728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

by: karen

Tue Jan 29 11:19:26 2008
I thought my calendar was wrong & this was an April Fool's joke!  HUGE increase in Final Value Fees & no way to leave negative on a bad Buyer?!?!

Mr. Donohoe- this is LUDICROUS!
by: earle

Tue Jan 29 11:20:49 2008
Is this the Last Hooray of the Old Guard?

Paypal and eBay have the same "The Buyer is Always Right" attitude.  It seems that they for get it's the Seller that pays their extremely high fees.  When are they going to start caring about the ones that keeps paying their salaries?  No Sellers equals No Buyers!
by: princess

Tue Jan 29 11:23:15 2008
I hope MEG reads this...because I meet her in Vegas at the 2006 eBay Live...One of my questions to her was..."Will you always make sure us eBay sellers will be protected in every way possible" & you said, "yes".
WE HAVE BEEN THROWN TO THE DOGS ON THIS ONE! if anything....take away ALL f/b & do the star system...this cant be just one sided....Me like all other sellers on here have poured their hearts & souls in to this full time business & now we all will be forced to shut down & go on....As much as I loved eBay, I too will leave if this happens. I was a nurse for 10 yrs & gave it up for eBay....
by: Nathaniel

Tue Jan 29 11:24:19 2008
I see I'm not the only seller disturbed by these new changes. I can only really echo what others have already posted, that this is wholly unfair to sellers and gives buyers a huge advantage in the trading process. What's to stop buyers from being deadbeats, from holding sellers hostage with threats of negative feedback, etc.? There is now absolutely no recourse for sellers.
by: Lynne

Tue Jan 29 11:24:34 2008
So, Michael, if I buy something from you that you sell ''as is'' with NO returns but I change my mind due to buyer's remorse, will you refund my money to keep your 100% postive?  As a seller who also does all the right things; accurate descriptions, photos, actual postage charges, FAST shipping, thanking buyers and informing them of when items ship (same day payment received if I can get to the post office in time, next day if not) I still need to be able to protect myself from dishonest, new (possibly formerly banned)  and/or ignorant buyers via feedback.  There will be NO feedback left for buyers at all if I have to LIE in order to do so.  And, as already posted, your direct competitors who are perhaps not as smart as you think you are will wipe you out in no time.  Actually, I think you must be on eBay's payroll.  I just hope the 99.9% of sellers who are displeased and insulted by even the suggestion of such changes will keep me informed as to where they go so I can go with them. And eBay, when you bite the hand that feeds you don't expect to keep getting fed.
by: Roger

Tue Jan 29 11:28:30 2008
This is the stupidest thing yet that Ebay  management has come up with.All powersellers storeowners and other sellers should either shut down their Ebay site for a week or put their stores on vacation mode. Don't do any selling or allow any buying for a week. Don't list any new merchandise.The only thing Ebay understands is the almighty dollar.Time for all of Ebay management to retire with Meg Whitman
by: William

Tue Jan 29 11:29:32 2008
TWO QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS for Mr. Donahoe:

1) Regarding Buyer Accountability: I'd like to see a check box next to the bid button. Buyer must check the box before bidding and would be agreeing to having read the description in it's entirety, agreeing to seller's terms and understanding and agreeing to total shipping cost. If they do not check this box, they can still bid but lose feedback privileges.

2) I'd like to see PayPal take a more active role in chargeback disputes. Currently, with a weak US dollar, international customers have multiplied exponentially. This is great, but PayPal chargebacks from impatient int'l buyers have reached epidmeic proportions. On the homefront, I think PayPal should be more involved in disputes as well. All facts should be considered before granting a chargeback.

I think buyer only feedback is a good idea. Extremely radical to be sure, but a good idea. Sellers will belly ache for awhile, but I think all professional sellers understand the need to make the buying experience as friendly as possible. eBay has been hemmoraging buyers for awhile now due to poor selling practices (undisclosed damage, inflated shipping charges, poor packaging, feedback threats, unprofessional communication, etc.) Sellers will have to behave differently and I for one hope many sellers will leave. All the more buyers for me.
by: aviation

Tue Jan 29 11:35:11 2008
eBay: ''Since buyers take the primary risk in a transaction (sending money to a stranger), the goal of the Feedback system should be to enable them to accurately assess seller performance.''

This new plan completely ignores the seller's risk. A seller (who has a track record that a buyer can assess) sends a laptop (or other valuable item) to a buyer. The buyer claims a brick was received instead of a laptop. Now the seller can't warn other sellers. There are buyers who have a history of trying to scam honest sellers. Now, this won't be visible.
by: my goodies

Tue Jan 29 11:36:25 2008
If you fraud was rampant before, think again. If you think "the big seller's" will sit back and allow this, your sorely mistaken. when they leave too ebay, and they will... what will you do then for seller's? Oh you won't you'll be a has been, no more. you see, you're driving ALL seller's away from your site, of ALL sizes. NOT Bright are we?
by: my goodies

