBay's part. There has been numerous warning signs that eBay will protect only buyers (good & bad) sooner or later. This change is great for anyone in the market right now that has a similar site to eBay. eBay seems to have a disconnect with the fact that they will not have buyers if there are no sellers. The sellers risk much more than a buyer. Instead of punishing the good legitimate sellers, they should be focusing on weeding out the bad sellers. In my experience, there are many dishonest sellers that do not get the punishment they deserve for their actions. They should be banned from the site completely under any member ID associated to the same address (or ANY duplicate profile info). It is a slap on the wrist to get negative feedback or a listing pulled for scamming buyers with illegal products. Of course, this would probably cut into their billion dollar profits to much, since they still make money, legal or illegal. With the internet growing as fast as it is now, there are many more outlets for those sellers who decide to ''wean'' themselves off of eBay. I know I will be focusing on other sites for a selling outlet from now on. eBay should remember that their ''customer'' is the one that pays the hard earned money to eBay. They will hopefully learn the hard lesson of what happens when they ignore the voices of their customers- the sellers. Bye-bye huge profits for eBay, hello trust-worthy reputable eBay competition.
by: patrice Berlin

Tue Jan 29 12:55:55 2008
I have just sold my stock in Ebay which I have had since the beginning.
I recommend that everyone SELL asap. Not only will it show Ebay how we feel about their new changes but you will be saving yourself big money . I predict that stock prices will plummet by the end of the day as sellers get the news....
by: Nunya Bidness

Tue Jan 29 12:58:32 2008
I just left a message on Bill Cobb's voice mail telling him how so many of us feel about this new change. Please, everyone of you, call Bill at 1-800-322-9266 ext 65682 and COMPLAIN to his voice mail. If enough of us do it, surely he will take notice.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)