728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

by: Kathy

Tue Jan 29 11:56:07 2008
Thank you Ina for your newsletter. Well, I guess this is it for me as well, unless the policies change before implemented. I already closed my ebay store over a yr. ago due to fee increases. I agree with many of the posts above, so I won't repeat.  What other sites get the traffic ebay does, besides Amazon? I already list on some of them, it's a waste of time mostly. Anyone have any ideas on this? There has to be a site that gets the traffic ebay does or I'm out of a job. I sell on ebay to supplement our income since I have a special needs child. I have over 1,000+ positive fb with a couple of negs from real crackpots as it is. This will ruin the reputation of many good sellers.
by: Wild Rufus

Tue Jan 29 11:56:11 2008
Wow, this is the most unfair thing I've seen eBay do in awhile.  So Meg leaves the company and it immediately starts to go down hill??  Good decision guys.  Well, Amazon, here I come.
by: Jam and Bees Luminescents

Tue Jan 29 11:56:41 2008
I'm glad I left eBay for my own online store. I may get a lot less traffic at first, but at least I won't be paying eBay just to get kicked around. When you go out of your way to please people, even when they are wrong, just because you are trying to avoid some arbitrary rating that will make you look bad, then it's time to move on.
by: Roger

Tue Jan 29 11:56:49 2008
 Don't be surprised if Google doesn't seize the moment and put Ebay under.Google is ran  ten times better than ebay.Once Ebay is in the tank watch for Microsoft to buy it out.Something is blowing in the wind alot of Ebay exceutives are selling off their stock.
by: henrylouis1949

Tue Jan 29 12:00:14 2008
The changes made to the greedbay feedback system are a negative to the sellers who honestly try to make a positive impact on their customers. I just pulled my account and will deal with Naxcom, Craigslist, or other venue. By the way, my name is my ebay user ID. I'm outta here. Thanks for the ride, sleazebay.
Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay   Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 29 12:05:47 2008
I cannot believe eBay is doing this.  I am in shock.  I agree with all the comments above, and if I continue to sell on eBay I will add to my TOS that I won't leave feedback until the bidder does.  At the moment I leave it once they have paid and I have shipped.

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH THESE PEOPLE???

I am so upset I can't think straight.  ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!
by: Lyn

Tue Jan 29 12:06:02 2008
What once was a great idea (ebay) that exploded into a megainternational corporation is now gone and won't come back. There aren't any really viable alteratives out there (YET) but there will be soon. I have been watching the counts of listings over the past few months. Ebay's listings declined steeply, in direct proportion to many smaller and lest costly and much much buyer and seller friendlier smaller sites' listings. So I've been saying it for a long time now, and I say it again...time to all good, honest, hard working, small, and low profit margin seller like myself to diversify and leave ebay behind. Sooner rather than later. I will not relist what I have listed at the moment and I will not be listing anything new. The really bad part for sellers like myself, with an average sale of about $15 and 50 sales a week, is that I can spend all kinds of time finding things to sell, photographing them, describing them, and paying low up front fees to list them...and relist them...and relist them. With the new search features, they aren't likely to be found because I'm not a high ticket, high volume seller (even though I have a 99.9% feeback rating and over 4.8 in all my DSR star ratings). And I sell things to buyers who are picky and quirky and would always have loved to leave negative feedback if they feared no consequences...so now with no recourse to weed out those folks, I would make less money, spend more time, and get slammed more often for ridiculous complaints from uneducated and unrestrained buyers (and getting slammed more often would eventually get me suspended). Oh, yeah, and there's that other shoe that has not yet dropped, the soon to be announced increase in PayPal fees. So I'm out of here, looking to list everything I can everywhere I can that is going to step up to plate to hit the home run with the OLD ebay model of low fees, low priced items, a fun and friendly atmosphere, and lotsa money fairly divided. Ebay has chosen to keep all the wealth and make it even more of a nasty environment, so I'm finally 100% outta there for good. Bidville.com, blujay.com, specialistauctions.com, ebid.net, eCrater.com, and all of you other folks, get ready to upgrade your servers, because you are about to experience the thrill of an avalanche of new sellers. And I can tell you that buyers are not stupid and neither are sellers. It won't take buyers a nanosecond to find out where everyone has gone when they hear crickets chirping on ebay.
by: William

Tue Jan 29 12:09:29 2008
Last straw for eBay. Starting Monday we will begin listing on other sites and slowly wean off of eBay. Hope they miss the $1000+ per month
by: dazed and confused

Tue Jan 29 12:11:30 2008
Who is going to publish and update a "bad bidder list" for sellers to plug into their "blocked bidder list"?

Bidder fraud and extortion is once again sponsored and encouraged by eBay. Look for a bestseller: "How to Make Millions by Ripping Off EBay Sellers".

EBay will see results down the road, as once-dedicated eBay sellers ramp down and move into other endeavors.

Buyers looking for unique items available only from (relatively) small sellers will quit looking on eBay.
by: eBay_veteran

Tue Jan 29 12:14:08 2008
Me too, I'm done. I've been with eBay almost ten years, and every year the hassles have worsened, the profits have fallen, and the buyers have been more snarky. But we plod along, trying to be flexible, seeking new business models to squeeze out a profit on eBay.