Tue Jan 29 11:37:05 2008
by: Ebay Seller

Tue Jan 29 11:37:47 2008
This is the most ABSURD thing ebay has come up with yet! I have been selling for YEARS and cannot believe ebay is tying the hands of sellers by using the feedback system in such a way. Not ALL buyers have good intentions, not ALL buyers are honest, not ALL buyers can be counted on to be honest in their feedback choices. Please RECONSIDER this UNFAIR and ARBITRARY decision! You WILL lose MANY MANY SELLERS with this. It must be obvious by how many angry replies you are receiving. Don't penalize loyal and good sellers.
by: MadMaven

Tue Jan 29 11:39:39 2008
This is it for me!!!!!!
I have over 5000 POSITIVE comments....and many happy buyers, but I cannot begin to tell how many  nightmarish BUYERS I have had to deal with!   There are so many out there that have out-n-out said they'd leave neg feedback because they say there was a missing button or a tiny flaw { that was probably non existent}-and instructed me to refund in full "or else" and they intend to keep this so-called defective item. And that's just one of a number of creeps out there that want something for NOTHING and will ruin your reputation without a care. If this new feedbcak system goes into effect, leaving sellers no rights , then I guarantee I am DONE with ebay....and though I have made ends meet with ebay sales { though ebay certainly profited MORE than I ever have}, I will do a massive spring clean in my ebay warehouse hell-house and be DONE with ebay permanemtly.....giving in to my newer and more enjoyable addiction of WORLD OF WARCRAFT. I have beter monsters to fight than ebay and it's buyer cronies.   Terri / Mad*Maven*Cyber*Closet {ebay id}
by: m varrone

Tue Jan 29 11:43:18 2008
As a seller,I have nearly 2000 transactions,a 99.9 feedback rating(1 neg with an apology from a newbie)and thusfar only 2 of my stars have been dinged to a 4.9.
I ship and leave positive feedback immediately upon receipt of payment;I have used unpaid item dispute,but do not leave negative feedback.
In the past year,I have had to jump thru hoops to satisfy buyers who attempted to manipulate the transaction,after winning.I have had to increasingly monitor auctions-cancelling bids and blocking more questionable buyers.
The internet has serious,quality buyers-but Ebay has decided to be the ''playground''for those that shop victoriously,encouraged that their demands and anonymous ratings will not affect sellers.
After 7 years,I am into my 2nd month of not listing-having waited for positive changes,which did not come.
by: Anne

Tue Jan 29 11:45:04 2008
I currently have over 13,000 positive feedbacks and a 99.8% rating.
I will be leaving Ebay after 10 years of selling, 7 of which were full time.
This change is totally one sided, and it also sounds illegal.
Mr. Donahue, you have RUINED Ebay.
Any ambitious lawyers out here?
by: NO MORE

Tue Jan 29 11:45:41 2008
I like Rogers thinking in earlier post!

LETS ALL GET TOGETHER ON THIS & FOR ONE WK, PUT YOUR STORE ON VACATION, DO NOT LIST ANYTHING & THEN LETS CHECK THE FIGUREs OF HOW MUCH DONAHOE WILL MAKE ON THIS STUPID DECISION!.......BUT WE ALL HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER & DO THIS! If you are in ....post it & let do it starting now!
by: ?????

Tue Jan 29 11:48:27 2008
This blog has already been sent to my local new & to Fox....after the cat is let out of the bag, it wont take ALL sellers long now!

Because they will not even know about it until it happens & then it will be to late, i'll be leaving now, while my feedback is over 6k @ 99.7% I'll leave w/ a clean slate. Thanks for nothing eBay!
by: I. Stein

Tue Jan 29 11:52:35 2008
I cannot believe that even eBay would think of something as ridiculously unfair as this.
If there is a FB system, all of it needs to be available to sellers and buyers.
Buyers already have an advantage  and a way of expressing themselves with not fear of retaliation- they have the Detailed Stars.. which BTW are quite unfair to  sellers. who cannot control shipping times - especially if they are international sellers..
by: Lynne

Tue Jan 29 11:52:47 2008
eBay has had so few listings lately and they are feeling the economic crunch that everyone in this mighty USA is feeling.  They have already had to have listing sales several times this year to try and stimulate income and it is only January! That being said, it is important and fine to keep your buyers happy, but what shall they buy when so little is listed and available?  Will you charge a fee and commission to the buyers when the majority of your cash cows (sellers) leave for greener pastures?
by: Laura

Tue Jan 29 11:54:23 2008
**************************************

"We'll increase block bidder list capacity from 1,000 to 5,000 user IDs."

How will we be able to tell who the bidders are that we want to block if we can't leave negative feedback huh?  Answer that one.

***************************************
by: L

Tue Jan 29 11:54:54 2008
As a business owner I was thrilled to be able to move and liquidate my excess stock.  In the brick and mortar world we do not have a sign up for people to leave us feedback. Recently I had to deal with a buyer who was claiming they had not received their item. I had proof of delivery thank goodness. That buyer threatened me with bad feedback. Because ebay is an extension of my business, having bad feedback is reflected onto my business reputation in real time as well. I am not sure I am willing to risk my business reputation at this point. I think the feedback system is totally flawed.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)