I could live with the fee increases, but not the feedback double-whammy: sellers can't neg and neut a bad buyer, so buyers will be more confident about negging and neutering a seller over little things without giving the seller a chance to make things right; AND, if your customer satisfaction isn't rated high enough, Paypal holds the money for transactions until the buyer says they're satisfied. It really puts a seller's profit at high risk.
by: DJ

Tue Jan 29 12:14:37 2008
I can not believe this is happening! So now all buyers will have glowing feedback as they scam, lie and cheat to screw over an honest seller! How are sellers ever going to know who is or isn't a good buyer? Ebay has made the dumbest mistake of all with this one! I have 2 seller IDs, they will be closed by next week as I refuse to be bullied by bad buyers OR ebay!
by: Sandra

Tue Jan 29 12:17:53 2008
This guy has lost his mind.  Ebay will die on the vine as he watches sellers leave in droves.  How much in FVF does ebay think it is going to receive when sellers stop listing.
by: Pat M

Tue Jan 29 12:21:40 2008
Absolutely one of the WORST decisions eBay has ever made (and they have made SO many!)  Totally guts seller customer service, allows scammers the upper hand ALL the time, and allows honest sellers with no recourse.  And whatever happened to feedback being VOLUNTARY?  Sure, now I have the option to leave POSITIVE feedback or no feedback at all.  What a crock.
by: henrylouis1949

Tue Jan 29 12:22:55 2008
I've got it! Start charging the buyers the FVF.
by: Ed

Tue Jan 29 12:23:45 2008
I am highly upset!
Will more people PLAY and not pay? Buyers will have no fear of negative feedback.
Sellers should think twice before selling on ebay.
As a seller, I will have no recourse if a buyer does not pay on time or sends a bad check.
Will this mean a seller will only be able to safely use Paypal? Some buyers will be   limited because they only pay with checks or money orders.
Please think this over carefully before you do this.
by: mani

Tue Jan 29 12:28:22 2008
This is a typical mentality of retailer infused in ebay : if customer insult and cursed you just say thanks.  The only difference is that eBay thinks this is sellers that pays the price.  WRONG many powersellers leave and who pays those hefty fees.

Bring Pier back to see what they have done to the original ideas.

I am looking for better venue to sell
by: tula

Tue Jan 29 12:30:12 2008
Um, isn't this how Amazon works now?  From my experiences buying on many venues, I don't think I've seen many others that rate buyers.  However, it sounds like Amazon does have some level of seller protection in place.  I am a little concerned that this new change might increase buyer fraud activity, though I can see why they're doing it.  Most other sites don't require rating of the buyer.  I'm going to wait and see.  I'm diversifying into other sites as well, but I'm not quite ready to abandon eBay as of yet.
by: Mary

Tue Jan 29 12:30:33 2008
Wow I can't believe what I am reading! Ebay it seems want to flush out the oldtimers that made them what they are today! It seems like they want us to leave. The feedback is a joke.It very identical to Amazon, only Amazon you can't respond to buyers feedback. I really do see Ebay going away from live auctions in the near future. Ebay needs more competition. Come on Amazon step up to the plate for live auctions and never listing fees! I am starting Amazon in March, just waiting on Ebay for the new fees to come out . I have had it. I have been selling on Ebay since 2001, thanks for the memories!
by: James

Tue Jan 29 12:31:25 2008
Very interesting. A little energy, finally. Good or bad? The changes seem reasonably intelligent to me and I will be interested to see how they play out.

I like that providing good customer service can improve savings on FV fees. Further, removing neg feedback after 12 months provides additional incentive to present buyers with the best possible experience.

The inability to leave negative feedback for buyers is nicely offset by the decreased risk to sellers by virtue of protection being expanded to included unverified addresses.

This looks like an interesting experiment to me and shows signs of imagination and creativity that have been lacking for several years under the illustrious former CEO.

Let's put our crash helmets on and ride this puppy down the hill. Sellers sure do seem to be a grumpy lot.

James
by: LP

Tue Jan 29 12:31:52 2008
Why on earth would you have a feedback system that mandates only one possible feedback from the sellers but gives free reign to the buyers?  Don't you guys know you make your money from ME?  Not them.  You take a percentage of my sale, listing fees, a percentage of my payment on paypal - which I have to use in order to get seller protection (if you think I have nothing at risk in this transaction, then you are just NUTS and don't understand how it works.)  You already give the buyer back their money any time that they ask for it even though in any other circumstance it wouldn't go that way.  Buyers can just ask to have a strike removed and you guys take it away - and I have no easy way of seeing those as a seller to decide whether or not I want to deal with that buyer.

Now you want to give sellers the opportunity to unfairly neg me, and with your new seller restrictions run the risk that I can't sell at all?  Have any of you making policy actually sold anything on ebay?  Have you dealt with the unreasonable communications and requests that come from some buyers.

I rely on negative feedback from other sellers to block bidders.  I will cancel a bid if a buyer has a long history of negative feedback because I know it's a hassle waiting to happen.  You've hamstrung me, and I'm probably gone.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)